Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 63,999 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a degree in IT and have been applying to both areas. Both have a lot of IT jobs, but Denver is more expensive and I've heard that NC is better for tech careers. I have a brother in Denver and have visited twice. I loved it. I am from FL and it is colder and drier then I am used to, but I never liked the humidity or heat of FL. I spent my early childhood in highpoint, NC (near winstom-salem). I have a sweet spot for NC and have thought about moving back for a long time. Just torn and I'm probably going to ramble a little bit.

I love the mountains and dont care for the beach. I like outdoor activities like hiking, mtb, and kayaking. Access to skiing/snowboarding is not a priority though. I've never been into snow sports, but I have lived in FL the last 15 years... Both Denver and Charlotte are relatively close to the mountains, but Denver has the upper hand. I'm not sure which scenery I like better tbh. Access to outdoor activities is a priority, but I think that both areas have that, but Denver probably has the upper hand.

Im a 26m and I'd consider myself moderate when it comes to politics. I'm religious, but more progressive then most of the conservatives Christians I know. I currently live in Trumpland and I'm over it. I know that Denver is more progressive then Charlotte or Raleigh area, but I know that those NC cities aren't supper conservative either. Sometimes I think Denver is too liberal for me, but honestly it didnt bother me when visiting. I flat out do not want to live in a highly conservative area though, but I do not think Charlotte or Raleigh is too conservative for me?...

Weather... I am kind of freaked out by the long CO winters. Just a lot of snow. But I visited CO for a week and it was sunny and hit almost 60 degrees in Denver while I was there. So I guess within the city it doesnt that bad. I also noticed that there where no bugs. I get eaten alive in FL by mosquitoes and its awful. NC seems to have shorter winters which I prefer, but also has more bugs and is humid. Its got to be better then FL humidity though. I now that it rains more in NC.

Overall moving to NC would be easier and cheaper. Its a day drive from me and CoL is better. IT work is better in NC too from what I've heard and experienced. There are tons of good cities in the area, so even If I moved to Charlotte I could easily take a job in a city nearby later. I could see myself owning a home here, while in Denver I see myself renting forever.

Denver is more expensive, but still has a good economy. There are IT jobs, but I've heard that it is hard to move up past entry level. It would be harder for me to transition there and my Honda Civic would probably have me trapped in the city for parts of the year. CO is also more isolated then NC. I do love those mountains though!! I'm honestly concerned about the future of Denver and the rising CoL. So many people are moving there. Homelessness is an issue and I can't imagine trying to own a home there.

I could always move to CO if I moved to NC or vice versa. I just visited Denver so I was dreaming about moving there, but as soon as I got home I started to think about how much easier it may be to make the move to NC instead.

My brother does live in Denver, but has complained about the rising cost of living. He may relocated at some point himself. I've thought that it might be better to visit CO, then live in CO.

Im not sure though. My mind was racing with the idea of moving out to CO just yesterday while I was flying back to FL, but after I slept and woke up in FL I am thinking again that maybe NC would be better.

I'll stop there. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 01:43 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Honestly, Charlotte isn't really "cheap" anymore either, so you're going to deal with rising COL in both locations.

The longer summers in NC will give you more time for those outdoor activities (since you mentioned you're not into snowsports), but CO is simply going to be better at it.

Otherwise, both are great cities to choose from. I'd pick Denver, but I'm heavily biased towards skiing . Also, I'm the type that would go for the more drastic option. Try to make sure you get a job lined up before moving to either, though. Or if your brother is willing to let you crash on his couch in Denver, then maybe that's something to consider while doing a job search.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:53 PM

It would be up to my brothers landlord. Answer is most likely a no, but I could ask. From what I have seen and heard, I thought could get much better rent around Charlotte. Renting an apartment in the heart of any city will be expensive, but I've seen better rent prices near Charlotte, then when I checked out Denver

Old 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
You're still young, why not try Denver? Should be more different from what you're familiar with. If it turns out it is too liberal, or isolated, or competitive in IT, or whatever, you'll still have plenty of young-adult years to look for jobs in other places and try to establish yourself there.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Denver is significantly more urban than the giant suburbs that are Charlotte and Raleigh. Denver is also very high COL as you know. Personally I would choose Denver due to the urban form, bigger mountains and more progressive politics. You're young...Charlotte and Raleigh are heavily marketed towards families. It can get annoying sometimes actually.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Denver is significantly more urban than the giant suburbs that are Charlotte and Raleigh. Denver is also very high COL as you know. Personally I would choose Denver due to the urban form, bigger mountains and more progressive politics. You're young...Charlotte and Raleigh are heavily marketed towards families. It can get annoying sometimes actually.
Good points, although to be fair, the urban cores (albeit very small) of Charlotte and Raleigh are much more fun and less family-oriented than the suburbs. Things get boring very quickly once you leave those areas, though.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
I'd opt for the Raleigh/RTP area, living in Durham. It's a good-sized city with lots to do (restaurants, music, minor-league ball, etc.) and is adjacent to RTP (a commute to Raleigh, though, would be a bit of a pain). Your 3+ hours from the Blue Ridge mountains, so not as close as Denver.
I've always felt Denver's a bit isolated. Yes, lots to do within a reasonably drive, but not really connected to any other significant-sized cities in the area. Raleigh's reasonably close to Charlotte, Greensboro, Richmond, Wilmington, and is an hour or so flight to DC/Philly/NYC/Atlanta.
The southern summers, though, they suck (I lived in Chapel Hill for 30+ years). Flip side is that winter's a joke.
You've got a lot to consider, given your post, but on balance I think you're better off in NC.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
I'd apply to jobs in both and get that part figured out first.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:03 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I'd apply to jobs in both and get that part figured out first.
This. But I'd goto Denver if given your situation. You want change.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:45 PM

most are recommending me to move to Denver, but I am leaning towards NC haha. Here is several reasons why...
TN, NC, SC, GA, and VA all have major cities where there is a lot of IT work. They are all close. It would be relatively easy for me to move from Raleigh to Charlotte or to Atlanta or Chatanooga, etc. Plus finding a affordable housing situation is much easier in my opinion in the area. I cant imagine trying to live in Denver longterm tbh. Moving to NC just would be easier and might even be better for me career wise.

I see Denver as a place to visit and fear that the housing will just continue to skyrocket out of control. I feel like I would be house poor in Denver.

After living in a retirement town I want to move somewhere with more people under 40. Denver might be more excited, but NC makes more sense to me right know. I dont know what I'll do, but obviously job offers will play a big role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.