Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 05:09 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Keep in mind that this is about MSA, not just the city of these. Detroit for example in the city has something like 77% Black percentage, but the MSA level it's more like 22%.
Looking at MSA-level data doesn't make the disparity any less striking for Los Angeles. It's about 40% Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 05:16 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Hmmm,a collage degree in business and finance or concentrate on sports ??

Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Looking at MSA-level data doesn't make the disparity any less striking for Los Angeles. It's about 40% Hispanic.
Agree about LA, but for many other metro areas people need to realize what the MSA percentages are instead of the city percentages. Detroit is a major example of that where the MSA percentage for Black is wayyy less than the city percentage. Both Chicago and Philadelphia's MSA Black percentage is half of what the percentages in the city proper is.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Black and Hispanic as % of Attorneys (MSA)

Miami - 24.7%
Atlanta - 18.9%
Houston - 17.1%
Washington - 14.1%
Los Angeles - 12.5%
New York - 9.3%
Dallas - 9.2%
San Francisco - 9.0%
Chicago - 8.9%
Philadelphia - 8.4%
Seattle - 4.7%
Boston - 3.3%
Seattle does fairly well here tbh

Old 02-19-2020, 05:53 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Keep in mind that this is about MSA, not just the city of these. Detroit for example in the city has something like 77% Black percentage, but the MSA level it's more like 22%.

Yeah, doctors, finance execs and lawyers mostly don't live in the city pretty much anywhere, even in NYC a ton of them live on the island, in CT and NJ. City percentage means jack in this regard. People who make money are more likely to live in the suburbs, so the majority of the professional class of a city isn't going to be reflected in city population figures.

On the issue itself, some groups are more likely to get into certain professions, and it's not like there's no big gaps here even within the white population. If you're not from wealth, and don't have the background where you know which boxes you need to tick career-wise to get into these types of positions you're gonna have a harder time. That applies to your Mexican kid from East L.A. every bit as much as it does to the kid of the Polish-American factory worker in some Rust Belt city.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yes, the degree type matters. But there's still a strong correlation between having any type of Bachelor's degree or higher.

And I think Latinos have a very long way to go still.

Note: I am not black. However I do pay attention to diversity when I go out, and even in the gentrified parts of NYC, I tend to go to places that are. There are two rock oriented dive bars I go to a lot, and the clientele is at least 30-40% non white (and not just Asians).

There are some lounges in centrally located areas that are black culture oriented, but have a diverse crowd overall. This one place I went to was a mix of hypebeasts of all races (mostly black and Afro-Latino, though) and these dudes were walking around with 800 dollar outfits, I felt so out of place for that sole reason.

Thankfully NYC's nightlife areas don't seem to have those issues (intense segregation or violence), at least not at the places I pay attention to.

I'm not crazy about the idea of New England nightlife in general due to early last call and bad weather, though. But I can have fun pretty much anywhere.

Yikes.

In fact I’d don’t know if you remember the Jassy Corriea story from a few months ago but a woman was abducted from the theater district celebrating her birthday-23 year old Cape Verdean lady. An African American man from Providence (because people move back and forth between the two) kidnapped her rape murder and wasn’t caught with her in the trunk until he got to Delaware -it was all over the news.

Well since then there have been another 4/5 kidnappings of women including a woman who was kidnapped by a city councilor’a brother. There have been police and community summits, extensive coverage but basically inaction because honestly the city would face a serious political backlash if they were to stamp out the only section of central Boston that caters to blacks and Hispanics. It can be a very siloed existence from whatever is going on for nightlife in the rest of the city But generally it’s a large enough population with enough economic diversity (the re certainly is a black middle class in the Boston area, just not very cohesive), and recereation that it feels a full existence and . I went to private school, college educated and I still couldn’t really tell you-let alone the general black populous of the city. I know Seaport District and Coogans.

I think in part is because the type of person who moves to New York moves there for diversity-that’s one of the premier reasons people move to NYC and see it as the truest urban experience. People move to -or stay in-Boston for work or to feel at home. None of that screams diversity, attitude and social groups reflect those to realities... It’s not a city where people come to immerse themselves in a diverse urban environment. The fact that the environment is diverse is the result of redlining reinvestment, strict zoning in suburbs, poor schools, and issues with crime in too many pockets of a few neighborhoods.

You have to sort of pick a side in Boston maybe? I can’t say I’ve never had to love there.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:06 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Black and Hispanic as % of Attorneys (MSA)

Miami - 24.7%
Atlanta - 18.9%
Houston - 17.1%
Washington - 14.1%
Los Angeles - 12.5%
New York - 9.3%
Dallas - 9.2%
San Francisco - 9.0%
Chicago - 8.9%
Philadelphia - 8.4%
Seattle - 4.7%
Boston - 3.3%
Atlanta so good...

Old 02-20-2020, 12:07 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Black and Hispanic as % of Physicians (MSA)

Miami - 41.8%
Atlanta - 23.1%
Washington - 19.3%
Houston - 18.2%
New York - 12.5%
Chicago - 12.4%
Dallas - 12.3%
Los Angeles - 11.6%
Philadelphia - 10.0%
San Francisco - 8.2%
Boston - 6.8%
Seattle - 4.1%
Atlanta so good...

Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM

240 posts, read 129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Detroit MSA is larger than Seattle’s. An 80% balck city with 80% white managerial class that’s the elephant in the room.
Detroit MSA is not 80% black though it's only about 20% black as most Detroit outer suburbs are primarily white.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:34 AM

240 posts, read 129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta so good...
Actually Atlanta is faring below what it should in a lot of categories considering it's sizeable black population.. If you consider Atlanta MSA is probably 32-35% black 22% is rather a low representation for that. The Dallas/Fort Worth MSA for example is probably 15-18% black and they're representation is 12% so their closer to their actual percentage of the popualtion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.