U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 10:16 PM

4,151 posts, read 1,617,029 times

Advertisements

Canada is often said to be the mini-me, the sidekick to America, "America-lite." (See Canada vs. America comparison below).

Suppose your state was its own country, its own mini-America. What neighboring state would be its mini-me, its sidekick?

I'm currently living in Oklahoma. There really is no state that is a mini-me Oklahoma, or "Oklahoma-lite."

BUT Oklahoma is a "Texas-lite" in the same way Canada is a "America-lite." Seriously, Oklahoma is basically Texas' Canada!

Canada vs. America:

1. Canada has a very different history from America but due to their proximity, Canadian culture became very similar to American culture.
2. Though both countries are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Canada has more Asians while the U.S. has more Blacks and Hispanics.
3. Canadian accents (outside of Quebec) are similar to American accents, EXCEPT for a few words like "progress," "drama," and "sorry" which are pronounced more like the British pronunciation.
4. Canadians are more reserved than their blustery American peers.
5. Canada has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than America.
6. Canada has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's even colder), while the Southern U.S. has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Canada has brands that are quite similar to their U.S. peers, like Tim Horton's being the Canadian answer to Dunkin' Donuts
8. Canada is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, America.
9. Both Canada and America share quintessentially North American sports: Ice Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball
10. Both countries are known for maple syrup

Oklahoma vs. Texas:

1. Oklahoma has a very different history from Texas but due to their proximity, Oklahoman culture became very similar to Texan culture.
2. Though both states are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Oklahoma has more American Indians while Texas has more Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics.
3. Oklahoman accents are similar to Texan accents, EXCEPT for a few words which are pronounced more like the Midwestern pronunciation.
4. Oklahomans are more reserved than their blustery Texan peers.
5. Oklahoma has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than Texas.
6. Oklahoma has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's colder), while Southern Texas has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Oklahoma has brands that are quite similar to their Texan peers, like Taco Mayo being the Oklahoman answer to Texas' Taco Bueno.
8. Oklahoma is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, Texas.
9. Both Oklahoma and Texas share a common love and rivalry of football.
10. Both states are known for Pecan Pie

No wonder Oklahoma has a city called "Yukon" in Canadian County!

Oklahoma! Our home and native land!
True patriot love, in all our sons command!
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The True North strong and free,
From Far and Wide
Oklahoma
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land
Glorious and free
Oklahoma we stand on guard for thee!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 PM

4,444 posts, read 1,570,929 times
I live in Mass, and our Mini-Mass is Rhode Island. very interconnected, we like the same sports teams, both run on the MBTA and we both say wicked and bang-a-uey and stuff like that. We also like eachother unlike Mass' relationship with NH.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:18 AM

22,418 posts, read 6,101,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Canada is often said to be the mini-me, the sidekick to America, "America-lite." (See Canada vs. America comparison below).

Suppose your state was its own country, its own mini-America. What neighboring state would be its mini-me, its sidekick?

I'm currently living in Oklahoma. There really is no state that is a mini-me Oklahoma, or "Oklahoma-lite."

BUT Oklahoma is a "Texas-lite" in the same way Canada is a "America-lite." Seriously, Oklahoma is basically Texas' Canada!

Canada vs. America:

1. Canada has a very different history from America but due to their proximity, Canadian culture became very similar to American culture.
2. Though both countries are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Canada has more Asians while the U.S. has more Blacks and Hispanics.
3. Canadian accents (outside of Quebec) are similar to American accents, EXCEPT for a few words like "progress," "drama," and "sorry" which are pronounced more like the British pronunciation.
4. Canadians are more reserved than their blustery American peers.
5. Canada has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than America.
6. Canada has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's even colder), while the Southern U.S. has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Canada has brands that are quite similar to their U.S. peers, like Tim Horton's being the Canadian answer to Dunkin' Donuts
8. Canada is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, America.
9. Both Canada and America share quintessentially North American sports: Ice Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball
10. Both countries are known for maple syrup

