Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 03:37 PM

134 posts, read 192,526 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with having dual residency status in two states? I'm domiciled in Texas but am considering a long-term (1 year) "permanent" job in Colorado. I know I would end up as a statutory resident but I still want to maintain my Texas citizenship. I'm guessing I'm probably going to have to talk to an attorney eventually. Just planning ahead. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 03:40 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Domicile is determined by the last state in which you resided in and had an intent to remain.

So its likely, you will continue to be a citizen of / domiciled in Texas since your job is only for one year.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:50 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,540,278 times
If you're only going for a year, and maintain a Texas address, nothing will force you to establish Colorado residency.

BTW, you're also a "citizen" of the United States. There's no such thing as state citizenship, even for "the Republic of Texas." The concept of state residency is surprisingly fungible, speaking as someone who's always had to file multiple state tax returns.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,772 times
That's a good question......

A lot of my snowbird friends vote in Florida, have their permanent residence in Florida and that's where they pay taxes. Everything is registered in Florida, but they spend half the year up here in Michigan.

Most people want to avoid paying taxes in two places if they can avoid it.

I found your question interesting because I really don't know the answer to it either.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:06 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
Anyone have any experience with having dual residency status in two states? I'm domiciled in Texas but am considering a long-term (1 year) "permanent" job in Colorado. I know I would end up as a statutory resident but I still want to maintain my Texas citizenship. I'm guessing I'm probably going to have to talk to an attorney eventually. Just planning ahead. TIA.

There is no "Texas citizenship". Can you please explain what a statutory resident is? Thank you.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:17 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Consult with a tax attorney too. State taxes are based on where you work and/or where you live. Sometimes there is reciprocity and sometimes not.

By the way you mean residency not citizenship.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:33 PM

134 posts, read 192,526 times
Sorry for the confusion I'm a bit under the weather).

Statutory residency is usually what one is considered being after spending 184 days or more in a state.

Even if the situation turns out that I have to pat CO state income tax TX has none. And it looks like the CO state income tax isn't very high.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:41 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowMeBryan View Post
Sorry for the confusion I'm a bit under the weather).

Statutory residency is usually what one is considered being after spending 184 days or more in a state.

Even if the situation turns out that I have to pat CO state income tax TX has none. And it looks like the CO state income tax isn't very high.
It you are an expat. Not as US citizen or Green Card holder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.