Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has the Most Unfair Rep?
Houston 61 36.75%
Denver 19 11.45%
Orlando 23 13.86%
Phoenix 63 37.95%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGeek View Post
Austin really underperforms in terms of museums. Of all of the top 50 MSAs in the country, Austin is easliy in the bottom 5 for museums.

DFW, San Antonio and especially Houston have the major museums in Texas. Houston has a neighborhood called 'The Museum District' filled with world class institutions.
Which is kind of surprising as Austin is very educated (not being a homer, look it up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I don't completely disagree. The city itself is a bit average, the skyrocketing COL is questionable and obviously Denver's PR team is doing wonders, considering most people think it's essentially what Colorado Springs is. And yeah, the appeal of Denver is mostly that it's a big city with close proximity to nature. But that's exactly what you'll find. From Downtown, you could be hiking at Red Rocks Park in 25 minutes, for example. Much less for a significant part of the metro. I also think it's untrue to say that there's not much to do in any city of 3 Million people. At any given time there's an event/festival of some kind going on (Well, not with Corona). Pretty much any type of institution/amenity a city it's size could need as well. I'd even say places like LoDo, Highlands, RiNo, Santa Fe Arts District (to name a few) could give one that "Denver experience" they're seeking.
Funny you brought up CS, that is exactly what people think Denver should look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM1 View Post
St Louis by far on this site.

St Louis is sooooooooooooooooooo misunderstood on here .

Every poll I see.. 0n here .. regarding St Louis , it get's SCHAT upon from a great great height. On this site . Like.
Underrated, maybe not unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Yes, and the 'pot culture' experience isn't all that fulfilling; we can have some edibles which is fun but leads back to...what should we do with our free time?! And my friend in Milwaukee (for example) can now go to Illinois for that, so it's not even exotic anymore.
Yeah, if the pot thing takes off Denver will likely lose some steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
It's pretty good for a state history museum, probably comparable to History Colorado Center in the quality of exhibits and events. The LBJ Library is good too. They're kind of in the special interest category and not necessarily destinations for regular family outings.
The art and science museums though are smaller than expected for a city of this size. The children's museum is pretty decent.
Yea those are all ok. I think UT had the Guttenburg Press at one point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:35 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which is kind of surprising as Austin is very educated (not being a homer, look it up).
Yes, it is so very shocking. How in the world can uneducated and backwater places like DFW, Houston, and San Antonio have so many museums and cultural amenities compared to an educated and enlightened place like Austin?

You mean to tell me there's more to the story than the % of those with a Bachelor's Degree? Could it be that those backwards places have a critical mass to support such amenities? Maybe there's historical reasons? Why do most Rust Belt cities have more cultural amenities than Austin? I'm sure as an educated person yourself you can think about that one critically .

According to CityLab, cities like Austin and Raleigh should have more museums than NYC: https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/08...ree-us/596509/

Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Yes, it is so very shocking. How in the world can uneducated and backwater places like DFW, Houston, and San Antonio have so many museums and cultural amenities compared to an educated and enlightened place like Austin?

You mean to tell me there's more to the story than the % of those with a Bachelor's Degree? Could it be that those backwards places have a critical mass to support such amenities? Maybe there's historical reasons? Why do most Rust Belt cities have more cultural amenities than Austin? I'm sure as an educated person yourself you can think about that one critically .

According to CityLab, cities like Austin and Raleigh should have more museums than NYC: https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/08...ree-us/596509/
Another Texan with a bone to pick with Austin. Glad to see you back. Been hiding on the Dallas board? I said nothing but facts. Austin is more educated than the major Texas cities. And it’s museums are subpar. Not sure what the problem is. Ah the problem is with Austin.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:

New Mexico has the most PhDs per capita than anywhere else. I suspect nuclear physicists and engineers. Just throwing that out there.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Another Texan with a bone to pick with Austin. Glad to see you back. Been hiding on the Dallas board? I said nothing but facts. Austin is more educated than the major Texas cities. And it’s museums are subpar. Not sure what the problem is. Ah the problem is with Austin.
Most museums, as well as the best ones usually, are going to be in bigger cities because it was wealthy patrons of the arts and culture who greatly subsidized such museums' construction and operating costs, and they were viewed as civic assets for everyone and not just certain classes of people. It has only been maybe 20-30 years that possession of a bachelor's degree, and therefore overall educational attainment rates, became the significant sociocultural/socioeconomic barometer that it is today and the best museums have been around for a lot longer. If anything, you'd think Austin would do better with museums just by being the capital of the country's second-largest state with additional revenue coming in from the energy industry.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:41 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
New Mexico has the most PhDs per capita than anywhere else. I suspect nuclear physicists and engineers. Just throwing that out there.
Can you find a link to this. I can't find one although I understand how the claim could be true.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:13 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
I've been enjoying my time away from the entire CD Board.

Like I said, it's completely shocking Austin doesn't have more museums. It's more educated than NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philly, etc. All of their museums should move to more enlightened Austin. They're obviously in cities filled with unsophisticated people. I'm sure Austin is more educated than Paris or Madrid. The Louvre and Prado should relocate there as well.

Even more perplexing are the number of major companies located in less educated cities like NYC, Chicago, Dallas, etc. than a sophisticated, educated city like Austin. They require a Bachelor's Degree at minimum, so why not pack up and head to Austin? They're obviously wasting their time and resources in untalented wastelands like Dallas.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:14 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
I think Houston and Denver are both fine. Better than average.

Mot unfairly treated is St. Louis.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most museums, as well as the best ones usually, are going to be in bigger cities because it was wealthy patrons of the arts and culture who greatly subsidized such museums' construction and operating costs, and they were viewed as civic assets for everyone and not just certain classes of people. It has only been maybe 20-30 years that possession of a bachelor's degree, and therefore overall educational attainment rates, became the significant sociocultural/socioeconomic barometer that it is today and the best museums have been around for a lot longer. If anything, you'd think Austin would do better with museums just by being the capital of the country's second-largest state with additional revenue coming in from the energy industry.
Haven’t I said that my last 5 posts in this thread? I’m not complimenting Austin here.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I've been enjoying my time away from the entire CD Board.

Like I said, it's completely shocking Austin doesn't have more museums. It's more educated than NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philly, etc. All of their museums should move to more enlightened Austin. They're obviously in cities filled with unsophisticated people. I'm sure Austin is more educated than Paris or Madrid. The Louvre and Prado should relocate there as well.

Even more perplexing are the number of major companies located in less educated cities like NYC, Chicago, Dallas, etc. than a sophisticated, educated city like Austin. They require a Bachelor's Degree at minimum, so why not pack up and head to Austin? They're obviously wasting their time and resources in untalented wastelands like Dallas.
Again not sure why you have a chip on your shoulder. Like you, I’ve been poking fun at Austin. But some of those areas literally have over 10x the population of Austin. Austin is way out of its tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.