Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 10:41 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times

Advertisements

*** disclaimer ***
Fulton Mall in Downtown Brooklyn was actually first to do this way back in the ‘70s, but didn’t want to overcomplicate the title

So for those of you that might not know: last October NYC banned private cars from 14th street in Manhattan, effectively turning it into a busway.

2 days ago, San Francisco followed suit with a similar car ban on Market street.

Could this be the start of a larger trend? What major streets in your city could benefit from a car ban?
NYers + San Franciscans: feel free to share personal feedback & pictures/videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:46 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
DC/LA could use them

Old 01-31-2020, 03:11 AM

410 posts, read 633,615 times
The US is certainly returning to a more pedestrian oriented form in their cities. It's quite refreshing. There seems to be a cycling boom, and the popularity of dedicated bus lanes are contributing factors.

In Chicago, where I currently live, we had State St turned into a pedestrian mall some decades back. It was considered a failure and turned into a normal street. I'm unsure of any potential places where there is a need to ban cars, at least outside of peak travel times. Seasonal ban on cars could also work on certain avenues. Potentially parts of Clark St or in the CBD. People might balk at this but personally a huge stretch of Milwaukee Avenue is viable. Sometimes there are as many bikes as cars. Once electric bikes and scooters go online in the city, we could potentially morph this into a cycle/scooter highway of sorts. There's already the 606 trail, which is a walking path/bike trail that is perpendicular to Milwaukee. Could pave the way for a whole new form of mobility.

In San Francisco, there were some rumblings about Valencia correct? That would be great. There's no Muni running on that line too. That means there could be room for more bike lanes, or outdoor dining spaces etc! I've heard some people suggest Mission as well. However, that might not happen.

Montreal could benefit from pedestrian zones. Perhaps Rue St Paul in the Old City? Any Montrealers could help with this. I haven't been in years and my knowledge is rusty. But I do know there is demand for this type of development. Hell, parts of Old Montreal are so narrow and have so much street activity I think it could be a no brainer.

Los Angeles. Boy, they should do something with Hollywood Blvd. For sure.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:02 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Denver's 16th Street was converted way back in the early 80s into a pedestrian mall and transit-way as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_Street_Mall

Old 01-31-2020, 05:02 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Here is a recent article from the LA Times on a proposal to road diet Hollywood Blvd. It is probably LA's most congested street for pedestrians because so many people walk and take photos of the famous stars plus people selling food in carts or homeless sleeping on sidewalk, or people getting you to ride in their tour vans of celebrity homes, superheroes asking for money, breakdancers, and people giving their rap CDs. But wider sidewalks could mean dining tables, more nightlife, etc.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...lpPuDTORsDoZcQ

Other than that, I think other road diets are planned for Downtown LA especially on 7th Street and Broadway. but who knows what will happen.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:08 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
DC/LA could use them
As a former DC resident I could see Connecticut Ave NW from K Street To Dupont Circle, Pennsylvania Ave NW from 6th Street to the White House or Pennsylvania Ave SE from 2nd Street to 7th Street as prime options.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
For a few days every summer, Newbury Street in Boston becomes pedestrian-only.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:35 AM

822 posts, read 856,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
For a few days every summer, Newbury Street in Boston becomes pedestrian-only.
that street should always be pedestrian only. It's always congested.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
How do businesses and residents along these streets receive deliveries? I guess companies just utilize drones or cyclists for deliveries in these areas?

Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
How do businesses and residents along these streets receive deliveries? I guess companies just utilize drones or cyclists for deliveries in these areas?
The blocks are only like 200ft long. For residents the trucks will just stop on the cross streets probably. Commercial devliverird will probably have certain hours. DTX in Boston managers for 45 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.