Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

One thing I noticed after being in Austin for a day ;

White native Southerners pronounce it like y'awl, black people in general say y'ahl.

The latter is how people outside of the South (such as Hispanics and whites) say it, which means that it is very likely a result of black influence more than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Nothing lasts forever. Rock had about 50 years of cultural dominance, rap is approaching that age itself. And as dead as it is now, it was extremely relevant for a while. Most kids don't care about rap songs that are older than a year, while rock's legacy is surviving off of 25-55 year old songs. Biggie and Pac are still well known, but kids don't seem to care about KRS One or Eric B and Rakim.
not forever of course, but i think it will last longer than rock. People in general enjoy hit rap songs for about 20 years, just not the kids. Many station survive solely off of rap "gold" ONl the largest and blackest markets even play majority modern rap.

In Boston Las Vegas MInneapolis Phoenix Albuquerque Portland Seattle Hartford Denver and nearly every small/mid size market its "rhythmic" songs that are 3-12 years old with a few throwbacks. Its because those songs are tried and true and immensely popular.

ONly in DC Baltimore Houston Chicago St Louis New ORleans Memphis etc..do you really get a ton of modern rap. Even Power in LA and Hot in NYC play mostly song older than 2 years.

Only large metros and metros that are ~12%+ ( so many smaller southern areas) black get actual Urban Contemporary stations that play contemporary rap primarily. It's not the norm throughout the country. Certain places like Boston/Las vegas/Hartford/Kansas City/New Haven flirt with urban stations every now and then but they're rarely last.

Boston has 3 hip hop stations:

(Rhythmic Top 40) JAMN 945 Boston's #1 for Hip Hop-Mostly hip hop for kids a la a Roddy Ricch, Normani, Khalid with many 3 year old + tracks and some pop-oriented acts like blackbear, Karol G, and Arizona Zervas https://jamn945.iheart.com/music/top-songs/

(Rhythmic Classic Hits-leaning Urban Adult Contemporary) The Beat- Mostly dance/new jack swing but also some Ice Cube, Snoop, Dr. Dre, Adina Howard, Mya, Color Me Badd, Kriss Kross, Kevin Lyttle, Justin TImberlake SWV and even Madonna https://977thebeat.iheart.com/music/top-songs/

(Rhythmic Adult Contemporary) Hot 969 #1 for Throwbacks and the Best New Hip Hop- Mainly Santana, Sean Paul, Ghost Town Djs, Nelly 50 Cent, Rihanna, Jay Z, TLC ,Kendrick, Eminem, Blackstreet, Bruno Mars, Post Malone https://hot969boston.com/stream/WBQTFM/

There's a fairly wide variety right there

Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
not forever of course, but i think it will last longer than rock. People in general enjoy hit rap songs for about 20 years, just not the kids. Many station survive solely off of rap "gold" ONl the largest and blackest markets even play majority modern rap.

In Boston Las Vegas MInneapolis Phoenix Albuquerque Portland Seattle Hartford Denver and nearly every small/mid size market its "rhythmic" songs that are 3-12 years old with a few throwbacks. Its because those songs are tried and true and immensely popular.

ONly in DC Baltimore Houston Chicago St Louis New ORleans Memphis etc..do you really get a ton of modern rap. Even Power in LA and Hot in NYC play mostly song older than 2 years.

Only large metros and metros that are ~12%+ ( so many smaller southern areas) black get actual Urban Contemporary stations that play contemporary rap primarily. It's not the norm throughout the country. Certain places like Boston/Las vegas/Hartford/Kansas City/New Haven flirt with urban stations every now and then but they're rarely last.

Boston has 3 hip hop stations:

(Rhythmic Top 40) JAMN 945 Boston's #1 for Hip Hop-Mostly hip hop for kids a la a Roddy Ricch, Normani, Khalid with many 3 year old + tracks and some pop-oriented acts like blackbear, Karol G, and Arizona Zervas https://jamn945.iheart.com/music/top-songs/

(Rhythmic Classic Hits-leaning Urban Adult Contemporary) The Beat- Mostly dance/new jack swing but also some Ice Cube, Snoop, Dr. Dre, Adina Howard, Mya, Color Me Badd, Kriss Kross, Kevin Lyttle, Justin TImberlake SWV and even Madonna https://977thebeat.iheart.com/music/top-songs/

(Rhythmic Adult Contemporary) Hot 969 #1 for Throwbacks and the Best New Hip Hop- Mainly Santana, Sean Paul, Ghost Town Djs, Nelly 50 Cent, Rihanna, Jay Z, TLC ,Kendrick, Eminem, Blackstreet, Bruno Mars, Post Malone https://hot969boston.com/stream/WBQTFM/

There's a fairly wide variety right there
Well I guess the true age of rap as a recorded genre is really more like 40 since it didn't reach wax until the very end of the 70s. So for the forseeable future I think it will be very big, but I don't see why it would be endless. Aside from that kids don't need to play instruments or have musical training to be rappers.

Also, the black population in this country has not increased percentage wise.

Interesting that you mention your local contemporary hip hop station plays Karol G, the rap stations in New York rarely pander to Latinos.

But I listen to both Hot 97 and Power 105 a lot. They mostly play the same kid songs, but some DJs will include some throwbacks or have 90s sets. As for places that play hip hop where young people go, I pretty much always hear recent songs. Nobody is trying to hear The Motto or Post to Be lol.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:37 AM

And wow, we were just talking about Pop Smoke and he died last night.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
And wow, we were just talking about Pop Smoke and he died last night.
*he was murdered

Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
*he was murdered
Yes. Very tragic, he was so young and his career was taking off.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Well I guess the true age of rap as a recorded genre is really more like 40 since it didn't reach wax until the very end of the 70s. So for the forseeable future I think it will be very big, but I don't see why it would be endless. Aside from that kids don't need to play instruments or have musical training to be rappers.

