Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 AM

86 posts, read 105,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
All of those are the West Coast. Maybe a good start would be anything west of/on the Sierra Nevada mountains? Or west of the Rockies? That’s a good question.

There’s a lot of desert/southwest cities I’d like to count as west coast, but that’s not really fair. I like the west in general.
Yeah, west of the Cascades and Sierra Nevadas would be a good strict definition. Really though, I just consider the entirety of California, Oregon and Washington West Coast. Nevada and Arizona are surely well tied to and influenced by California, but to me, they are still Mountain West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'd say pretty much anything in the Pacific time zone qualifies.
I'm ok with this to get more granular, I'd say the western halves of California, Washington and Oregon, though if you said the entirety of all 3 states I'm cool too. I honestly think Vegas and maybe PHoenix is as well.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:02 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
I think there never really will be an agreed LITERAL definition. There are plenty of agreed loose and/or figurative, symbolic definitions......and reasonable ones....

It really is a matter of perspective and your point of view in terms of where you actually live. When I was living in LA, those that actually lived within a few miles of the coast tended to have a more narrow view of what a West Coaster was. When I lived within 5 minute walking distance of the beach, we thought of ourselves as being more "West Coast" than someone living in Glendale. This narrow point of view seemed to only be applied to others in LA, but if talking in a broader sense to someone living in Phoenix, my (our) point of view would shift to include someone in Glendale, "they were more "West Coast' than someone in Riverside, or Phoenix".

There was time time when you never really thought of Vegas as being "West Coast", now I definitely think it is "West Coast", but it sort of bothers me, how can a place in the desert, 300 miles from the coast be the "West Coast".

Phoenix was definitely NOT WEST COAST, but over time it seems it is now, andi its not even in the PST zone.

As don'tbeliveit suggested, WHO CARES .......it's weird how it had a much more defined meaning, now its a lose "label" and people don't like to be "labeled" especially if the label is considered "bad", but if the "label" is considered "good", people get upset if they are not included in that "label".

Now that Vegas is the West Coast, does that mean LA is now the Desert Mountain West. :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-17-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
If it makes people in Vegas or Phoenix feel good to claim they live on the "West Coast," fine, but really, who are they fooling?

Old 02-17-2020, 11:29 AM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggap View Post
Yeah, west of the Cascades and Sierra Nevadas would be a good strict definition. .
Yes this is my definition. I have the old fashion definition that you are a West Coaster if actually do things on the Coast on a regular basis, daily, weekly, or monthly.

Folks in Tahoe rarely go to the coast, and folks in Reno even less so. They are not West Coasters, and don't care to be. In my book, Vegas and Phoenix are definitely not the West Coast, although I get how Vegas is, but really not...... Phoenix never will be. :-)

My Family members/relatives leaned to surf the beaches of NorCal while growing-up in Sacramento, even though its 90 miles away, while our cousins in the Bay Area, rarely even went to the beach nor did anything involving the coast, the water, or its mountains. I actually learned in Hawaii and San Diego and continued the tradition while living in Sacramento.

In Sacramento, we actually make public policy that directly affects people who actually live on the coast and the beach, all 1,000 plus miles of it. It's our beach(es), we care about it, as if it were our River(s).

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-17-2020 at 11:50 AM..

Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If it makes people in Vegas or Phoenix feel good to claim they live on the "West Coast," fine, but really, who are they fooling?
It seems like you really need a "coast" to claim that you are a part of the "coast".

Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I say WA, OR, CA.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:36 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It seems like you really need a "coast" to claim that you are a part of the "coast".
I agree completely, but if someone from Phoenix starts raving about how they love living on the West Coast, I'm not going to correct them.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I think there never really will be an agreed LITERAL definition. There are plenty of agreed loose and/or figurative, symbolic definitions......and reasonable ones....

It really is a matter of perspective and your point of view in terms of where you actually live. When I was living in LA, those that actually lived within a few miles of the coast tended to have a more narrow view of what a West Coaster was. When I lived within 5 minute walking distance of the beach, we thought of ourselves as being more "West Coast" than someone living in Glendale. This narrow point of view seemed to only be applied to others in LA, but if talking in a broader sense to someone living in Phoenix, my (our) point of view would shift to include someone in Glendale, "they were more "West Coast' than someone in Riverside, or Phoenix".

There was time time when you never really thought of Vegas as being "West Coast", now I definitely think it is "West Coast", but it sort of bothers me, how can a place in the desert, 300 miles from the coast be the "West Coast".

Phoenix was definitely NOT WEST COAST, but over time it seems it is now, andi its not even in the PST zone.

As don'tbeliveit suggested, WHO CARES .......it's weird how it had a much more defined meaning, now its a lose "label" and people don't like to be "labeled" especially if the label is considered "bad", but if the "label" is considered "good", people get upset if they are not included in that "label".

Now that Vegas is the West Coast, does that mean LA is now the Desert Mountain West. :-)
Let me correct you. Phoenix is in fact part of the PST for half of the year.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:10 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I agree. I think that strictly speaking, "west coast" refers to the states that border the pacific ocean - Cali, Oregon, Wash.

"Western" is a broader geographic & cultural region and in my opinion includes - Cali, Oregon, Wash, Ariz, Nev, NM and Colo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.