Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ironically, I was thinking about maybe considering Plattsburgh NY across Lake Champlain from VT. You could have money left over from your home purchase and it puts you near the Adirondack Mountains and there are lakeside beaches nearby. https://www.goadirondack.com/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-...beach-town-ny/
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...secret-ny.html
Adirondacks in the background: Community Development | Plattsburgh, NY
Just to add, it is only about an hour from Montreal. So, you can get to a major city quickly, if you so desire that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 06:55 PM

134 posts, read 146,674 times
Quote:
Just to add, it is only about an hour from Montreal. So, you can get to a major city quickly, if you so desire that.

Some nice looking places there for $250-300k but seems a bit windy and property taxes are like $5k a year. The more I look the more I think either northwestern remote montana or Couer d'lane. People tell me the humidty back east will kill me since I am from the west.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Some nice looking places there for $250-300k but seems a bit windy and property taxes are like $5k a year. The more I look the more I think either northwestern remote montana or Couer d'lane. People tell me the humidty back east will kill me since I am from the west.
Given that the median home price is more like $150,000, you might not have to look for homes at that high price point and those would be the property taxes at that price point. So, it may be a matter of looking at homes at the median and going from there(Clinton County). With that said, it looks like other factors may be more of an issue.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Given that the median home price is more like $150,000, you might not have to look for homes at that high price point and those would be the property taxes at that price point. So, it may be a matter of looking at homes at the median and going from there(Clinton County). With that said, it looks like other factors may be more of an issue.
I am not a fan of median prices. My city says median is about $190k+/- and it takes way north of $250k to get a 2 car garage and a house that doesn't need an extra $50k to make it decent. We have so many dated homes with old windows, bad flooring, no garage, etc. Those properties keep the "median" price down but anything decent is almost double.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I am not a fan of median prices. My city says median is about $190k+/- and it takes way north of $250k to get a 2 car garage and a house that doesn't need an extra $50k to make it decent. We have so many dated homes with old windows, bad flooring, no garage, etc. Those properties keep the "median" price down but anything decent is almost double.
This may vary by area, where you look in an area and taste. High end homes can also skew an area as well. So, there are multiple factors to consider in terms of home prices and a home search.

Homes in the Plattsburgh area in terms median home build year are a little bit newer than the Great Falls area, according to a “competitor” site(1970 vs. 1967, it is 1976 for the US according to this site(needs updating though). So, that may give some idea of differences between areas.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:35 AM

149 posts, read 173,791 times
Boise area, may be ? boise itself got expensive, but areas around it may be worth looking at! Mountains everywhere! McCal one our away from Boise... good place for camping... We do have wind sometimes but not very often

Old 03-08-2020, 02:59 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Greenville/Spartanburg SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Fayetteville/Springdale AR, Harrisburg/Lancaster PA, Pittsburgh PA
Yup.....”go East young man”. Green mountains, much less wind. All of those places except Pennsylvania are warm southern locations as well. Trade wind for humidity. One town not listed that should be is Asheville NC. No southern town is so much in the mountains as Asheville is.

Not sure you could find anywhere out west without wind. It never stops out there.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,673,429 times
Quote:
Neither are ideal, but the humidity really isn't worth the trouble (I grew up in the southeast and it's still hard to adjust to). I'd almost take constant wind over it, especially for physically active outdoor recreation.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 AM

26,836 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Neither are ideal, but the humidity really isn't worth the trouble (I grew up in the southeast and it's still hard to adjust to). I'd almost take constant wind over it, especially for physically active outdoor recreation.
Asheville isn't humid unless one has some kind of odd inability to tolerate a humidity level just above 50%.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:55 PM

So why are jobs so low pay in the south? I notice minimum wage is same as it was in Montana 25 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.