Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 12,119 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating from So. California to Delaware or No. Carolina. Any opinions and/or suggestions on your favorite cities (or those to avoid). Weather is an important factor. Would prefer city to a small town.I am retired but have a twenty-two year old with me. Thank you for any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM

994 posts, read 950,794 times
Do you want tons of snow and sub freezing temps most of the winter or just some of the winter? N Carolina easily. Though I suggest Western NC if you're use to mountains.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,794,903 times
Why these two states?

North Carolina is much bigger in size, population, and has a more diverse landscape. It would seemingly give you more options based on your criteria.

Delaware has one city with over 40,000 people (Wilmington), while North Carolina has ~25 cities with over 40,000 people.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
North Carolina

Old 03-26-2020, 04:39 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,666,573 times
Odd combination of choices, but why not?
I'll vote Delaware because it hardly gets any notice on here, and it seems nice enough from my limited experience with it. Close several very major northeast cities. Delaware isn't the coldest place out there by any means, but NC will be a bit warmer on average.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:12 PM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janycez View Post
Considering relocating from So. California to Delaware or No. Carolina. Any opinions and/or suggestions on your favorite cities (or those to avoid). Weather is an important factor. Would prefer city to a small town.I am retired but have a twenty-two year old with me. Thank you for any input.
If weather is a factor and a retiree with a preference for cities over towns, North Carolina is probably seen as more retiree friendly with better weather and has nicer city options than Delaware. In terms of a focus city I would suggest Greensboro which is large enough probably (290K population) with a vibrant downtown, has plenty of shopping/services, a sizable community of people your 22 year old's age or similar thanks to a couple of large universities (UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T) plus a decent very sizable medical center (Moses Cone) if health care options are a concern. The climate is pretty mild with snow/ice a rarity and four otherwise equal seasons with beautiful Autumns and Springs. The cost of living very importantly is also fairly low with very affordable real estate, whether you buy or rent.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Do you want tons of snow and sub freezing temps most of the winter or just some of the winter? N Carolina easily. Though I suggest Western NC if you're use to mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Odd combination of choices, but why not?
I'll vote Delaware because it hardly gets any notice on here, and it seems nice enough from my limited experience with it. Close several very major northeast cities. Delaware isn't the coldest place out there by any means, but NC will be a bit warmer on average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If weather is a factor and a retiree with a preference for cities over towns, North Carolina is probably seen as more retiree friendly with better weather and has nicer city options than Delaware. In terms of a focus city I would suggest Greensboro which is large enough probably (290K population) with a vibrant downtown, has plenty of shopping/services, a sizable community of people your 22 year old's age or similar thanks to a couple of large universities (UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T) plus a decent very sizable medical center (Moses Cone) if health care options are a concern. The climate is pretty mild with snow/ice a rarity and four otherwise equal seasons with beautiful Autumns and Springs. The cost of living very importantly is also fairly low with very affordable real estate, whether you buy or rent.
Overall, Delaware has a slightly cooler climate than North Carolina. However, most cities and towns in North Carolina are much farther inland than equivalent population centers in Delaware and, therefore, are further away from the moderating influences of the Atlantic Ocean. Delaware, on the other hand, is situated on the Delmarva Peninsula, which is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay. As a result, most Delaware residents live no more than 40-50 miles away from a saltwater coastline that provides temperature relief in both the summer and winter seasons. Furthermore, Delaware is squarely located in the Atlantic Coastal Plain, which features very low land elevation. For example, Dover, Delaware is located at 30 feet above sea level, whereas Raleigh, North Carolina is located at 315 feet above sea level. Interestingly, coastal areas with low-rise elevation on the East Coast, such as Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland, for example, have similar climates to places that are located at much more southerly latitude, such as eastern North Carolina, for example. Essentially, I do not believe that someone should select North Carolina over Delaware simply due to the "better climate" of North Carolina.

As a state, Delaware seems to be better fiscally managed than North Carolina. Personally, I find this feat surprising because Delaware has lower taxes than North Carolina. At 0.56%, Delaware has the sixth-lowest effective real-estate tax rate in the nation or fifth-lowest, if you exclude the District of Columbia. Unfortunately, North Carolina ranks 21st in this category or 20th, if you exclude the District of Columbia, with an effective real-estate tax rate of 0.85% of as 2020. Also, Delaware does not levy a personal property tax on vehicles, unlike North Carolina. Therefore, Delaware residents pay an average of $0.00 in vehicle taxes on annual basis. In North Carolina, the effective vehicle tax rate is 1.23%, so the average resident can expect to pay approximately $308 per year on a $25,000 vehicle. Finally, and best of all, Delaware has no sales tax! And for what it's worth, public spaces in Delaware, such as beaches, parks, roads and shopping centers, for example, are in immaculate condition, especially in Sussex County. So, they're doing something right.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:01 PM

9,333 posts, read 9,189,560 times
Northern Delaware is close to Philadelphia and in the Northeastern corridor, that is a big plus. Delaware is a small, but very nice state. Beautiful beaches too.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:09 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,552,501 times
Delaware in general is much more accessible to big cities even if there aren't any large cities within the state.

North Carolina's large cities feel pretty suburban right outside of their cores, and in most of the state, you're a much further drive away from an area with a big city than you are in Delaware, which is geographically almost more like a big county. North Carolina has 100 counties and only about a dozen of them have anything that resembles a big city, and even those have that suburban feel.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:09 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Delaware in general is much more accessible to big cities even if there aren't any large cities within the state.

North Carolina's large cities feel pretty suburban right outside of their cores, and in most of the state, you're a much further drive away from an area with a big city than you are in Delaware, which is geographically almost more like a big county. North Carolina has 100 counties and only about a dozen of them have anything that resembles a big city, and even those have that suburban feel.
Wake County (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) each have a higher population than the entire state of Delaware.

What significant advantages does living an hour drive away from Philly have over living in a city like Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or, on the coast itself Wilmington? (NC's Wilmington; which I'm sorry, is pretty objectively a more desirable place than it's Delaware name-twin)

Unless OP is an Eagles, Flyers, or Phillies fan and really, really wants to attend a bunch of their home games each year; I'd say the fact that Delaware is in relative proximity to Philly is a fairly moot point based on the other criteria they've given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.