Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 AM

119 posts, read 117,113 times

Advertisements

Working remote is on the rise, and many Americans seem to be jumping ship from big cities and heading to smaller ones. Any predictions on which small (50-100k pop) are gonna boom this decade?

My predictions:

Twin Falls, ID
St George, UT
Prescott, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 11:13 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
I'd disagree with Flagstaff. Real estate can be expensive, there's a lot of snow in the winter, and not sure they have enough job growth.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'd disagree with Flagstaff. Real estate can be expensive, there's a lot of snow in the winter, and not sure they have enough job growth.
What u think about idaho

Old 02-03-2020, 01:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Of the ones on your list, Twin Falls and St. George.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:59 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
Working remote is on the rise, and many Americans seem to be jumping ship from big cities and heading to smaller ones. Any predictions on which small (50-100k pop) are gonna boom this decade?

My predictions:

Twin Falls, ID
St George, UT
Prescott, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Are they?

Also, being able to work remotely, like 100% of the time, is not as common as people like to make it out to be on this site. Those I know in fields like IT and sales where working remotely is 100% possible the boss still wants people in the office regularly. I’ve found those given carte blanche are those well established within their companies so that means there’s also spouses (and their careers) and kids to consider before packing up and moving to the boonies.

I’d look to small towns within 1-2 hours of major cities that have a high cost of living as places that’ll boom. People will always get priced out and will be forced to make those commutes, or those that only have to go into the office a few times a month will put up with that drive on occasion for a lower cost of living and a more peaceful way of life. Not only that, most people still want amenities, not to mention good health care, within a reasonable distance.

I’d also look to small towns that are in/near state capitals and/or near major universities.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
What u think about idaho
I've never been there, so I can't say.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:37 PM

142 posts, read 93,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Are they?

Also, being able to work remotely, like 100% of the time, is not as common as people like to make it out to be on this site. Those I know in fields like IT and sales where working remotely is 100% possible the boss still wants people in the office regularly. I’ve found those given carte blanche are those well established within their companies so that means there’s also spouses (and their careers) and kids to consider before packing up and moving to the boonies.

I’d look to small towns within 1-2 hours of major cities that have a high cost of living as places that’ll boom. People will always get priced out and will be forced to make those commutes, or those that only have to go into the office a few times a month will put up with that drive on occasion for a lower cost of living and a more peaceful way of life. Not only that, most people still want amenities, not to mention good health care, within a reasonable distance.

I’d also look to small towns that are in/near state capitals and/or near major universities.
Yes, I work remotely, but that just means I have to go to our various office locations fairly frequently to actually meet with people or accomplish things (attend annual meetings, conferences, ad hoc meetings that come up 24 hours before). I think this setup is fairly common these days, but it still doesn't mean I could live just anywhere, I need to be convenient to a fairly major airport to have any sanity. Plus, time zone is a consideration, most of my coworkers are east coast.

I agree with you that it's pretty rare that people work truly remote corporate jobs where you could just hide out in the woods year-round. So, to answer the question, I'd look at small-mid size towns in interesting places with VERY GOOD access to get to major centers with corporate offices.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Working remotely 100% of the time has got to be the most romanticized and overrated concept in the world today.

I did it for 3 years. About 2 years in I was going crazy.

But that's just me.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Working remotely 100% of the time has got to be the most romanticized and overrated concept in the world today.

I did it for 3 years. About 2 years in I was going crazy.

But that's just me.

I’m not saying it’s great just saying it’s becoming more popular and feasible

Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
In Washington State, the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco) in the southeastern part of the State is growing like gangbusters. The economy is based on several strong indicators. First, the Department of Energy Hanford cleanup is a great job producer and will be for atleast the next 30 years. Second, the retail sector is extremely strong as being the main center in the Southeastern WA and Northeast OR area. Third, the wine/tourism industry is huge and growing. Add in the relatively affordable real estate prices compared to Seattle and Portland. There is no slowdown occuring here, and this place continues to boom. Add in the 300 days of sunshine. Now at 300K metro, probably will be 400K by 2030 with many more westsiders moving to the desert, and a good migration from all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.