Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Once the high speed rail between LA and LV opens up, I bet a ton of people will flood into LV to take the train into LA for higher paying jobs, yet have the low COL in LV.
High-speed rail has very little impact on daily commuting. That's like expecting people to commute from Boston to NYC daily because of Acela.

Even if it was priced at a very generous $50 or $60 round-trip that doesn't make sense 5x a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
High-speed rail has very little impact on daily commuting. That's like expecting people to commute from Boston to NYC daily because of Acela.

Even if it was priced at a very generous $50 or $60 round-trip that doesn't make sense 5x a week.
I think it depends. For many professionals today, they don't come to the office every day. If you commuted to an expensive market 3 times a week at $600 a month, it could easily make sense based on housing savings alone.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:13 PM

71 posts, read 51,067 times
Expanding on my previous post, is there any other place in the US where four contiguous counties are in four separate MSAs? From west to east in Kansas, Potawatomie County is part of Manhattan KS CSA. It borders Shawnee County which is part of Topeka KS MSA, which borders Douglas County which is the Lawrence KS MSA and Douglas County borders several counties (Johnson and Leavenworth) which are part of KC MSA.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Over the decades, Wake County has exploded in population and workforce. In 1970, Durham County had 132,681 people while Wake County had 228,453. By 2018, Durham grew to 316,739 while Wake grew to 1,092,305. For every person added to Durham Co. since 1970, Wake added about 4.7. (By MSA this past decade, Raleigh-Cary added more than 3 new residents for every 1 added to Durham-Chapel Hill) So, over the decades, and even if Wake added more commuters to the Durham side of RTP (Research Triangle Park), the percentage of commuters from Wake to Durham decreases. Oddly, with each passing year, the communities near the borders of the two MSAs become more and more intermingled and dependent on each other's MSA's resources while the metrics by which MSAs are counted likely drift further and further apart.
At the end of the day, it's simply an oddity situation.
It's quite interesting how Wake County was so much more open to growth from RTP from the very beginning compared to Durham. Historically Durham was the more prosperous city, being a hub of the tobacco and textile industries while Raleigh was mostly state government and higher ed (industries which weren't anywhere near as prominent as today) with a handful of textile mills so it's understandable that Raleigh/Wake embraced RTP as much as it did, but it took so much longer for Durham to do so. I also understand that Durham had something of a UGB in place back in the day also.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Wake County simply had more available land. Between that and the school situation, Wake was bound to absorb more of the housing for RTP workers.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Wake County simply had more available land. Between that and the school situation, Wake was bound to absorb more of the housing for RTP workers.
True, but it seems attitudes towards growth have been somewhat different historically on the two sides. This article was pretty informative regarding that: https://indyweek.com/news/triangle-g...nsit-identity/

Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStoNYtoILtoTX View Post
Expanding on my previous post, is there any other place in the US where four contiguous counties are in four separate MSAs? From west to east in Kansas, Potawatomie County is part of Manhattan KS CSA. It borders Shawnee County which is part of Topeka KS MSA, which borders Douglas County which is the Lawrence KS MSA and Douglas County borders several counties (Johnson and Leavenworth) which are part of KC MSA.
6. Nash County (Rocky Mount MSA), Wake (Raleigh-Cary), Chatham (Durham-Chapel Hill), Alamance (Burlington), Guilford (Greensboro-High Point), Forsyth (Winston-Salem).

Edit, actually 7 if you skip Forsyth and go to Davidson (which is in the Winston-Salem MSA) and then head to Rowan (Charlotte MSA).

Last edited by Heel82; 03-19-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's quite interesting how Wake County was so much more open to growth from RTP from the very beginning compared to Durham. Historically Durham was the more prosperous city, being a hub of the tobacco and textile industries while Raleigh was mostly state government and higher ed (industries which weren't anywhere near as prominent as today) with a handful of textile mills so it's understandable that Raleigh/Wake embraced RTP as much as it did, but it took so much longer for Durham to do so. I also understand that Durham had something of a UGB in place back in the day also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don't think that one can underestimate the small presence that IBM already had in Raleigh prior to their commitment to RTP. IBM's commitment to RTP compelled the state to build that initial small stretch of I-40 from Raleigh to RTP, when it neither went east nor west of that stretch. That was hardly a coincidence and was probably a condition for RTP to land IBM. Raleigh truly owes its early years growth to that one company alone, as waves of transferees reached out to other IBMers who had already settled in Raleigh....and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on. The rest, as they say, is history.
The IBMers who came primarily from NY demanded better schools and nicer resources and the city of Raleigh and Wake County responded. Wake County also consolidated its school system into one back in 1976, which put the path of its schools on a stronger foundation, while it took Durham County until 1992 to do the same.
As Raleigh/Wake was ascending and attracting more and more people, and becoming stronger and stronger, Durham's legacy economy started waning. While it is perfectly reasonable to understand why Durham didn't embrace RTP in the same way that Raleigh did in the early days, it turned out to be a costly mistake in hindsight. Of course there will be folks who think that it wasn't a mistake at all, but it's undeniable that Durham lost economic growth and opportunity for decades that nearly exclusively went to Raleigh/Wake.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 03-19-2020 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't think that one can underestimate the small presence that IBM already had in Raleigh prior to their commitment to RTP. IBM's commitment to RTP compelled the state to build that initial small stretch of I-40 from Raleigh to RTP, when it neither went east nor west of that stretch. That was hardly a coincidence and was probably a condition for RTP to land IBM. Raleigh truly owes its early years growth to that one company alone, as waves of transferees reached out to other IBMers who had already settled in Raleigh....and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and they told two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on. The rest, as they say, is history.
The IBMers who came primarily from NY demanded better schools and nicer resources and the city of Raleigh and Wake County responded. Wake County also consolidated its school system into one back in 1976, which put the path of its schools on a stronger foundation, while it took Durham County until 1992 to do the same.
As Raleigh/Wake was ascending and attracting more and more people, and becoming stronger and stronger, Durham's legacy economy started waning. While it is perfectly reasonable to understand why Durham didn't embrace RTP in the same way that Raleigh did in the early days, it turned out to be a costly mistake in hindsight. Of course there will be folks who think that it wasn't a mistake at all, but it's undeniable that Durham lost economic growth and opportunity for decades that nearly exclusively went to Raleigh/Wake.
Very good info. Don’t forget the impact of the Canadians and Nortel either.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I think that the Denver MSA should include Boulder CO, ( it used to) which is only 28 miles from downtown Denver. Im not sure of the commuter percentages, but it is a continuous development, and even has cities in the Boulder and Denver MSAs that share land borders. But being from Denver, i suppose it does "feel" a little different up there.
Are we a little too whacked for you? J/K! I basically agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Exactly. And I don't know anybody commuting from Boulder or Longmont into Denver either. And at worst, Boulder County inbound commuters are coming from Weld, Broomfield, Jefferson, or Adams; the latter three of which are solidly Denver MSA.
I know people from Boulder (a few) commuting to Denver and lots from Louisville where I live commuting there and also to Adams and Jefferson Counties, which are also solidly Denver MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.