Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:56 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas
Lexington, KY
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 11,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think the point wasn’t “no politics” as much as “balanced”. None of these places are Berkeley.
That's correct - I'm anti elitist, politically radical jerks. I can easily get along with "normal" people of all political orientations. I just don't need or want other people wedging their politics into my daily life.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not to knock Richmond, which is a fine city in many respects, but the fact remains that it is the capital of its state. It, like any capital, is going to be more politically oriented than a non-capital, just by the nature of what it is. This effect is going to be more pronounced in a smaller city than a larger one (such as Atlanta), just because the ebb and flow of state government will be more pronounced in a smaller city with fewer other industries or employment sectors.

I'm not saying that the OP should eliminate Richmond from consideration. But since he specifically would like to find a more non-political environment, Richmond (and any state capital, especially a smaller one) is going to automatically come with a built-in point against it.
I disagree. Just because it's the state capital doesn't mean that the resident population is highly partisan.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Any of the "mini-Atlanta" growing Southern cities would be fine. I grew up in Cary... and you sound like a great match for Charlotte

NW Arkansas is an interesting idea, growing fast but few finance jobs. Maybe Kansas City? Baltimore, though it's pretty clubby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded_1 View Post
the pace of development... job flexibility (banking/financial services/commercial real estate)
I say this with love, since I work in CRE, but uh... you do realize that fast-paced development = lots of jobs in CRE.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Any of the "mini-Atlanta" growing Southern cities would be fine. I grew up in Cary... and you sound like a great match for Charlotte

NW Arkansas is an interesting idea, growing fast but few finance jobs. Maybe Kansas City? Baltimore, though it's pretty clubby.

I say this with love, since I work in CRE, but uh... you do realize that fast-paced development = lots of jobs in CRE.
Yes - I do realize this. My measuring stick for pace of development is Atlanta and specifically my neighborhood. The pace of development I see outside of my window is staggering - way too intense for me. I think that cities like Charlotte, Raleigh and Richmond are contenders. Steady growth with decent job options, but not recklessly expanding like Atlanta. I’m in asset management/risk management, so I could conceivably get a gig with either a larger company that has a local presence or a smaller owner/operator who is scaling up. Right now, Richmond looks really interesting to me. I’m going to try and visit there this spring.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 AM

383 posts, read 512,613 times
Columbus might fit your needs. Chase Bank has the second largest amount of employees behind NYC in Columbus. It's a larger metro, that tends to stay under the radar but offers a wide variety of employment, for a low cost compared to most of the country. Winters might be questionable but this year has been warmer than normal.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Knoxville meets your requirements except the finance / CRE industry is pretty local. A couple of cities where I have seen towers with the names of national "brands" (Fidelity, Schwab, etc) are Chattanooga and Greenville.

Those are close enough I expect you have visited. If you could say why you ruled them out that might help with the suggestions for other places. I don't think you are looking for a Unicorn city that doesn't exist.

Last edited by creeksitter; 01-25-2020 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus might fit your needs. Chase Bank has the second largest amount of employees behind NYC in Columbus. It's a larger metro, that tends to stay under the radar but offers a wide variety of employment, for a low cost compared to most of the country. Winters might be questionable but this year has been warmer than normal.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville meets your requirements except the finance / CRE industry is pretty local. A couple of cities where I have seen towers with the names of national "brands" (Fidelity, Schwab, etc) are Chattanooga and Greenville.

Those are close enough I expect you have visited. If you could say why you ruled them out that might help with the suggestions for other places. I don't think you are looking for a Unicorn city that doesn't exist.
I went to college in Knoxville and would rule that one out. I haven’t visited Chattanooga in decades, but I hear good things about it. I’ll put that one on the radar screen. Appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree. Just because it's the state capital doesn't mean that the resident population is highly partisan.
I agree /\. I've found this to be true in my travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.