Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 03:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,688 times

Advertisements

Wow interesting stuff. Didn't think my thread would receive so much engagement. Very eye opening stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 04:01 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't know if such a city really exists.

You'll find more African Americans and Latinos involved in nonprofits,city government (civil and non-civil service), entertainment, media, small business owners, real estate agents, and other entrepreneurial pursuits (due to workplace discrimination).
It isn't always workplace discrimination.

What seems to get many people all riled up is that the majority of us (at least many of black folks) are not genuinely interested in IT, accounting, physics, marine biology, etc. We are driven by our interests and what we can do best. The "human worth based solely on highly intellectual fields" crowd dislikes this.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,415 times
DC comes to mind here

Old 02-18-2020, 04:16 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I noticed that as well when living in Chicago. The financial district outside of government offices are overwhelmingly White.
Correct. I have worked at about 5 different companies here in Chicago, large ones, and it's so overwhelmingly white. But then you go to a Subway or Starbucks, and those are the only places where you see the inverse. 80% of the office where I work is white, yet, the Starbucks, 7-11, and Cafe we have in our building, all the workers there are overwhelmingly minorities.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:25 PM

21,623 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Can we get Detroit numbers? Curious there

Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,453 times
Sacramento is the closest I can think of

Old 02-18-2020, 06:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Correct. I have worked at about 5 different companies here in Chicago, large ones, and it's so overwhelmingly white. But then you go to a Subway or Starbucks, and those are the only places where you see the inverse. 80% of the office where I work is white, yet, the Starbucks, 7-11, and Cafe we have in our building, all the workers there are overwhelmingly minorities.
I worked for a very large tech company in The Loop when I lived in Chicago and my office was extremely diverse. Maybe it's not the norm for certain businesses but it's more than possible. Ultimately maybe it depends on the company. My company was a large multi national corporation who had no issues hiring people from wherever. Just off the top of my head, I had coworkers at my office in Chicago from South Korea, China, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Poland, Italy, Ghana, Jamaica, Malaysia, Lebanon, Australia, England, Pakistan, India, Philippines, etc. It is actually from a country representation just as diverse as my current company in NYC, but the only difference is that in NYC the foreign born percentage in the office is higher. However, a good 75% of those people are from India. From a racial perspective we were fairly split evenly although swaying more to the Asian side of things.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 AM

197 posts, read 204,106 times
This disparity is pretty much a vicious cycle given the legacy of segregation in this country because parents who can afford housing in a school district that effectively prepares their kids to earn the test scores needed to get into a good 4 year college and earn professional middle class jobs are largely already in that socioeconomic class in the first place.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/05...divide/481749/

Old 02-19-2020, 08:29 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I worked for a very large tech company in The Loop when I lived in Chicago and my office was extremely diverse. Maybe it's not the norm for certain businesses but it's more than possible. Ultimately maybe it depends on the company. My company was a large multi national corporation who had no issues hiring people from wherever. Just off the top of my head, I had coworkers at my office in Chicago from South Korea, China, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Poland, Italy, Ghana, Jamaica, Malaysia, Lebanon, Australia, England, Pakistan, India, Philippines, etc. It is actually from a country representation just as diverse as my current company in NYC, but the only difference is that in NYC the foreign born percentage in the office is higher. However, a good 75% of those people are from India. From a racial perspective we were fairly split evenly although swaying more to the Asian side of things.
A lot of tech companies sponsor workers from other countries on H-1B visas so the degree of diversity within their ranks isn't that surprising. This is also true to a large extent in the medical industry.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Management analysts (Non-Hispanic White)

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and...t-analysts.htm

Miami - 57.3%
Los Angeles - 65.1%
San Francisco - 68.3%
Atlanta - 68.6%
New York - 69.8%
Houston - 71.1%
Washington - 71.4%
Dallas - 74.1%
Chicago - 75.1%
Seattle - 79.8%
Philadelphia - 81.5%
Boston - 84.0%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.