Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 11:56 AM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times

Advertisements

When we use the term Latin-Americans or Latinos we often exclude Italian- Americans but no term is more synonymous with the Italian Peninsula and its culture than "Latin".

The Latin people, language, and culture ALL originated IN and outwards FROM the Italian peninsula.

If fact the region Rome/Roma sits in, Lazio, once was called Latium which literally means "Land of the Latins" .

In fact, I'm sure the word Italia is a root word referring back to the Latins or Italic people.

So...when did the term Latin- Americans and Latinos morph into a totally different meaning...... descendants of people from the NON-ITALIAN Iberian Peninsula (Spain + Portugal)?

Shouldn't they be called Iberian-Americans...I'm pretty sure French Canadians are NOT considered Latin-Americans either?!?! So there goes the Latin- language connections.

And with this information, should Italian Americans check "Latin" on the US Census forms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 12:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
“Latin American” refers to people from Latin America.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:29 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Yup.
/Close thread.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:40 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times
OP does have a valid point here.

Italians are the true Latinos. Remember where we get Latin culture (and language from)?

It wasn't Latin America, of course. It wasn't even Spain. It's from Italy.

Now if Italians want to labelled as "Latinos", that's fine.

But I don't think many would, and would rather see themselves as "non-Hispanic white" instead.

They don't want to asssciate themselves with anything Latino. They'd rather see themselves as "white."

Remember all the discrimination they used to face?

They learned upon arriving this country that being "white" was good and anything other was "bad."

This is why they'll see themselves as "white."

Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

I know that but the reference to "Latin" is back to Italy.

The term isn't Iberian- Americans or Mestizo -Americans it's Latin (Italy)

That's my whole question..are Italian Americans (ACTUAL direct descendants from Italy ) Latin Americans?

Old 03-31-2022, 01:04 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
no

Old 03-31-2022, 01:07 PM

613 posts, read 328,147 times
Nope.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:08 PM

613 posts, read 328,147 times
And in fact Latin Americans have more in common with Caribbean people & people in South Florida and the Southwestern United States than Europeans.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
And in fact Latin Americans have more in common with Caribbean people & people in South Florida and the Southwestern United States than Europeans.

guys...this isn't a question about the people that currently live in South America + Central America + Mexico, it's a question if Italian Americans are Latin Americans since the term L-A-T-I-N references the Italian culture and characteristics (latin people/non-anglos, orginally spoke a romance latin language- Italian, are/were majority roman catholic, plus they share many other "Latin" customs and cultural similarities.)

Again, I'm not ignoring the culture in Latin-America, I'm pointing out the main term used LATIN or Latins or Latinos or Latin Americans is a word that means ITALIAN in influence.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:24 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,856,713 times
lol yes but no because Italians never colonized America. Latin America is a weird term bcause there are so many exceptions to what it does and doesn't include. Doesn't include spanish-speaking places in Continental US regardless of whether they were originally Spanish colonies or if they are populated with Spanish-speaking immigrants,,, but does include Puerto Rico . Doesn't include Francophone places in Canada or US but does include French Guiana and Haiti AFAIK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.