U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is more connected to it's shores.
Dallas-Fort Worth is more "Gulf Coast" than MSP is "Great Lakes." 5 15.15%
Minneapolis-Saint Paul is more "Great Lakes" than DFW is "Gulf Coast." 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 08:07 PM

6,436 posts, read 3,813,087 times

Advertisements

Both these metro areas are interesting in how different yet similar they are, but one thing I noticed is that while DFW is in a Gulf Coast state, it's far from the Gulf and naturally doesn't identify or feel like it, same with MSP. It's in a Great Lake's state, but at least a 2 hour drive from the closest shoreline on Lake Superior. Nontheless, I will say the Twin Cities are still sorrounded by lakes, so it does have a lake culture where as DFW lacks a coastal culture at all, and I have seen the Twin Cities linked in with the Great Lakes cities at least in terms of vegetation, climate, culture, demographics etc. whereas Dallas seems much more Plains and linked towards Oklahoma City, Wichita and Kansas City, but at the same time Dallas still has strong ties to Houston and New Orleans, and Minneapolis has strong ties to Des Moines, Omaha and Kansas City, which are prairie cities (which the Twin Cities are as well). DFW residents do head down to the Gulf to the beaches of South Padre and Corpus Christi, and Twin City residents do love going to the North Shore, up to Duluth, Two Harbors, Grand Marais. Basically, I'm asking which of these inland metro areas has a stronger connection to their respective state's distant shores. I was just up in the North Shore for the first time, which is what inspired this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 08:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,309,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Minneapolis has strong ties to Des Moines, Omaha and Kansas City, which are prairie cities (which the Twin Cities are as well).
Minneapolis is absolutely not on the prairie. It's in the Big Woods biome.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 PM

2,784 posts, read 1,374,619 times
Minneapolis isn't a Great Lakes City, nor is Dallas a Gulf Coast city.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Minneapolis is absolutely not on the prairie. It's in the Big Woods biome.

It's still prairie, in the same vein as Madison or Chicago. "Prairie woodland/wetland" would be one way to describe it.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minneapolis isn't a Great Lakes City, nor is Dallas a Gulf Coast city.

I know that. The point is that they aren't, but being in states that have shoreline on each of those areas, there's bound to be some influences.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM

2,784 posts, read 1,374,619 times
Quote:
It's still prairie, in the same vein as Madison or Chicago. "Prairie woodland/wetland" would be one way to describe it.
Hmmmm...Chicago is ON Lake Michigan. I think that qualifies as a Great Lakes city.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,309,406 times
Quote:
A prairie is a treeless grassland. None of these cities inhabit this type of ecosystem.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
A prairie is a treeless grassland. None of these cities inhabit this type of ecosystem.

Not necessarily "treeless" but fewer trees than a full on forest. I see it more about the type of grass than amount of trees. Though for what it's worth, while the Twin Cities does have a lot of trees, it's not full on wooded either. The general environment is much more grassy and open. Northern Minnesota is a different story.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tates_2011.jpg

Personally, I see "plains" different from "prairie." Prairie to me would be the general grassy landscape of much of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, southern Michigan and western Ohio. Not thick as forests like New England or the Southeast, but not the vast open plains of Nebraska or Kansas either.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Hmmmm...Chicago is ON Lake Michigan. I think that qualifies as a Great Lakes city.
Again, didn't say that... however the inland landscape would be what I'd call "wooded prairie". If you got a better name for that, let me know.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:01 PM

4,838 posts, read 2,900,647 times
Badger, you're making up your own definitions for actual terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or