Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: buy a house, apartment, condo, tax free, housing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:59 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what you get in your city for about $275,000. In Danbury,CT you can get a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, 1250 square foot 1960's ranch on a 1/8th of an acre.

Also for that amount of money, you could be living in a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath 1120 square foot townhouse built in 2003 with a one car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 06:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
There may be posters who are sick of my pics...! I've posted a lot on comparative values/what you get for the money...
But I bought my house on 4.3 acres, 2301 sq. ft., all brick, 3 car garage, 3 bedrooms/2.5 bathrooms, tray/cathedral ceilings, full house long wooden deck with built-in seating and lighting with a black topped and sealed driveway for $227,000 in southwestern Missouri near Springfield in Jan. 06. The house is more than I could ever have asked for, elegant, high-end details, it's a joy to live in. Here're some pics.
From the front acreage during the Summer of 06

A shot from late October 06, Fall Foilage

Up close

Part of the deck looking toward back woods. The house sits in the middle of the acreage and these woods go back about 2 acres further and are fenced. Got a doe in this shot

This property was so affordable I was able to buy it with cash and own it outright after having sold my home in Las Vegas in June of 05. Clearly where one lives is important as to prices, and it doesn't make sense to move somewhere that's cheap, but has a bad economy either. That's why I chose SW. Missouri. It's gorgeous, fantastic people, super reasonable real estate, low taxes (mine were $1,479 for 2006 for property taxes), and my electric bills run about $40/month except in July and August when they hit a high of $94.
Jobs are plentiful and there is visible prosperity in this area. My parents are looking at buying land here and building a house (they're in CA.), and my sister and brother-in-law are considering it too. All I know is I feel freakin' blessed!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
In Scranton, $275,000 would net you something similar to these:

Scranton: 1521 Euclid Avenue, Tripps Park Development. $270,000.
7 Rooms, 3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2,500 Square Feet, 0.25 Acre Lot, Tax-Free Status

Gouldsboro: 98 Bender Road, Lakeview Estates Development. $274,900.
8 Rooms, 3 BR, 2 BA, 1,240 Square Feet, 0.55 Acre Lot, $4,451 Annual Taxes

Wilkes-Barre: 115 Samantha Drive, Pine Ridge Development. $275,000.
10 Rooms, 3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2,150 Square Feet, 0.22 Acre Lot, $TBA Taxes

Scranton: 1220 Olive Street, Olive Street Townhomes. $275,000. 12 Rooms, 3 BR, 3.5 BA, 2,036 Square Feet, 0.07 Acre Lot, $TBA Taxes

Lake Ariel: 1495 Woodhill Lane, "The Hideout" Development. $279,000.
8 Rooms, 3 BR, 2 BA, 2,056 Square Feet, 0.34 Acre Lot, $2,099 Annual Taxes

Scranton: 2309 Adams Avenue, Green Ridge Neighborhood. $279,900.
12 Rooms, 4 BR, 2.5 BA, 2,796 Square Feet, 30'x178' Lot, $2,400 Annual Taxes

Kingston: 627 Charles Avenue, Historic District. $279,000. 9 Rooms,
4 BR, 3.5 BA, 3,300 Square Feet, 60'x150' Lot, $2,844 Annual Taxes

Still think Scranton is a second-class city?

Old 12-23-2006, 06:48 PM

As always ScrantonWilkesBarre, you go the extra miles in providing the most complete comparisons when it comes to real estate!!!!! I love the tours, I love the MLS homes at the various price levels, and I love looking at the pictures of all the beautiful homes in your area! I can see why you love it!

Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
As always ScrantonWilkesBarre, you go the extra miles in providing the most complete comparisons when it comes to real estate!!!!! I love the tours, I love the MLS homes at the various price levels, and I love looking at the pictures of all the beautiful homes in your area! I can see why you love it!
Thanks for the compliments! By the way, I never get tired of looking at your home. You have a beautiful abode; I'd show it off too for the rest of the world to see! The only thing that would make your home more "perfect" for my standards would be to plop it down in the heart of Downtown Springfield so I could walk five minutes to anything I wanted (I don't know how well a newer construction ranch home would go over in a Center City though! LOL!) It's just a shame that Scranton is having such a rough time competing with the 'burbs for new residents---That "tax-free" home along Euclid Avenue is part of a new tax-free housing development that strives to attract people back into the city, but even these homes really aren't selling. The plan is to lure them in at the notion of paying no taxes until 2011, and then, retaining them after that tax-free status is up so that Scranton will instantly see a financial boon in 2011 as all of these new homes are added back onto the tax rolls. Wilkes-Barre is currently developing a similar project in the way of a new tax-free loft apartment building in Center City which should be interesting.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
MoMark, we don't get tired of seeing pics of your home. It's very beautiful.

Scranton, are those pics of your home? They are very nice, too. I especially like the house with the nice fireplace and beautiful pic above it. Is that one yours?

Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 AM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
There may be posters who are sick of my pics...! I've posted a lot on comparative values/what you get for the money...
But I bought my house on 4.3 acres, 2301 sq. ft., all brick, 3 car garage, 3 bedrooms/2.5 bathrooms, tray/cathedral ceilings, full house long wooden deck with built-in seating and lighting with a black topped and sealed driveway for $227,000 in southwestern Missouri near Springfield in Jan. 06. The house is more than I could ever have asked for, elegant, high-end details, it's a joy to live in.

This property was so affordable I was able to buy it with cash and own it outright after having sold my home in Las Vegas in June of 05. Clearly where one lives is important as to prices, and it doesn't make sense to move somewhere that's cheap, but has a bad economy either. That's why I chose SW. Missouri. It's gorgeous, fantastic people, super reasonable real estate, low taxes (mine were $1,479 for 2006 for property taxes), and my electric bills run about $40/month except in July and August when they hit a high of $94.
Jobs are plentiful and there is visible prosperity in this area. My parents are looking at buying land here and building a house (they're in CA.), and my sister and brother-in-law are considering it too. All I know is I feel freakin' blessed!
MoMark - beautiful house! I'm hoping to do the same thing when I retire in 41 months and 7 days (not that I'm counting or anything ) I'm mainly looking into the Oklahoma City area but have considered SW MO also. With deals like that I may have to look further.

Now to the topic at hand: $275K in Arlington, VA will get you a 1BR/1BA condo between 700-1000 sf. And those are in the older, less desirable areas.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 AM

Thank you Jammie and rdbeard5! Very kind of you! And I hope rdbeard5 that you find the right area. I also happen to like eastern, northeastern Oklahoma.
It just blows me away what people pay for differnent home around the country! There are still bargain areas in beautiful states with fantastic scenery, but...people have pre-conceived notions I think that prevent them from considering a lot of areas, or, worry about finding jobs that make the lower prices not as tempting. Research is good!

Old 12-24-2006, 08:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I wonder how hard it will be to find a home that hasn't been "upgraded" and has the original 30's, 40's or 50's bathrooms and kitchens? What I want is a small home on some land, because my goal would be to build another one like I have now, all concrete and no wood or drywall, and it would be nice to have an original home to work with, either to restore or disassamble to reuse goodies in the new place. Think Frank Lloyd wright or Raymond Loewy style for my new place, or maybe I can find an original to restore? Also price is not the issue, I don't want to spend more than 2,000 a year for property tax, PERIOD. Also need at least 5 acres in an area with no restrictions. Trees and wildlife preferred! Having a stream or gas well for free power would just be icing on the cake!

Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
MoMark, we don't get tired of seeing pics of your home. It's very beautiful.

Scranton, are those pics of your home? They are very nice, too. I especially like the house with the nice fireplace and beautiful pic above it. Is that one yours?

Thanks for the compliments, but no, that's not my home! I would love to be able to live in the historic home in Kingston that I showed you all, but instead I live in a ranch home in a newer development devoid of character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.