Oklahoma vs. Texas:

1. Oklahoma has a very different history from Texas but due to their proximity, Oklahoman culture became very similar to Texan culture.
2. Though both states are plurality white, proportionally speaking, Oklahoma has more American Indians while Texas has more Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics.
3. Oklahoman accents are similar to Texan accents, EXCEPT for a few words which are pronounced more like the Midwestern pronunciation.
4. Oklahomans are more reserved than their blustery Texan peers.
5. Oklahoma has a more sluggish, less diversified economy than Texas.
6. Oklahoma has a similar climate as the Northern U.S. (except it's colder), while Southern Texas has a far hotter and humid climate than anywhere in Canada.
7. Oklahoma has brands that are quite similar to their Texan peers, like Taco Mayo being the Oklahoman answer to Texas' Taco Bueno.
8. Oklahoma is that kid that's always in the shadow of his big brother, Texas.
9. Both Oklahoma and Texas share a common love and rivalry of football.
10. Both states are known for Pecan Pie

No wonder Oklahoma has a city called "Yukon" in Canadian County!

Oklahoma! Our home and native land!
True patriot love, in all our sons command!
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The True North strong and free,
From Far and Wide
Oklahoma
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land
Glorious and free
I live in Texas and I guess it would be Oklahoma but idk for sure.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 AM

931 posts, read 1,057,311 times
" Both countries are known for maple syrup"...……………...better not come to Canada and say that unless you have a really solid dental plan!

Old 01-09-2020, 06:48 AM

10,223 posts, read 4,003,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I live in Mass, and our Mini-Mass is Rhode Island. very interconnected, we like the same sports teams, both run on the MBTA and we both say wicked and bang-a-uey and stuff like that. We also like eachother unlike Mass' relationship with NH.
Yep

Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM

1,124 posts, read 487,704 times
I think Alabama is a bit of one to Georgia.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM

8,256 posts, read 15,326,581 times
New York is a hard one. It can't be NJ because SNJ shares too much with Philly in PA. It could maybe be CT, but the eastern part of CT has a lot of Boston/RI affiliation. That would leave maybe VT. While VT is not similar to NYC really at all, it has some similarities with Upstate NY. Yet still, VT is far more liberal than Upstate NY.

If NY were its own country and had to take some others with, you'd have to divide western CT and NNJ. They're the only ones that work, but the entire states don't. All three are heavily Italian and Jewish. And western CT, NYC Metro in NY, and NNJ all basically grew up together as one region. They like the same teams, have similar accents, similar ancestries, similar climates, etc. The problem is just eastern CT and SNJ are affiliated with different states.

If CA were its own country, it would likely take NV with it. Up until recently, they were vastly different. But recently, with all the Californians moving to LV, NV has turned quite progressive and is seemingly attempting to mirror the progressive politics of CA. Then the simple fact that so many Californians have moved to LV. The Latino populations are large in both. The Raiders fan base in both. Historically both were settles for mining, though we see which state ended up doing better in that department. Reno-Tahoe area is basically a combination of CA-NV already. So many Angelenos visit LV regularly that there is a planned high speed rail connecting the two.

KY is a difficult one. Western KY is more like TN or Southern IL/IN. Northern KY is basically Cincinnati. Eastern KY is basically WV. Southern KY has a lot of connections with TN. And then there are just Louisville, Frankfort, and Lexington in the middle. I think the only possible option for KY is combining it with WV as the two states that split off from VA.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM

4,867 posts, read 3,213,182 times
Although not perfect, I feel like WI is more of a mini MN than any state being a mini WI.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM

849 posts, read 336,700 times
Iowa and Nebraska are kinda twins. Nebraska is bigger physically, Iowa by population, but across the board they're very similar on a lot of fronts.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 PM

849 posts, read 336,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Although not perfect, I feel like WI is more of a mini MN than any state being a mini WI.
They have an awful lot in common. The relationship between those two is analogous to Iowa/Nebraska.

I think Indiana is kind of a mini-Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.