Also, the black population in this country has not increased percentage wise.

Interesting that you mention your local contemporary hip hop station plays Karol G, the rap stations in New York rarely pander to Latinos.

But I listen to both Hot 97 and Power 105 a lot. They mostly play the same kid songs, but some DJs will include some throwbacks or have 90s sets. As for places that play hip hop where young people go, I pretty much always hear recent songs. Nobody is trying to hear The Motto or Post to Be lol.
There is no spanish tropical FM in New England, just a small one in Hartford-Springfield. Also Blacks and Latinos are pretty much one collective group in Massachusetts. They even have a" tropical vibez" segment 1-2 times a week. JAMN 945 has more latino on air personalities than Black. It used to simulcast the BReakfast Club but made the idiotic decision to axe it after 4 years and their ratings have plummeted because that's part of the hip hop culture.

They Play both those song sin Boston all the time-and most of the country. Granted JAMN945 is a filling station for the most part and mst in the black community listen to our 2-3 large pirate stations B877, Big City 101.3 and 98.1 THe Urban Heat. Boston-a traditionally "rock" market-has just 2 "classic" rock stations, 2 pop stations, 3 hip hop stations and 3 large scale pirates/lpfm urban station that have been running for 12-15 years and have city politicians/mayors on them. If little Boston can support 6 over-the-air hip hop outlet, that pretty damn significant...

Even if the black percentage of the country isn't increasing (it actually is ever so very slowly) we still are becoming a larger share of the country in proportion to whites and a large share of hispanics listen to rap.

https://b87fm.com/
http://heat981fm.com/
https://tunein.com/radio/BigCityFm-1013-s223462/

But people absolutely want to hear those songs, just not the hip/black listeners you get in NYC. Even Portland Maine has an all hp hop station and that what they play. Hot 106 in Rhode Island and 97.7 inn New London too.

And in Omaha , Salt Lake, Reno, BOise-what do you think they are listening to? Its not NBA Youngboy. they're listening to Post to Be, Loyal, the Motto, Airplanes, Empire State of Mind, 23, ectc.

As I said it won't last forever but it will last a long time

Old 02-19-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There is no spanish tropical FM in New England, just a small one in Hartford-Springfield. Also Blacks and Latinos are pretty much one collective group in Massachusetts. They even have a" tropical vibez" segment 1-2 times a week. JAMN 945 has more latino on air personalities than Black. It used to simulcast the BReakfast Club but made the idiotic decision to axe it after 4 years and their ratings have plummeted because that's part of the hip hop culture.

They Play both those song sin Boston all the time-and most of the country. Granted JAMN945 is a filling station for the most part and mst in the black community listen to our 2-3 large pirate stations B877, Big City 101.3 and 98.1 THe Urban Heat. Boston-a traditionally "rock" market-has just 2 "classic" rock stations, 2 pop stations, 3 hip hop stations and 3 large scale pirates/lpfm urban station that have been running for 12-15 years and have city politicians/mayors on them. If little Boston can support 6 over-the-air hip hop outlet, that pretty damn significant...

Even if the black percentage of the country isn't increasing (it actually is ever so very slowly) we still are becoming a larger share of the country in proportion to whites and a large share of hispanics listen to rap.

https://b87fm.com/
Heat 981FM – Radio
https://tunein.com/radio/BigCityFm-1013-s223462/

But people absolutely want to hear those songs, just not the hip/black listeners you get in NYC. Even Portland Maine has an all hp hop station and that what they play. Hot 106 in Rhode Island and 97.7 inn New London too.

And in Omaha , Salt Lake, Reno, BOise-what do you think they are listening to? Its not NBA Youngboy. they're listening to Post to Be, Loyal, the Motto, Airplanes, Empire State of Mind, 23, ectc.

As I said it won't last forever but it will last a long time
A large chunk of NYC's Hispanic population is "black adjacent", but the hip hop stations don't play Latin American music. There are at least 2 reggaeton stations, though. And some of the radio personalities are Latino or white, but they're still playing black artists and discussing black artists. The only non-Afro Latino of any importance to them is Tekashi 69, but he's now a snitch so I don't know how accepted he will be.

We do have a station in New York that plays hip hop and R&B from various eras, but I think the target demographic is black people aged 40+.

And yes a lot of Hispanics listen to rap, but they don't drive hip hop trends in my opinion.

And I meant at clubs. People would not be happy if they played a bunch of old but not old enough to be retro songs.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
We do have a station in New York that plays hip hop and R&B from various eras, but I think the target demographic is black people aged 40+.

And I meant at clubs. People would not be happy if they played a bunch of old but not old enough to be retro songs.
True.

But still the number of old school rap and throwback rap stations grow in number every month. The genre is proving to have considerable longevity on top of its adaptability. And all the mediums in which we interact with hip hop seem to expand every day.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
True.

But still the number of old school rap and throwback rap stations grow in number every month. The genre is proving to have considerable longevity on top of its adaptability. And all the mediums in which we interact with hip hop seem to expand every day.
I think part or that is because not many rock artists have been doing anything interesting for a while. While from the early 90s to mid 00s, they coexisted because both hip hop and rock artists were making music that people wanted to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.