Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What’s the metro range for decent anonymity?
500k- 1 million 11 34.38%
1-2 million 6 18.75%
2-4 million 6 18.75%
4 million plus 9 28.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 05:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,286,245 times

Advertisements

How often do you run into people connected to people that you know or people that know these people and what size metro do you live in?

In my case, in Atlanta I sometimes run into people who know people that I know, it happens a good bit. My mother who is a “complete” born and raised New Yorker refers to Atlanta as small in social terms. That’s weird to me given how big of a transplant culture we have here.

At what point does this “oh I know him/her” become less of a thing in a city in your eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 05:42 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,343,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
How often do you run into people connected to people that you know or people that know these people and what size metro do you live in?

In my case, in Atlanta I sometimes run into people who know people that I know, it happens a good bit. My mother who is a “complete” born and raised New Yorker refers to Atlanta as small in social terms. That’s weird to me given how big of a transplant culture we have here.

At what point does this “oh I know him/her” become less of a thing in a city in your eyes?
Great poll question....from living in San Diego I’m going with 4 million +.

San Diego is 3.4 million metro and I still awkwardly run into work people around town.

I remember living in Columbus and trying to make it seem big yet running into the same people all the tine.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:57 PM

6,433 posts, read 5,082,198 times
When I lived in Reno (metro ~450k) I didn't see people I knew that often outside social events. If I got far enough from downtown/Midtown I never saw them at all.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:35 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,443,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

I live in a metro that has about 280 to 300 thousand all together and i run into people 4 to 5 times a week.I think i would need to live somewhere that had at least 1 million for anonymity.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 PM

11,198 posts, read 7,253,117 times
I've seen anonymity in cities of 100-200k. It really depends on the culture of the area, if people tend to get out and rub shoulders a lot, or hide out at home. I.e. a tendency toward extroverted or introverted, etc.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,788,008 times
Totally depends on your habits in a big city. If you know a lot of people and go to similar places you run into people you know frequently. Of course this happens much more in a very small place, but once you are in a pro sports size city, I think it just depends on your habits and social scene. And I've even randomly run into people I know walking around in NYC. I would just guess that living in a metro of under 1 million it has to happen very often. maybe a metro of over 2 million it happens less often, but still you will likely run into someone you know by random maybe every week or two.

And I think mathematically, you will encounter Kevin Bacon every 6 weeks or so.

Last edited by _Buster; 01-10-2020 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-10-2020, 07:45 PM

1,228 posts, read 803,157 times
In my metro of the “Triangle,” (i.e. Raleigh/Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill), which as a CSA is over 2 mil, I’ve seen a reasonable anonymity. Many of my work colleagues cluster in suburban communities near the Research Triangle Park, I live closer to downtown Raleigh, and only rarely run across them in my homelife, unless a random encounter at a major mall, or at a big regional event for kids.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,418,198 times
DC feels like a small place. Everyone seems to run into people they know daily.

I think cities where you walk more you’re probably less likely to be anonymous. I think cities that arent complete walkable cities (where nearly all your activities are walkable. Groceries, shopping, DMV, etc and not just like.) or suburbs it’s probably very easy to be anonymous

Old 01-11-2020, 12:05 AM

2,664 posts, read 2,127,520 times
From a small city (35K) and only bump into a couple familiar faces in several months.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,467,505 times
I run into people I know all the time in Philadelphia. I've only lived here ~2.5 years. My guess is only NYC, Los Angeles and maybe Chicago feel this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.