Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 5,138 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I've been researching and reading the forum to gain more insight into different states and towns/cities on the west coast to move.

A little about me... I currently work in the digital marketing/tech field. I’m 28 years old and have grown up in South Florida all my life and lived in Vermont for 5 years, so I’m familiar with the seasons and winter/cloudy days. I'd be looking to rent only (dog friendly) as well.

The only west coast trips I’ve taken were to Los Angeles twice, since I have a few friends there. I really enjoyed it overall and access to the mountains, beach and sunny days were nice but it felt much like South FL. I’m open to other states besides CA such as Colorado, Utah, Nevada, ect. Having access to nature, hiking, or snowboarding, ect. would be nice.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 03:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,704,439 times
Sacramento and vicinity. Half hour east to the foothills, another hour or so to Truckee and Lake Tahoe.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:17 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,787,009 times
What kind of rental budget do you have?

Old 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Sacramento and vicinity. Half hour east to the foothills, another hour or so to Truckee and Lake Tahoe.
Thank you Vic!

Old 02-27-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
What kind of rental budget do you have?
Thanks for your reply! Ideally, under $1800.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:21 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,403,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acg24 View Post
For a 1br? That’s a good budget for anywhere except sf and maybe la. Good luck. If it were me I’d live anywhere in california

Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg24 View Post
That is doable in Denver. You'd be giving up the beach for the mountains. Fantastic outdoor recreation, though, and better big city amenities than any other city in the Intermountain West.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 02-27-2020 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,702,363 times
If it matters, California and Utah are less transient than the “fly-by” states of Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, which may be a welcome change of pace for you, given that you have spent most of your life in Florida and Vermont. Newcomers pass through Arizona and Nevada in particular like tumbleweeds on a windy day, which fosters an environment that is not suitable for building meaningful, long-lasting, mutually dependable friendships and is critical when you are living across the country from your family and close friends (i.e., your primary support system). And outside of California, Idaho, New Mexico and Utah, people in the West are not particularly religious or inclined towards relationship-building and community-building through religious organizations (i.e., church). The megachurches in Denver and Phoenix are so businesslike and inanimate in their worship, outreach and organization styles, with no well-organized support infrastructure for those who new in town or have minimal support in the community, and people in those churches often exhibit terribly antisocial behavior.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 02-27-2020 at 10:58 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If it matters, California and Utah are less transient than the “fly-by” states of Arizona, Colorado and Nevada, which may be a welcome change of pace for you, given that you have spent most of your life in Florida and Vermont. Newcomers pass through Arizona and Nevada in particular like tumbleweeds on a windy day, which fosters an environment that is not suitable for building meaningful, long-lasting, mutually dependable friendships and is critical when you are living across the country from your family and close friends (i.e., your primary support system). And outside of California, Idaho, New Mexico and Utah, people in the West are not particularly religious or inclined towards relationship-building and community-building through religious organizations (i.e., church). The megachurches in Denver and Phoenix are so businesslike and inanimate in their worship, outreach and organization styles, with no well-organized support infrastructure for those who new in town or have minimal support in the community, and people in those churches often exhibit terribly antisocial behavior.
OP didn't mention religion at all. Not sure why you felt the need to post a treatise on it.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 02-27-2020 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 11:45 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,702,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
OP didn't mention religion at all. Not sure why you felt the need to post a treatise on it.
I’m talking about the social fabric because that’s highly relevant to your daily life, and social fabric varies widely among the Southwestern states, despite what people would lead you to believe otherwise. You go hiking once per month, if you have time. You deal with people 24/7 at home, at work, in the community, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.