Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 11:37 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Boston, Florida, New York City, New Jersey, Illinois, California, Washington all I know of.

SF Under lockdown I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 11:45 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I ask this because the governor of Washington has ordered all bars to close (and restaurants can only serve food via takeout). But when I swung by my parents house in the Tangletown neighborhood of Seattle I noticed that the corner bar up the street was open and pretty crowded (Leny’s on 56th and Kirkwood).

So I guess the order was just a suggestion? I’m wondering what people in Chicago, Kentucky, etc. and other places where bars have been ordered to close are seeing. Is there any teeth to enforcing this? I’m pretty surprised and honestly am conflicted. I get that this is people’s livelihood and maybe they can’t afford closing for a long period, but this is a public health emergency and crowding into a bar seems like a bad idea. Anyway, I’m curious what other cities where bars and restaurants have been ordered to close are seeing.
Just to clarify - I guess the order took effect at midnight last night, so that bar wasn’t breaking any rules yet.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:42 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
bars, restaurants (though some are staying open for takeout), and gyms in Miami.

I also complained to my city council about adding those annoying electric scooters to the ban....how many people touch the handle bars of a given scooter on any day--2, 4, 12?

This is like being back in high school--my parents kept a tight reign on me, I ate out less, I went to bars less, did not belong to a gym back then, and watched more TV.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
I live in The Woodlands a Houston suburb. And I don’t want to get too political but there’s a certain demographic here that believes anything not on FOX news is liberal hogwash. Therefore Bars here are doing the complete opposite of what should be done because it’s a “liberal conspiracy”. Bars are actually more packed tonight than a normal Tuesday night. Smh I can’t wait to leave this burb.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:16 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
MBTA Subway ridership is down 50% and MTA in New York is down 55% so people are staying home.

Metro North RR ridership is down 90%!

Old 03-17-2020, 11:14 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I live in The Woodlands a Houston suburb. And I don’t want to get too political but there’s a certain demographic here that believes anything not on FOX news is liberal hogwash. Therefore Bars here are doing the complete opposite of what should be done because it’s a “liberal conspiracy”. Bars are actually more packed tonight than a normal Tuesday night. Smh I can’t wait to leave this burb.
I can’t speak to the fine folks in Houston, but I think you’re way off base thinking it’s only Fox News watching demographic going out partying and not taking this seriously.

Before the city of San Diego shut down the bars on Monday many were going around like it was nothing. There’s a very large Facebook group here at the beach where there’s countless bars, and a young population. Those who didn’t care about the severity of this (they did, but it wasn’t gonna effect their life) were mostly young Democrats/Liberals. This was painfully obvious when I clicked on their profiles to see who could be such an ignoramus and so flippant about it.

I’m not saying you aren’t surrounded by those saying it’s a liberal conspiracy, I’m sure you are, but don’t think for a second it’s only them packing the bars. Also it might be more packed than a usual Tuesday today because it’s St. Patty’s Day.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I live in a small metro on the TN/VA border.

Many places are closing voluntarily. There is one local case.

Our manager sent us home yesterday to WFH, but senior management got wind of it and recalled us all back into the office today. What good is it going to do to me to stay home when I'm cooped up with eleven other people in a cube farm smaller than my garage for eight hours a day? I went out to dinner and to the bar last night.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:08 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I can’t speak to the fine folks in Houston, but I think you’re way off base thinking it’s only Fox News watching demographic going out partying and not taking this seriously.

Before the city of San Diego shut down the bars on Monday many were going around like it was nothing. There’s a very large Facebook group here at the beach where there’s countless bars, and a young population. Those who didn’t care about the severity of this (they did, but it wasn’t gonna effect their life) were mostly young Democrats/Liberals. This was painfully obvious when I clicked on their profiles to see who could be such an ignoramus and so flippant about it.

I’m not saying you aren’t surrounded by those saying it’s a liberal conspiracy, I’m sure you are, but don’t think for a second it’s only them packing the bars. Also it might be more packed than a usual Tuesday today because it’s St. Patty’s Day.
I was only speaking in terms of the burbs I live in, not the general U.S. pop or even the entire city of Houston. Granted I don't know everybody's political beliefs in the suburbs of The Woodlands but being that this particular burb is a heavily conservative area I can assure you majority of the people attending those bars fit that demographic. And this was only fueled by people I ran across in this suburb saying for days, "conspiracy to make Trump look bad blah blah blah".

I know for a fact that it's a little bit of everybody being careless. But just in the area I live, I know the general demographic.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Yes. They're willing: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/la...7da44b2b5.html

Old 03-19-2020, 05:38 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
yea!!...Miami has also shut down/indefinitely suspended use of electric scooters !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.