Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM

869 posts, read 319,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You'd have an argument if Houston were the only source for all energy in the entire world, but that's not what being the energy capital of the world entails anymore than Austin being the capital of Texas means that all of Texas exists within Austin.

I'd agree, except that being the capital of all of Texas, and being the energy capital of ALL THE WORLD is a huge friggin bigger deal. Even YOU have got to know that.

That aside, yes...I'm aware that Houston is not the ONLY source of energy in the world, despite it being the capital of said energy. You can also apply that logic to New York...after all, it isn't the ONLY financial district in the world. Chicago isn't the ONLY logistics hotspot in the world. LA isn't the ONLY manufacturing base on the planet.

Catch my drift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The only thing I would argue is possibly the order of your top five. Being the capital of the most powerful country in the world puts you in top two or three conversation

Dallas citizens may be vain but they’re certainly not banging the drum about how great dfw is and have readily admit that their city isn’t perfect
Dallas citizens may be vain but they’re certainly not banging the drum about how great dfw is and have readily admit that their city isn’t perfect

You and I have two TOTALLY different experiences on this forum, bub. Dallasites ARE THE WORST when it comes to chest-thumping about how great their city is. You must be looking in the wrong threads.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Houston is the world's number one "healthcare producing" city!? It's not even a top five healthcare hub in the U.S. Other cities run laps around Houston when you consider into the equation best hospitals/specialty hospitals/R&D/bio.. Boston, NYC, SF, Chicago, MSP, etc.

The top healthcare hub in the World is Tokyo, by the way.

And this poster is confused why he lacked credibility on this thread?

Who decides who's "Credible" or not???

I'd bet my right arm that not a one person commenting in these threads is an Economic Expert of some kind.

We're all just a bunch of bored key-punchers with a bunch of personal opinions.

Slow your roll, genius.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

I'd bet my right arm that not a one person commenting in these threads is an Economic Expert of some kind.

Slow your roll, genius.
Economic expert?

I shot down the mention of Houston being the world's number one "Healthcare producer".

Do we need a unique expertise in economics to talk about Healthcare?

And I'm the genius...

Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:

Slow your roll, genius.
Now, if you would like to turn this into a conversation about the differences in regional economies, it's reasonably straight forward. I'd suggest p/capita GDP as a good measure of relative output. For us simpletons - you and I included - you can back up arguments with data.

Houston does fairly well when it comes to p/capita GPD. It's certainly not in the top 10 MSAs, but still notable. Better than your hated DFW!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-metro-area/

^That is fact.

As far as my personal opinion, if Houston is somewhere between 5-10 premier cities in 2020, it's because of cultural relevance. Rap and hip hop, all-star athletes, diversity, strong local culinary scene. Other than that, I'm not sure why anyone would argue otherwise. Economy is just OK. It's not exactly known as beautiful city/downtown (I think we can all agree on that). Lacks any real, material energy, especially for it's population. No diversity in topography within it's metro. The ocean front within the MSA is bleak. It lacks any real historical relevance. Weather isn't great. Neighborhoods have no cohesion. And despite what you say, it's not a medical hub. It's not a tech hub. It's most certainly not an education hub. To folks that live in Houston, who cares? But, for many that don't, it matters when you're comparing two places.

Last edited by mwj119; 03-24-2020 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Did I say anyone was beating up on anyone?

What I said it's everyone, and I specified both sides, need to cut it out and stop filling up the thread about Houston already.
I love Houston but these arguments on this particular issue in this thread is overdone. Enough already.
They starve when you stop feeding them
When you said "give Houston a break," to me it read as you saying we were piling up on the city itself as opposed to countering nonsensical assertions about the city in relation to others. I see what you're saying now but there have been some really ridiculous things said that couldn't go unchallenged.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I'd agree, except that being the capital of all of Texas, and being the energy capital of ALL THE WORLD is a huge friggin bigger deal. Even YOU have got to know that.
It's called an analogy sir.

Quote:
That aside, yes...I'm aware that Houston is not the ONLY source of energy in the world, despite it being the capital of said energy. You can also apply that logic to New York...after all, it isn't the ONLY financial district in the world. Chicago isn't the ONLY logistics hotspot in the world. LA isn't the ONLY manufacturing base on the planet.

Catch my drift?
Not really, because no one is saying the same thing about the industries in those cities as you are about the energy industry in Houston. Nobody here is implying that all manufacturing happens in LA or that all financial activity happens in NYC or Chicago, but you are definitely doing that regarding energy and Houston.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Economic expert?

I shot down the mention of Houston being the world's number one "Healthcare producer".

Do we need a unique expertise in economics to talk about Healthcare?

And I'm the genius...

Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Now, if you would like to turn this into a conversation about the differences in regional economies, it's reasonably straight forward. I'd suggest p/capita GDP as a good measure of relative output. For us simpletons - you and I included - you can back up arguments with data.

Houston does fairly well when it comes to p/capita GPD. It's certainly not in the top 10 MSAs, but still notable. Better than your hated DFW!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...by-metro-area/

^That is fact.

As far as my personal opinion, if Houston is somewhere between 5-10 premier cities in 2020, it's because of cultural relevance. Rap and hip hop, all-star athletes, diversity, strong local culinary scene. Other than that, I'm not sure why anyone would argue otherwise. Economy is just OK. It's not exactly known as beautiful city/downtown (I think we can all agree on that). Lacks any real, material energy, especially for it's population. No diversity in topography within it's metro. The ocean front within the MSA is bleak. It lacks any real historical relevance. Weather isn't great. Neighborhoods have no cohesion. And despite what you say, it's not a medical hub. It's not a tech hub. It's most certainly not an education hub. To folks that live in Houston, who cares? But, for many that don't, it matters when you're comparing two places.

I actually agree with most of what you said...which STILL proves my point. Pretty much everything you named is all cosmetic...which I suppose is important to some folks (looking at you, Dallasites )...but none of what you named is something that any person CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT. Topography? GDP? Oceanfront views? Who cares??

But ENERGY? Yes...people wouldn't know what to do if everything were suddenly switched off without warning. And yes...HOUSTON IS a medical hub, which is why people come from all over the world to be treated in our medical center. No, it's not number one...but it ain't number 100 either.

And before you say it...I'm aware that Houston isn't the only source of energy production on the planet. It IS, however, number 1...and that ain't nothing to blow off.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's called an analogy sir.

Not really, because no one is saying the same thing about the industries in those cities as you are about the energy industry in Houston. Nobody here is implying that all manufacturing happens in LA or that all financial activity happens in NYC or Chicago, but you are definitely doing that regarding energy and Houston.

I LITERALLY just said that I'm aware that Houston is not the end-all be-all of energy...but since it IS the capital, I thought it important to dwell on that particular aspect, since everyone's saying that Houston doesn't deserve a shot at #5, when energy is something that we ALL need.

But okay...I'm done. I can't keep repeating myself. You either get it or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.