Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 12:34 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,669,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Springfield is bigger, then why does citi-data show that Lincoln is considerably bigger? Or does Springfield simply feels bigger to you?
Springfield's metro area is bigger, but the city is smaller. It's all offset by Lincoln's proximity to Omaha though. Springfield's nearest big city is 3 hours to Kansas City or 4 to St. Louis if you're going the speed limits.
Lincoln will be a good bit colder in winter, but not exactly the north pole. They're both susceptible to extremes from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 12:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 869,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Springfield's metro area is bigger, but the city is smaller. It's all offset by Lincoln's proximity to Omaha though. Springfield's nearest big city is 3 hours to Kansas City or 4 to St. Louis if you're going the speed limits.
Lincoln will be a good bit colder in winter, but not exactly the north pole. They're both susceptible to extremes from time to time.
Springfield is like 2.5 hours from Tulsa, which is pretty nice, and quite urban as well.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Springfield is like 2.5 hours from Tulsa, which is pretty nice, and quite urban as well.
I keep forgetting about Tulsa. Not sure it offers much more to do than Springfield, certainly not in the way KC and St. Louis does.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM

17,625 posts, read 13,438,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I keep forgetting about Tulsa. Not sure it offers much more to do than Springfield, certainly not in the way KC and St. Louis does.
Springfield is way more similar to Northwest Arkansas than it is Tulsa. Pretty much an overgrown small college town. Tulsa is a small major city. I suppose "things to do" is a matter of interpretation but when you are in downtown Tulsa vs downtown Springfield you are in two completely different environments. And when you are driving around town you can sure tell the difference.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If Springfield is bigger, then why does citi-data show that Lincoln is considerably bigger? Or does Springfield simply feels bigger to you?
It is a larger metropolitan area.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 AM

Yeah, Springfield and Tulsa aren't in the same tier at all. Tulsa is far closer to KC and St Louis in terms of amenities than Springfield is to Tulsa.

Tulsa feels like a bigger city than it is, or it's nation-wide reputation would put it.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM
sub

Here's the thing: I lived near Springfield a few years and pretty much no one went to Tulsa for anything unless maybe if they had family there.
They went to KC and St. Louis all the time. Museums, sports, shopping... no offense to Tulsa, but while it might be a step up from Springfield, it's as close to being like that than it is to being like those larger cities. For close-by touristy stuff, Springfield has Branson next door.
Anything more than an hour or so is going to be a weekend trip anyway, and the bigger Missouri cities are much more of a draw for that than Tulsa.
As for Lincoln, Omaha is right there very close, and it's also about 3 hours from Kansas City. If a person wants more outdoorsy stuff like fishing, Springfield is in the middle of all that.
When it's all said and done, a person still has to live in the town they choose day to day. For that, Lincoln just seems like a nicer place.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM

I'm not saying that Tulsa is on par with KC or St Louis in amenities, just that's a long ways ahead of Springfield.

I totally agree that if you're into the outdoors, Springfield is the clear choice.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM

8,591 posts, read 14,752,716 times
If I were to move to Nebraska, I'd live in the northwestern part of the state - Chadron, Scottsbluff, or Valentine. Some pretty country in that part of the state. Healthcare and jobs would be tough sledding there, though. But I digress...

Springfield is considerably more verdant than Lincoln if trees are important to you.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 AM

8 posts, read 2,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given the need/desire for quality medical care your final two options are quite limited and wonder how you wound up with those two given better options similarly priced. Columbia MO has the well-regarded U of Missouri Medical Center and is about the same cost as Springfield. Tulsa OK is even cheaper than your two options and has the Oklahoma State U Medical Center which is of higher quality as well.
Thanks for all the good replies. Colombia I think is much higher in rent costs than Springfield, but I agree probably has much better medical. Tulsa is also higher than either Springfield or Lincoln. I have been to both and they are nice cities. But you're right, both probably superior for healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.