Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Oakland, Calif., except in the poorest parts, is ethnically diverse, and in many neighborhoods that’s so on a house to house basis. But as is well- known, Bay Area housing is high, though salaries tend to be higher as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:41 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The groups of friends I had when I lived in Chicago were very diverse. Off the top of my head one of them my friends were from India, Mexico, Thailand, Brazil, Colombia, China, South Korea, UK, Italy, Mongolia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, Russia..probably forgetting some as well as Americans who were both African American and White. I never had a problem there finding a diverse group of friends TBH. Actually it's more diverse than what I have in NYC, but a different ball game so you can't compare 100%. I just don't care much about making new friends anymore here in NYC.
Orlando qas by far my most diverse group of friends. Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Dominicans, Mexicans, Trinidadian, Brits, Brasilians, Venezuelans, Filipino, Chinese, African American, White American, Jamaican, etc.. so many Cultures

My school in Boston suburb was very diverse as well, Nigerian, Senegali, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Jamaican Cape Verdean, Puerto Rican, Salvadoran, Togoan, Portuguese, Haitian, etc. (Friends) But Orlando is extremely diverse in every neighborhood so it wins hands down

New York was the most segregated of the 3. It seems in the city, Puerto Ricans talked to Puerto Ricans, Whites to Whites, etc.

As much as I dont like Orlando... The diversity and racial tensions are great.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:49 PM

77 posts, read 38,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Oakland, Calif., except in the poorest parts, is ethnically diverse, and in many neighborhoods that’s so on a house to house basis. But as is well- known, Bay Area housing is high, though salaries tend to be higher as well.

Which are the nice areas and neighborhoods in Oakland (esp. in regard to safety)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Orlando qas by far my most diverse group of friends. Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Dominicans, Mexicans, Trinidadian, Brits, Brasilians, Venezuelans, Filipino, Chinese, African American, White American, Jamaican, etc.. so many Cultures

My school in Boston suburb was very diverse as well, Nigerian, Senegali, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Jamaican Cape Verdean, Puerto Rican, Salvadoran, Togoan, Portuguese, Haitian, etc. (Friends) But Orlando is extremely diverse in every neighborhood so it wins hands down

New York was the most segregated of the 3. It seems in the city, Puerto Ricans talked to Puerto Ricans, Whites to Whites, etc.

As much as I dont like Orlando... The diversity and racial tensions are great.

Very interesting! It seems Orlando is similar to Houston in that regard then. Orlando has never been on my radar but maybe now it is. What about Orlando don't you like? What do you like if anything? Which neighborhoods would you recommend?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Jersey City NJ is similar to Oakland in terms of demographics and is another NYC area city that you could look into.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:14 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Pretty much every major U.S. metro is diverse and fairly segregated, Houston included.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Jersey City NJ is similar to Oakland in terms of demographics and is another NYC area city that you could look into.
Okay thanks I will!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
not Boston-nice city. extremely diverse racially and ethnically in city itself and the urban area(s) but still quite segregated. White-dominated power structure, with an influential african american here or there. Drop off to 85%+ white areas is quick in the suburbs with a few high density ethnic/minority downtrodden cities spread around. Most black people there are lower middle class wleaht little to no wealth.There are some well-off Black people in the area but not a critical mass.
All true. I will point out that certain “suburbs” such as Cambridge and Medford are still somewhat diverse and are less segregated than Boston proper.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Pretty much every major U.S. metro is diverse and fairly segregated, Houston included.
Hmmm. I mean, of course there are areas that are more dominated by certain groups of people but in my opinion, based on living there my whole life aside from now, there are also plenty of areas that are very integrated. I was living in a nice area of Sugar Land before moving to London, south of 59, and there were black people like myself, white people, asian, hispanic and more. I’m not familiar with any area east of downtown or the north eastern part of Houston so can’t speak to those areas. West University, Upper Kirby and that general area gets more white but there is still some diversity.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:45 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
All true. I will point out that certain “suburbs” such as Cambridge and Medford are still somewhat diverse and are less segregated than Boston proper.
Yeah, I was surprised that in terms of the Boston area that both weren't mentioned for this thread. Same in regards to Malden or even parts of other suburban cities(Milton, Quincy, Somerville, etc.).

Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes but some (Orlando, Houston, Austin etc) are more inclusive and people mingle in diverse groups. Whereas some places (Defroit, NYC, etc) may appear diverse or not, but its very common to be frowned upon for linking interraically. Theres a huge difference between an area being diverse on paper and its population actually being in a situation to mingle and interact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.