Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, it reflects why it won't be too surprising if concerts and sports events across the country may not be allowed to gather for the rest of the year. But I hope it will be decided it won't have to be that way come fall.
I would be shocked if they do, with fans that is? Sucks, but that’s the reality. Too much to risk coming back late summer/early fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 07:56 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I would be shocked if they do, with fans that is? Sucks, but that’s the reality. Too much to risk coming back late summer/early fall.
The Southern and the mountain west states are coming out of quarantine so I can see concerts but in a smaller scale.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:56 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I was surprised to recently read that 30% of covid patients are African-American. No bueno
Yea..I've had 2 relatives pass away and 4 catch it, 2 are in quarantine for exposure. They all lived in areas that are very dense and black and are epicenters of the virus.

Hyde Park, Boston (48% black 8kppsqm)-Most infected neighborhood in Boston

Dorchester Boston (44% black 20kppsqm)

Essex County, NJ (42% black 6kppsqm)-2nd most infected county in NJ

Crown Heights, Brooklyn (75% black, 100kppsqm)

Old 04-25-2020, 04:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Default Job loss during the Pandemic Recession by state

Job loss by state
01. California: 3.3 million job losses
02. Pennsylvania: 1.5 million job losses
03. New York: 1.4 million job losses
04. Texas: 1.3 million job losses
05. Michigan: 1.2 million job losses
06. Florida: 1.2 million job losses
07. Georgia: 1.1 million job losses

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/geor...mid-virus.html

Quote:
Hawaii, Kentucky, Michigan, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Nevada and Georgia have seen the most concentrated spikes in jobless claims since mid-March.

Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania are seeing surges in claims for unemployment benefits as workers and state health officials in those places struggle to strike a balance between economic well-being and safety from the coronavirus.

Hawaii, Kentucky, Michigan, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Nevada and Georgia have seen the most concentrated spikes in jobless claims since mid-March, when employers began to lay off droves of workers thanks to the Covid-19 outbreak.
Over a quarter of Rhode Island, Michigan, and Pennsylvania's workforce has filed for unemployment. I hope that this is fixed sooner than later with a V shaped or U shaped economic recovery. It would be great if all of these states avoid W, I, or L shaped recoveries. The latter two signify permanent damage and prolonged recovery periods.

Also, I apologize to people in most states as the article that I referenced above only covers a limited number of states. Here is another article, it's a few weeks old but this article has more information on all 50 states and the number of unemployment filings they had as of April 11. There's a helpful chart in this article.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/mo...es/5149325002/

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-25-2020 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 04:26 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Pennsylvania is allowing all construction (non-essential and essential) to recommence starting May 1. I am hoping that is the start of the states recovery.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Job loss by state
01. California: 3.3 million job losses
02. Pennsylvania: 1.5 million job losses
03. New York: 1.4 million job losses
04. Texas: 1.3 million job losses
05. Michigan: 1.2 million job losses
06. Florida: 1.2 million job losses
07. Georgia: 1.1 million job losses

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/geor...mid-virus.html

Over a quarter of Rhode Island, Michigan, and Pennsylvania's workforce has filed for unemployment. I hope that this is fixed sooner than later with a V shaped or U shaped economic recovery. It would be great if all of these states avoid W, I, or L shaped recoveries. The latter two signify permanent damage and prolonged recovery periods.

Also, I apologize to people in most states as the article that I referenced above only covers a limited number of states. It's a few weeks old but this article has more information on all 50 states and the number of unemployment filings they had as of April 11.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/mo...es/5149325002/
Pretty high numbers for PA, MI, and GA. The online system here in FL is not allowing people to register so I wonder what the actual numbers are?

Old 04-25-2020, 05:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
26.5 million jobs in the United States have been wiped out in the last five weeks. That puts the U.S. employment levels back to where it was in 2006, 14 years ago. All jobs created since the nadir of the Great Recession have been wiped out (22 million jobs), plus 4.5 million additional jobs on top of that for a total of 26.5 million.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...n-just-5-weeks

The real U.S. unemployment rate has soared to 20.6%.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/23/us-un...nefits-claims/

This pandemic will put states operating with a budget deficit and no rainy day fund in a bind as they will be completely dependent on federal money to get by and conduct damage control. There are no assurances by the feds either. States that do have a budget surplus and an ample rainy day fund will see their financial savings diminish and will experience a strain on their resources. I'd like to see this end as soon as possible. Anymore damage and it will set the entire 2020s decade back or at least the first half of it.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-25-2020 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 05:25 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea..I've had 2 relatives pass away and 4 catch it, 2 are in quarantine for exposure. They all lived in areas that are very dense and black and are epicenters of the virus.

Hyde Park, Boston (48% black 8kppsqm)-Most infected neighborhood in Boston

Dorchester Boston (44% black 20kppsqm)

Essex County, NJ (42% black 6kppsqm)-2nd most infected county in NJ

Crown Heights, Brooklyn (75% black, 100kppsqm)
Condelences for you & your family.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,309,230 times
I be curious why flags are not half staff nationwide these days I know some places ordered flags half staff but why not nationwide? Even though 50,000 plus people already died all over US. Much worse than 9/11. I remember back in 2016 when flags were half staff more
than it was full staff.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 1,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, it reflects why it won't be too surprising if concerts and sports events across the country may not be allowed to gather for the rest of the year. But I hope it will be decided it won't have to be that way come fall.
I think it'd be best, if things don't open too soon. It would just cause a second wave of infections. We shouldn't feel too save, just because the numbers drop when they do. Wondering when that "when" will be tho..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.