Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 AM

297 posts, read 177,725 times

Advertisements

Since I've seen that there are already a plethora of threads concerning the subject of white majority " ghetto " neighborhoods in big US cities , I thought Id kick one up concerning the subject of their Asian equivalents , since Asian Americans are also a group that seem to be underrepresented as far as the demographic makeup of such neighborhoods go ...

So I do think I've read here and there that two so called " Twomps " neighborhood of Oakland qualifies and I also think I've read that Minneapolis and St.Paul have mainly ( Hmong I think ) neighborhoods that are fairly poor , but all those articles were fairly dated which is why I'm curious as to the present day state of them , not to mention that I'm eager to read about such neighborhoods existing in unexpected places like Omaha ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
Since I've seen that there are already a plethora of threads concerning the subject of white majority " ghetto " neighborhoods in big US cities , I thought Id kick one up concerning the subject of their Asian equivalents , since Asian Americans are also a group that seem to be underrepresented as far as the demographic makeup of such neighborhoods go ...

So I do think I've read here and there that two so called " Twomps " neighborhood of Oakland qualifies and I also think I've read that Minneapolis and St.Paul have mainly ( Hmong I think ) neighborhoods that are fairly poor , but all those articles were fairly dated which is why I'm curious as to the present day state of them , not to mention that I'm eager to read about such neighborhoods existing in unexpected places like Omaha ...
St. Paul's North End neighborhood has several census tracts that have an Asian plurality and this wiki article describes it as one of the city's poorest neighborhoods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_End,_Saint_Paul

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:

Yes Oakland definitely.

The "Twomps" aka "Murder Dubs"(19th-29th Aves) is a collection of neighborhoods:
Highland Park
Highland Terrace
Meadow Brook
Oak Tree
Reservoir Hills
San Antonio

This^ area looks worse than it actually is imo and they are very much working class to middle class.

Next door Ivy Hill and Clinton also qualify.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Long Beach, California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDh5IdQH9S0&t=326s

Within Houston, this is probably more hood-adjacent than hood itself, but
Chinatown/Mahatma Ghandi District as well as the Vietnamese Town (don't know it's name) is in the lower middle class Sharpstown region and the neighboring Alief region is very heavily Asian. Their's also so mostly Asian apartment complexes located in various hoods around Houston.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:36 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Eastern Fields Corner, Dorchester , Boston. Vietnamese

Much of Lowell, MA is ghetto Cambodian- although this not a major city. It’s still has 110k people

Old 03-30-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Long Beach, California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDh5IdQH9S0&t=326s

Within Houston, this is probably more hood-adjacent than hood itself, but
Chinatown/Mahatma Ghandi District as well as the Vietnamese Town (don't know it's name) is in the lower middle class Sharpstown region and the neighboring Alief region is very heavily Asian. Their's also so mostly Asian apartment complexes located in various hoods around Houston.
This is kinda off topic , but how come there seem to be so many Asian Crip sets while Asian Blood sets seem to be non existent ?

Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the answers by the way guys !

Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
This is kinda off topic , but how come there seem to be so many Asian Crip sets while Asian Blood sets seem to be non existent ?
Crips are ore common out west and Asians are more so out west and that where a lot of Asian banging culture was created. Long Beach is also dominated by Crips

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-30-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 03-30-2020, 09:19 AM

Lowell MA

https://youtu.be/tWWPt5eUuMM

https://youtu.be/yHykx5yYIHU

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM

I realize that this might come across as silly , but could being able to do a decent freestyle rendition of a song I'll be linking below , endear me enough to a set of Asian Crips that they might let me do a documentary on them that would be exclusively distributed to Hungarian TV stations and thus be inadmissible for US law enforcement purposes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clIXn6-7xIk

I mean if I ever get around to visiting neighborhoods such as these then I might as well do a documentary regarding an easy interest topic , that hasn't really been covered in the media of my resident country , which is why I'm asking ...

Also would a fellow like me who has visibly Asian features without being fully Asian seem less out of place/less likely to be a target of hostility than ( say ) a person with no Asian heritage ? Or is that usually a non factor even in gang dominated inner city neighborhoods ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.