Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 04:41 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times

Advertisements

The most expensive city versus the average wage of local workers would be Nashville, Tennessee. It has been an economic hot spot for quite a few years with international health care and hospital corporations taking over the economy.

Now Amazon is moving a huge working force of both blue and white collar workers. At last count, there were 25 huge overhead cranes working within eyesight of downtown.

Apartments built in the mid 60's are running 92% occupancy with average rents of around $1,400 per month. And most of them are not really livable. I honestly don't know how the average working stiff can afford to live there.

Hotel prices are right up there with Manhattan and Boston, and there seems no end to hotel construction.

And with all this great economy, the city's running at a $46 million deficit this year and the city's spending money like there's no end. Now they want to increase property tax rates, even though taxes have been quite high in recent years with property appraisals raised out of sight.

I live 90 miles south in Alabama and our property prices are about half that of Middle Tennessee. Our property taxes are maybe 25% that of Metro Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Yeah, noticed that...was contemplating a visit before the virus hit. I will pay NYC hotel prices in Manhattan—not Nashville. I realize I don’t have to stay in The Gulch, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The most expensive city versus the average wage of local workers would be Nashville, Tennessee. It has been an economic hot spot for quite a few years with international health care and hospital corporations taking over the economy.

Now Amazon is moving a huge working force of both blue and white collar workers. At last count, there were 25 huge overhead cranes working within eyesight of downtown.

Apartments built in the mid 60's are running 92% occupancy with average rents of around $1,400 per month. And most of them are not really livable. I honestly don't know how the average working stiff can afford to live there.

Hotel prices are right up there with Manhattan and Boston, and there seems no end to hotel construction.

And with all this great economy, the city's running at a $46 million deficit this year and the city's spending money like there's no end. Now they want to increase property tax rates, even though taxes have been quite high in recent years with property appraisals raised out of sight.

I live 90 miles south in Alabama and our property prices are about half that of Middle Tennessee. Our property taxes are maybe 25% that of Metro Nashville.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-12-2020 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-12-2020, 05:26 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Nope, you're the New Yorker troll that says SJ is an overgrown cultureless suburb which is furthest from the truth
Actually you’re the SJ troll that says that about SJ. Most of us know you hate SJ

Old 04-12-2020, 06:38 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
I'm a native Nashvillian and live just over the Alabama State Line. I think it's been 5-6 years since I've been in that great city other than flying out of their great airport.

It's Party Central USA most of the time. Just not until the Coronavirus issue is settled.

You can find more reasonable accommodations out in Franklin, TN--15-20 miles south. It's where you can eat in certain restaurants and see the stars up close and personal because most of them live there. I'll admit that Leiper's Fork is one of the most beautiful residential communities I've ever seen. The Judds, Amy & Vince, Justin Timberlake and many others live out there.

Checkout Franklin and the Cool Spings Mall area when you hit town. They're just the place to be--other than downtown.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:47 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times
I get Nashville.

I don’t get NYC. Rude, kinda grubby, too many people crowded together. The very preponderance of culture in the city ironically makes it provincial. It’s unrelatable. Obviously a lot of people do, but even though I prefer a large city with lots of diversity, I don’t get the appeal or high rents of NYC. Yup, I’m that guy.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I get Nashville.

I don’t get NYC. Rude, kinda grubby, too many people crowded together. The very preponderance of culture in the city ironically makes it provincial. It’s unrelatable. Obviously a lot of people do, but even though I prefer a large city with lots of diversity, I don’t get the appeal or high rents of NYC. Yup, I’m that guy.
But, Knoxville is prettier and cheaper than Nashville? edit: i'm just messing around, and not questioning your choice. Hehe

Howdy, i hope everything is alright with you on this crazy weather Easter.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:32 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Actually you’re the SJ troll that says that about SJ. Most of us know you hate SJ
No, I don't troll nor hate SJ since it's my hometown.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:48 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Charleston, SC. I just want to visit and get my Firefly whiskey and hit up the breweries on the north side without paying $300 for a hotel. There's no reason for such a cost. We're in a $20 hotel room in Tokyo right now and we've done just fine for 2 weeks. Build them smaller, ugh.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Charleston, SC. I just want to visit and get my Firefly whiskey and hit up the breweries on the north side without paying $300 for a hotel. There's no reason for such a cost. We're in a $20 hotel room in Tokyo right now and we've done just fine for 2 weeks. Build them smaller, ugh.
You'll probably get your wish once things start getting back to normal. Hotels will most likely be offering discounts to lure visitors.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:04 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Washington DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.