Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 11:34 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,770,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes but when those fringes have 3,000,000 people it’s an issue.

Boston is not a city of 8.5 million.
Boston is a city of 700,000. The fact is for basis of comparison, there is no perfect stat because they were built for average criterion. There will therefore be outliers. But a CSA never separates an employment center from an employment base both located in the geographic center of a region. Therefore if one must look at only one stat, CSA is better. But ideally you are taking these things into context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Urban Area is a better measurement of cities actual size
This is the answer. There are so many bloated MSAs, CSAs, even city limits out there that elevate a city's functional size. Conversely, there are constricted city limits, MSAs and CSAs that diminish a city statistically.
The most obvious example of these dynamics plays out in Florida, by giving us Jacksonville as the state's largest city. Not only isn't Jacksonville the functionally largest city in Florida, it isn't even 2nd or 3rd.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:04 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is the answer. There are so many bloated MSAs, CSAs, even city limits out there that elevate a city's functional size. Conversely, there are constricted city limits, MSAs and CSAs that diminish a city statistically.
There are also constricted urbanized areas as well. No stat is perfect and you really have to look at several within the geographical context to get a comprehensive understanding of a place.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:03 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,922,198 times
Quote:
Yes but when those fringes have 3,000,000 people it’s an issue.

Boston is not a city of 8.5 million.
I know you don’t like to recognize it, but I work in Andover and I have co-workers that live in Chelsea, Manchester, and Southbridge. We all fly out of Logan.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Depends on the region but honestly a metropolitan division. CSAs have way too much rural land and don’t Necessarily encompass much urbanized area at all. Some do but my most don’t.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Boston is a city of 700,000. The fact is for basis of comparison, there is no perfect stat because they were built for average criterion. There will therefore be outliers. But a CSA never separates an employment center from an employment base both located in the geographic center of a region. Therefore if one must look at only one stat, CSA is better. But ideally you are taking these things into context.
The Boston CSA includes eastern Connecticut and the entire state of Rhode Island. It’s preposterous Is Boston the 5th biggest city in the US? Hell no.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The cities of Chicago and Philadelphia are bigger than Boston. But as a region, as a market, Boston is up there. Things aren’t how they were in 1960.
‘Boston’ is the Boston/Cambridge-Metro Division about 2 million people.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 AM

7 posts, read 2,411 times
CSA’s are evil

Old 03-13-2020, 08:43 AM

13,944 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
‘Boston’ is the Boston/Cambridge-Metro Division about 2 million people.
According to the census the “Boston metro division” is Plymouth, Norfolk and Suffolk County.

Middlesex and Essex are Cambridge.

So according to the Census Boston is 2.04 million and Cambridge is 2.41 million.

So Metro divisions are horrible. But so are CSA’s

Old 03-13-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
According to the census the “Boston metro division” is Plymouth, Norfolk and Suffolk County.

Middlesex and Essex are Cambridge.

So according to the Census Boston is 2.04 million and Cambridge is 2.41 million.

So Metro divisions are horrible. But so are CSA’s
Okay-that’s fine, either was ..Metro division gives you a better sense of the size scale people ACTUALLY experience life. For me Plymouth Norfolk and Suffolk County is exactly where I spent all my time In n It’s roughly equivalent to the Cambridge metro (which is a little more populous for sure) works just fine for me. When I look at the demographics and population of that 2.01 million it makes a lot of sense and feel accurate.

If your north shore the Middlesex and Essex makes sense and if your south shore I think the Suffolk’s Plymouth Norfolk makes sense. Most people in the north shore don’t see most of Suffolk County (land or population wise) because they don’t really go south of Mass Ave-if they make it that far.

So I’d go Metro Division before CSA, neither is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.