Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times

Advertisements

All regions have differences. The Midwest includes SD and ND...whether they seem more western, or not. Kansas and eastern Colorado are pretty much the same, but that doesn't make Colorado Midwestern, or Kansas a part of the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 AM

1,351 posts, read 869,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I'll just add, that western Iowa, is not flat.
Far northwestern (north of the Loess Hills) is very flat, but you're generally spot on.

Large chunks of Nebraska aren't flat either. But everyone sees Nebraska from I-80, which follows the Platte Valley through that part of the state.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Far northwestern (north of the Loess Hills) is very flat, but you're generally spot on.

Large chunks of Nebraska aren't flat either. But everyone sees Nebraska from I-80, which follows the Platte Valley through that part of the state.
Yes, Omaha is extremely hilly.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, Omaha is extremely hilly.
I was referring more to the Sandhills and NW part of the state, but yes, Omaha is very hilly.

Des Moines is actually hilly too. Both cities are built along rivers, and anywhere there's a significant river in the Midwest, you tend to see it sit much lower than the surrounding country side, and there are a network of hills and valleys that feed into that larger river.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:12 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,486,139 times
Quote:
I think when people debate "true" Midwestern, it's based on what part of the Midwest they are from.

I'm from northern Iowa, west of the Driftless Area. It is quite literally the eastern edge of the Great Plains (according to the EPA). It is flat, mostly treeless, windy as hell, and covered in corn and soybean fields with very low population. Windmills and grain elevators are your sky line. The Frontier Strip resembles my home much more than the Great Lakes do, and so to me those places are more in line with what I think of "true" Midwest.

Someone from Ohio or Michigan is going to see it completely different. Because the census Midwest is a massive area that has a lot of difference and diversity from one end to the other, and longitude is every bit as important as latitude in the final equation.
Pretty much every region is like that, sadly. Even in the relatively tiny Northeast, people have their (often terrible) opinions about what states are the "true northeast".

Some say Pennsylvania is southern, even. Which is the most egregiously incorrect BS I have ever heard in the context of regionalism. haha

Once, a fellow from Massachusetts on this very site posted that everything west of the Hudson river was actually the Midwest, in his eyes.

The south, of course, is no different. Though, in an act of unusual circumstance, the on-going debate about the identity of Maryland and Delaware has legitimate merit.

But you hear people from Louisiana call Arkansas "Yankee" all the time.

People in California sometimes consider Colorado Midwestern.

It's all rampant stupidity, really.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:17 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Lol ok if we are considering the western reaches of NE and SD to be "midwestern" then Southern Missouri might as well be Ohio
South Dakota is a midwestern state.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:36 PM

1,260 posts, read 931,167 times
I think it gets more hate than warranted. Nationally I don't think people know how great of cities Milwaukee and Madison are for example. Or do people realize how much natural beauty there is here.

However, I will say I find Midwest culture bland which is what contributes to it. I think the Midwest has the mots balanced people in regards to temperament, politics, openness, etc. I also think it has what I consider a "nice" culture, nothing to in your face. I am not saying that it's a boring place, it's just not as interesting compared to other regions of the US. It just feels like there isn't as much going on in the Midwest. Chicago is the only stand out here. But Midwest has nothing that quite compares to places like New Orleans, Miami, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, etc. Outside of Chicago, the midwest cities like Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc. are nice cities in their own right, but just not as interesting or dynamic as other cities in other regions when grouped together.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:40 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,799,437 times
I've lived in NYC for almost 8 years now and the attitude I've found that most native NYers have towards the midwest is ignorance and indifference. For example, many do not know that the eastern edge of Ohio is only a 7 hour drive from the city (nearly the same distance as Buffalo); many have some weird idea that Ohio is where Iowa is on the map. New Yorkers also think that the entire state of Ohio has the same climate as Cleveland.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I've lived in NYC for almost 8 years now and the attitude I've found that most native NYers have towards the midwest is ignorance and indifference. For example, many do not know that the eastern edge of Ohio is only a 7 hour drive from the city (nearly the same distance as Buffalo); many have some weird idea that Ohio is where Iowa is on the map. New Yorkers also think that the entire state of Ohio has the same climate as Cleveland.
I think that much of Ohio is closer to NYC than it is to Iowa, ironically.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:15 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,090,687 times
Quote:
I think when people debate "true" Midwestern, it's based on what part of the Midwest they are from.

Fair enough.
Having spent over two decades in MSP, I would never consider Western SD to be part of the Midwest.
Perhaps culturally, but from a topographical standpoint it’s not even close.

I doubt most residents of Rapid City would consider their town to be “Midwestern”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.