Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Impressive Built Environment outside NYC and Chicago?
San Francisco 29 25.89%
D.C. 18 16.07%
Boston 15 13.39%
Philly 20 17.86%
Miami 8 7.14%
Seattle 7 6.25%
Los Angeles 8 7.14%
Dallas 3 2.68%
Atlanta 1 0.89%
Other (specify) 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM

373 posts, read 253,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Maybe, care to share the underlying data you are using to make these statements? And you realize that Philadelphia has much larger parks than anything in San Fransisco? None the less, the massive oil refinery that is getting ready to be redeveloped. By percentage, SF has a lot more detached single family homes: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...LYY.png&w=1440
SF isbthe only city with census tracts over 100k ppsm outside NYC. SF peak density is higher than any city in US or Canada not named NYC. Period. That's why SF almost has twice as many people per square mile as SF and 2nd most housing units per square mile in US and Canada behind only NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 06:41 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Some photos to show that you folks are nuts for thinking SF or Philly have more impressive built environments than Boston:

https://flic.kr/p/2ipHSCK
https://flic.kr/p/2iApZeq
https://flic.kr/p/2iAnkZB
https://flic.kr/p/2iBTtFk
https://flic.kr/p/RXDDH2
https://flic.kr/p/2ejjSPZ
It’s downtown can absolutely complete but Boston doesn’t maintain that lvl of structural density the way Philly & San Fran maintain theirs once you get 3-4 miles outside of their CBD’s.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
SF isbthe only city with census tracts over 100k ppsm outside NYC. SF peak density is higher than any city in US or Canada not named NYC. Period. That's why SF almost has twice as many people per square mile as SF and 2nd most housing units per square mile in US and Canada behind only NYC
Again.... why do you keep bringing up population density when this thread is about built environment?

SF is not more urbanely built than Philly despite having a significantly higher population density, and the only reason it’s housing stock per square mile is that high is because of it tiny official boarders, not raw housing stock count

Old 03-10-2020, 06:44 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
SF isbthe only city with census tracts over 100k ppsm outside NYC.
PROVE. IT.

I’ve been trying to find data myself, but haven’t been able to. I’d be shocked, though, if peak density in SF were much higher than in Boston.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
PROVE. IT.

I’ve been trying to find data myself, but haven’t been able to. I’d be shocked, though, if peak density in SF were much higher than that of Boston.
DC, Boston & SF have virtually identical daytime peak population densities

Old 03-10-2020, 06:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It’s downtown can absolutely complete but Boston doesn’t maintain that lvl of structural density the way Philly & San Fran maintain there’s once you get 3-4 miles outside of their CBD’s.
Absolutely, as well as DC.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
It’s downtown can absolutely complete but Boston doesn’t maintain that lvl of structural density the way Philly & San Fran maintain theirs once you get 3-4 miles outside of their CBD’s.
Somerville, MA is not only more densely populated than the city of Boston. It’s also more densely populated than the city of San Francisco.

I’ll also remind you that 3-4miles from SF looks like this.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:00 PM

613 posts, read 327,931 times
Don't sleep on the south either just because they are more known for sprawl than the North is. They will improve as the years go along

Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Somerville, MA is not only more densely populated than the city of Boston. It’s also more densely populated than the city of San Francisco.
You’d have a point if this thread was about population density, but it’s not.

Built Environment

Quote:
I’ll also remind you that 3-4miles from SF looks like this.
Yes.... because building homes on the top of damn mountain is about as realistic as building homes in the middle of Boston Harbor

Outside of their CBD’s.... SF blows Boston out in structural density

Old 03-10-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
You’d have a point if this thread was about population density, but it’s not.

Built Environment
Just so I understand your point: you’re saying that Somerville and Cambridge are less impressive than Daly City and San Bruno so therefore Boston is less impressive than SF?

Edit: Was at the wrong scale on Google maps. 3mi from the CBD of SF lands you in the Mission District or Laurel Heights? I still think Cambridge and Somerville more than compete. The density drop off in Boston occurs in earnest at 5 or 6 miles from the CBD.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-10-2020 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.