Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 12:39 PM

724 posts, read 560,028 times

Advertisements

NYC, LA, CHI, DC, SF.

>omg my city should be up there

Bro, its just an opinion. Relax lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 12:45 PM

373 posts, read 252,676 times
I think SF is more premier than all but NYC and LA and that's cause the size difference but the other metros aren't big enough to pull the size card over SF. SF is more international than the rest and more desired by most and rated higher than those cities.. lonely planet had SF as best city in world in 2013. This year SF is ranked 11th best city in world on bestcities.org and number 3 in US behind only NYC and LA. It was only behind NYC last year and it is the only US City outside NYC to be number 1 in the world at a time.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
I think SF is more premier than all but NYC and LA and that's cause the size difference but the other metros aren't big enough to pull the size card over SF. SF is more international than the rest and more desired by most and rated higher than those cities.. lonely planet had SF as best city in world in 2013. This year SF is ranked 11th best city in world on bestcities.org and number 3 in US behind only NYC and LA. It was only behind NYC last year and it is the only US City outside NYC to be number 1 in the world at a time.
It's hard to see SF as a premier city, with the ridiculous COL, and human excrement on the streets and sidewalks. I've seen it for myself, and it's appalling. So, I would say, dream on.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:48 PM

It's also 2nd densest city in USA. Technology capital of the world, 2nd most futuristic city in world behind tokyo, most innovative city in world in 2017, 5th most dreamed of destination in the world (2nd in US), 4th most beloved city in world according to CNN, highest wages in world, one of the most politically influential cities in world, and many many more accolades.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:52 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
It's also 2nd densest city in USA. Technology capital of the world, 2nd most futuristic city in world behind tokyo, most innovative city in world in 2017, 5th most dreamed of destination in the world (2nd in US), 4th most beloved city in world according to CNN, highest wages in world, one of the most politically influential cities in world, and many many more accolades.
Ok but that still doesn't put it over DC when DC is literally the capital of the most powerful country on earth. That status may be waning, but we're still at #1. If anything, SF ties with Chicago for 4th place. But SF is definitely behind NYC, LA, and DC. I think there are good arguments for either SF or Chicago being at 4th.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:55 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
There is no way the answer is not NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, and DC.

Boston makes a good candidate for 6th place. Philly should probably be top 10. Others in the top 10 would probably be Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Maybe replace Atlanta with Seattle.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
1.NYC, 2.LA, 3.Chicago, 4.DC ... SF, Boston, Philly tied. each one has it's merits for being 5th.

Agree with this.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
There is no way the answer is not NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, and DC.

Boston makes a good candidate for 6th place. Philly should probably be top 10. Others in the top 10 would probably be Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Maybe replace Atlanta with Seattle.
Atlanta is ahead of Seattle but I don't think the gap is very large.

Had you said maybe replace Atlanta with Miami, you'd have more of an argument. But then we'd probably be arguing just exactly what is meant by "premier" since both places are similar in size and economy but with obviously different strengths and spheres of influence.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
It's hard to see SF as a premier city, with the ridiculous COL, and human excrement on the streets and sidewalks. I've seen it for myself, and it's appalling. So, I would say, dream on.
Yea well cost of living doesnt disqualify a world class premier city like SF. You sound like a Cali hater but who knows. Our opinion doesn't determine if SF is world class, SF makes itself world class

Old 03-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ok but that still doesn't put it over DC when DC is literally the capital of the most powerful country on earth. That status may be waning, but we're still at #1. If anything, SF ties with Chicago for 4th place. But SF is definitely behind NYC, LA, and DC. I think there are good arguments for either SF or Chicago being at 4th.
D.C. is too reliant on country status to be above SF. SF is more world class, international, and desirable than DC and arguably the lost desirable city in country depending on who you ask it has long been considered the crown jewel of the west coast but lately it might be losing grasp because of some issues but I'm not sure. The metro area is the most diverse in US ethnically and biblically and geographically with rainforest redwood forest, semi arid climate, Mediterranean climate, snow at mountain peaks, warm east bay beaches, islands, mountains, hills, ocean, valleys, forests, dry shrub, redwoods, palm trees, bays, capes, waterfalls etc... It has a piece of everything in that metropolitan area. California cities have an advantage.

Last edited by tion91; 03-06-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.