Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 06:53 AM

77 posts, read 38,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortheloveoftravel View Post
Me and my friends love to go to Austin to visit. Honestly I wouldn’t mind living there because it has better scenery and more of an outdoorsy feel than Houston. But it doesn’t meet the criteria and for the most part it’s very white, although there is a small bit of diversity. So yea I like it and would live there but diversity wouldn’t be the reason. The people are friendly too.
Quote:
Hello!

I'm originally from Houston but currently have been living in London for 2 years for grad school. It will be time to move back home in September and I'm pondering about where I want to live. I'm single, female, late 20's, with no children and will be working in healthcare. I love to travel and want to live in so many different places so it's hard to pinpoint. While I love Houston and will eventually settle there, I love to move around and live in new places and want to move around a lot while I'm young. I will probably end up moving around every 2 years ideally.

Anyway, I'm trying to think of a place that has the diversity of Houston but also isn't segregated. One thing that I took for granted about growing up in Houston was not only the diversity, but the fact that you can see people of all ethnic backgrounds across all socioeconomic statuses. I lived in Sugar Land right before moving to London in a nice neighborhood and there were a mixture of families from all ethnic backgrounds and I never thought anything of it. After doing some searching, it doesn't seem like there are not many places like this, or am I wrong? I hear how a lot of diverse cities are segregated (Chicago comes to mind), that there aren't very much mixing between groups, and that people of various ethnic backgrounds live in their own little area with people of certain ethnic backgrounds aren't doing as well economically. For reference, I am Black. I don't need to live in a black mecca. I have a diverse group of friends and just love seeing all types of people around me.

Which other cities have ethnic diversity, less segregated, and where you can see well off people of all ethnic backgrounds?

For reference I will be making at around $65,000, but this will be higher or lower depending on the COL in the area. I've done research about wages in my profession across various cities and for acute care this seems to be the average for a new grad. Far east and west tend to be more in the upper $70-80k.

Of course, it will depend on where I can find a job, but since I can live anywhere I would like some ideas so I can know which states I should get my license and add to my job search when the time comes.

Thanks in advance : )

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 07:06 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this comment is directed at me or not. If so, I've said many times that I love Austin and would live there. I also specifically said I do not need to live in a black mecca. I'm even okay with living somewhere that isn't very diverse if there are other great reasons for me to live there, which I also said. I was simply wondering about the options that are similar to Houston with regard to diversity, as it is something I love about Houston. However, I never said it was the only requirement for me to live somewhere.
No, it was not directed at you

Old 02-17-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No, it was not directed at you
Ah okay disregard then : )

Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 AM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I just looked up videos from 6th Street (centrally located and the best known street in Austin to outsiders) and I fail to see how it's "extremely white".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaM_D8rwrro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ThonIRQSo
Quote:
US born Hispanics mostly follow American culture (and perhaps reggaeton, by far the most Americanized genre of Latin music), which would be hip hop and to a lesser extent rock. I have to imagine that these genres are extremely popular in Austin, and Austin's big music festival caters to that.

Houston may have more recent immigrants from Latin America, but those people tend to stick to themselves unless they're highly educated.

Sure, places like Houston and NYC might have more mosques and temples, thus being more "multicultural", but that doesn't have anything to do with integration. What matters is the US born people of different backgrounds socializing. And the topic is diversity and integration, neither of which are necessarily correlated with multiculturalism.
Stop playing expert on things you know nothing of.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:59 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
US born Hispanics mostly follow American culture (and perhaps reggaeton, by far the most Americanized genre of Latin music), which would be hip hop and to a lesser extent rock. I have to imagine that these genres are extremely popular in Austin, and Austin's big music festival caters to that.

Houston may have more recent immigrants from Latin America, but those people tend to stick to themselves unless they're highly educated.

Sure, places like Houston and NYC might have more mosques and temples, thus being more "multicultural", but that doesn't have anything to do with integration. What matters is the US born people of different backgrounds socializing. And the topic is diversity and integration, neither of which are necessarily correlated with multiculturalism.
LOL. You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about - have you ever lived in either place? I've lived in both. Houston and Austin are like night and day when you talk about culture, demographics be damned.

Houston is unique primarily because of the level of integration irrespective of demographics. It always has been (at least in the last 50-60 years) because the oil and medical industries have always brought in people from all over the world, along with their respective cultures. It's created a heterogeneous culture in the city and region that's unique from Austin and in my opinion, anywhere else in the US.

And anyone that's lived in or spent a significant time in both will tell you the exact same thing. Relying on mere demographics to argue with people who actually have spent significant time in both places is a fool's errand.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:35 AM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
PROTIP: Usually when someone makes broad sweeping generalizations about people, they most likely have never actually hung out with someone from that group.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
LOL. You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about - have you ever lived in either place? I've lived in both. Houston and Austin are like night and day when you talk about culture, demographics be damned.

Houston is unique primarily because of the level of integration irrespective of demographics. It always has been (at least in the last 50-60 years) because the oil and medical industries have always brought in people from all over the world, along with their respective cultures. It's created a heterogeneous culture in the city and region that's unique from Austin and in my opinion, anywhere else in the US.

And anyone that's lived in or spent a significant time in both will tell you the exact same thing. Relying on mere demographics to argue with people who actually have spent significant time in both places is a fool's errand.
It’s just funny to me how someone who has never stepped foot in a place will argue with people who have actual experience there.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:13 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
After looking at this list: https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

Another NY city that is closely ranked with Houston that is worth a look is Yonkers and particularly the city’s northern half. It also allows for access into NYC for jobs and is the state’s 4th biggest city. For families viewing this, this information may be of interest to you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...s-schools.html

Some listings within/near your criteria, OP: https://www.realtor.com/apartments/Y...,-73.867279,14

Nearby New Rochelle is also on that list. https://www.realtor.com/apartments/N...56,13&qdm=true

Demographics for both: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...k,US/PST045219

Old 02-17-2020, 12:31 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Generally speaking, cities/metros in the Sunbelt like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston are very diverse on many levels but not segregated.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
After looking at this list: https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

Another NY city that is closely ranked with Houston that is worth a look is Yonkers and particularly the city’s northern half. It also allows for access into NYC for jobs and is the state’s 4th biggest city. For families viewing this, this information may be of interest to you: https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...s-schools.html

Some listings within/near your criteria, OP: https://www.realtor.com/apartments/Y...,-73.867279,14

Nearby New Rochelle is also on that list. https://www.realtor.com/apartments/N...56,13&qdm=true

Demographics for both: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...k,US/PST045219
Thank you!

Of the NYC surrounding areas that you’ve suggested I’m liking Yonkers and White Plains the most : ). I like how Yonkers is right by the river too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.