Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:36 AM

119 posts, read 117,074 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City, UT

I guess the secret got out a few years ago what an awesome little city Salt lake is/was.

The population is booming out of control here. Every Day I see hundreds of out of state license plates.

Pollution, traffic, noise, and crime are all massive compared to what they were when I was in high school, about a decade ago. The National forests bordering the city are being overrun by out of staters with no respect for the natural environment.

I guess I’m xenophobic or something. I miss the city I grew up in.

Anyways,

Where else is this happening in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 08:45 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Everywhere.

Even small towns. I've watched my home area go from a quiet collection of rural communities to a lakefront resort for rich people.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:46 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
reminds me of this article I read recently: Utah Wanted All the Tourists. Then It Got Them.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:13 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
My area has been ruined as well, what was once a nice rural area has become McMansionland and the people who are taking up residence in our cornfields are turds in a punch bowl. Sometime about 25-30 years ago a large group of people went to a county commissioner meeting and spoke out against the relentless residential growth that no one but the campaign contributors wanted and our concerns were ignored. We now have all the noise, traffic, crime, overcrowded schools and roadside litter that these people were moving away from.

Even worse is the new people complaining on the nextdoor app, like they did not expect to move out in the country and not see coyotes and skunks, and no, we don’t have any “upscale” anything. I have seen people asking for someone who is insured and licensed to clean roof gutters, I did not realize there was a licensing process for that because I had been doing it myself for decades.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
It's a free country, people can move where they want

Old 02-21-2020, 10:58 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Boston's definitely in a similar boat. I guess the difference is that I think it's a better city for it, even if it is imperfect (i.e. increased cost of living, added traffic, etc.).

Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
This literally describes every major and semi major economic area of the US. There's ALWAYS people moving in from other places. Maybe it's a newer thing in SLC but this is commonplace pretty much everywhere.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Every major city and area will have new people, a place that doesn't attract new people is probably not doing so well.

That being said, I get sad when I see previously fun, artsy neighborhoods turned into CVS, Starbucks paradises, which is the case for much of America.

I think the premise of this thread comes from a fear of change... People naturally do not like change and for whatever reason always think the past was better.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Every major city and area will have new people, a place that doesn't attract new people is probably not doing so well.
Pretty much every major metro area has tons of new people coming in regardless of the overall net growth. Places like Chicago that aren't growing fast had top 5 inbound movement into its metro area but the difference is the outbound versus other places.

There is ALWAYS many people moving in, and moving out in all of these areas regardless of the net change.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:55 AM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papad622 View Post
Salt Lake City, UT

I guess the secret got out a few years ago what an awesome little city Salt lake is/was.

The population is booming out of control here. Every Day I see hundreds of out of state license plates.

Pollution, traffic, noise, and crime are all massive compared to what they were when I was in high school, about a decade ago. The National forests bordering the city are being overrun by out of staters with no respect for the natural environment.

I guess I’m xenophobic or something. I miss the city I grew up in.

Anyways,

Where else is this happening in the USA?
It has been happening in Utah every year since 1847.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.