Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think peoples' view of NYC is positive no matter if they've visited or not but it's usually slightly more positive if they have never visited. The main thing is about the cleanliness of various parts of the city - a lot of people I've found are taken aback by that specifically but mostly nothing else and they do see it as a big negative. So do a lot of people who live here too. This is just reality but overall most people have positive views of NYC - good food, architecture, shopping, transportation, etc.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that people comment on the amount of diversity in NYC that they see, especially if they are not coming from a few cities in Australia or London (etc).
I get that in a lot of parts of America.. people from the UK are especially taken back on how each part of the US is so different.. like Miami vs NYC vs DC vs Boston vs Chicago vs El Paso vs LA vs SF vs Savannah vs Memphis vs Nola ... all different feels and it truly is an enlightening experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 11:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
People traveling to NYC while I'm in NYC:
1. "Wow it's a lot dirtier than I expected"
2. Subways are a great way to get around.
3. "Things are very expensive!"
4. Great food!
5. "So many tall buildings" if they are from Europe.
I'm always surprised when people say they think New York is dirty. I've been there several times, and I didn't really get that impression. Seemed adequately clean to me. There are some areas of Manhattan that are kind of sketchy; for being such a trendy neighborhood, Tribeca seemed pretty rough in spots.

What I find most surprising is the horrific state of some of the subway stations. There are several that look like grimy, crumbling concrete bunkers with rusting iron beams everywhere and a general look of disrepair. Pretty embarrassing for one of the most iconic cities in the world to have such a neglected subway system.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:28 AM

330 posts, read 294,115 times
Quote:
I think peoples' view of NYC is positive no matter if they've visited or not but it's usually slightly more positive if they have never visited. The main thing is about the cleanliness of various parts of the city - a lot of people I've found are taken aback by that specifically but mostly nothing else and they do see it as a big negative. So do a lot of people who live here too. This is just reality but overall most people have positive views of NYC - good food, architecture, shopping, transportation, etc.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that people comment on the amount of diversity in NYC that they see, especially if they are not coming from a few cities in Australia or London (etc).
I think when you see the dirtiness/chaos on the NYC streets/subway stations, the scene how NYers jaywalk all the time around each and every block, which are typically perceived as the negative traits of this city, can also become a part of the DNA that defines this city. NYC is such a city that can be artificial yet incredibly raw at the same time.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 02-15-2020 at 12:50 AM..

Old 02-15-2020, 05:38 AM

77 posts, read 38,825 times
Houston.

Do you ride horses?
Do you live on a ranch?
They immediately conjure up an image of an old western in their heads I guess.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:15 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmen View Post

Oh and for what its worth I'm from Cleveland. Go ahead, make your snarky comment.
What kind of reactions do you get when you tell people that you're from Cleveland?

Old 02-15-2020, 07:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'm always surprised when people say they think New York is dirty. I've been there several times, and I didn't really get that impression. Seemed adequately clean to me. There are some areas of Manhattan that are kind of sketchy; for being such a trendy neighborhood, Tribeca seemed pretty rough in spots.

What I find most surprising is the horrific state of some of the subway stations. There are several that look like grimy, crumbling concrete bunkers with rusting iron beams everywhere and a general look of disrepair. Pretty embarrassing for one of the most iconic cities in the world to have such a neglected subway system.
As someone who lives here and has to experience it everyday - I'll say that it utterly depends on where you are. There are some totally fine areas of Manhattan but overall, NYC is pretty dirty compared to a lot of cities and that goes out into the boroughs. The boroughs are cleaner than Manhattan on average, but they're still not super clean in most places (some are though). It's gotten better in the last few years but that's mainly because of the new buildings that have been built. Go hang out in Koreatown between 5th and 6th avenues on streets 32nd thru 35th for example or really anywhere around there that is not next to Macy's.

Manhattan keeps its more upscale things clean - like most shopping areas (although parts of SoHo are so so dirty) like 5th Avenue, Madison, etc. Also around some of the big museums like The Met and MOMA - totally fine. So many areas are not as clean as this though. If you are a typical tourist here going to a few museums, shopping on 5th avenue, and going to Times Square you aren't going to feel it as much.

Before I moved to NYC, I was in the semi unique position of flying between NYC and Chicago nearly every week for over 2 years. I got to experience both cities almost every week, literally. The contrast was obviously apparent. It's one of the only big knocks people have against here but it's the one thing people almost always bring up when here. My mother and father in law who are from Shanghai (very very clean city) couldn't stand it the first time they visited NYC. Not that Manhattan Chinatown is the best Chinatown IMO but they didn't want to visit after we took them there because of only that reason (they liked Flushing a lot more). It's like the only bad thing they ever have to say about here - everything else is pretty good.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
I get a lot of comments when I wear my Oakland Raider hat in other countries. Mostly good!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I think when you see the dirtiness/chaos on the NYC streets/subway stations, the scene how NYers jaywalk all the time around each and every block, which are typically perceived as the negative traits of this city, can also become a part of the DNA that defines this city. NYC is such a city that can be artificial yet incredibly raw at the same time.
At night the streets just get loaded with trash too since there is no alleys in Manhattan. Also the outer boroughs oof Queens and Brooklyn get grimey. Not to mention BX or SI.

Not my favorite city for sure,dont think its the best city.. but its OK

Old 02-15-2020, 01:58 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
For LA:

1. You probably wish the weather here was like it is in LA (Heard in the Midwest in Fall, Winter, and Sping, or in the South from May-Oct.)
2. I hear traffic is terrible there.
3. Do you ever see any celebrities?

Old 02-15-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
For LA:

1. You probably wish the weather here was like it is in LA (Heard in the Midwest in Fall, Winter, and Sping, or in the South from May-Oct.)
2. I hear traffic is terrible there.
3. Do you ever see any celebrities?
Yeah when I met someone from LA the three things I thought of were:
1) Wow, you must have the best weather!!!
2) How is Hollywood like?
3) Olympics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.