Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,976,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I never said you "get pounded", did I? All I said was that you guys average 11" of snow a year, which is a decent amount. Sure its not Minneapolis levels, but its still a pretty decent amount of snow. I remember a few years back when ABQ got a few snowstorms that totalled over 20" inches in a week?
those 20" snowfalls we had was record setting snow, the most since records were kept, that was the most snow I've seen in my whole life at one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 24,035 times
Kentucky, Tenn., Southern In. and Southern Ohio are all pretty similar in climate. Pretty mild winters, usually snows but not too much. Some years it doesn't snow at all. Can get cold, but bearable, not like some northern states. However, summers are VERY humid! It also rains quite a bit during the spring. Fall and spring are very nice, and very pretty, especially in KY and TN!!! Nice colors and in KY a lot of state parks that are beautiful with a lot of lakes!!! The down part of KY, IN and TN is that there is not a great deal of culture except in the larger cities. The smaller areas are VERY different than the cities! However, that may be the case in most states, but these states are more rural than most.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 22,028 times
Problem with California is that the cost of living is too high. That's why I left California in the first place. Can't be on disability and expect to live decently in California.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,183,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
My husband and I are wanting to relocate our family in the near future and we're having a hard time figuring out where. We want to get out of Nebraska where it's humid in the summers and gets plenty of snow and cold weather in the winters. We are really looking for some place that has mild winters, even colder but not 32 all the time, more like 50's or so, so the kids can play. And the summers, we don't mind some hot weather, just not a lot of humidity. We'll take some humidity over cold weather in winter any day though. It needs to be a family friendly place with decent school systems. I know I'm not the only one out there in the big USA that is looking or has looked for some place like this. Can anyone suggest any states and/or cities to live in? I grew up in Southern California and it's just so darn expensive out there so we're trying to stay away from that type.

Thanks in advance!

Rebecca
Good luck!

Southern California is the only region of the US that fits this temperature criteria (Mediterranean[spelled correctly?] climate).

What you need to do is find a state that 'minimizes' this impact, and believe it or not the state of Nebraska has relatively mild winters (compared to many) and mild (sometimes dry, sometimes a bit humid) summers compared to many.

If you head south, you have a heavier heat and humidity combo during the spring, summer and fall but have a bit warmer winter.

Basically it's a pick your poison situation here.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM

38 posts, read 85,805 times
western washington, mild winter definately most of us dont even own winter jackets but we are close enough to mountain s if we DO want to enjoy the snow:-) mild summers, low humidity. and as far as heat in general we are dying when we reach 90s LOL

Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,917,510 times
Two places I've lived that have relatively mild winters and low humidity are Grand Junction, Colorado - western slope, high desert - and Lubbock, TX -- a better city than Amarillo and also milder winters than Amarillo (a town someone had mentioned earlier), with quite low humidity and often refreshingly cool nights and early mornings even in the summer. However, I don't personally think either of these cities is a terribly desireable place for most people to live. Aren't there any cities in California that would qualify? Anyone?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM

177 posts, read 430,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Saint George, Utah
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Flagstaff????? Are you kidding Me????
I own a cabin in munds Park, just south of flagtsaff, and winters arent anywhere near mild. Last years snow totaled 211 inches, at one point we had 6 feet of snow on the ground. we average 13.4 feet a year. Flagstaffs record low is -30. The average low is about 10. The average high is around 30, but on sunny days can get up to about 40.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM

177 posts, read 430,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
Ya but NY is SOOO expensive! And I know about Arizona and NM, beautiful but very hot.
Arizona? Sure the deserts are hot. but the mountains can get very cold. Tucson gets snow during the winter, as does Northern Outskirts of Phoenix. Most of Northern Arizona is fairly cool in winter. Flagstaff is 80 in summer, but ive seen -15. Phoenix has been 15 before. Arizonas coldest was -40 at Hawley Lake in the white mountains.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 20,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
What's so bad about humidity?

It moisturizes your skin, eyes, sinuses, throat, etc...

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time with low humidity climates: you have to constantly lather on the lotion (which ultimately never solves the problem), and your skin tends to over-produce oil to compensate for the dryness... yuck. I'd rather deal with a little humidity.
You obviously don't have Fibromyalgia. Am retiring to Sedona, AZ, because after 2 visits in the summer, I didn't mind the upper 90's. It was dry and at least 10 degrees cooler in the shade, 2 steps away. In the 2 weeks we were there this summer, we had 1 hot and kind of humid day. The locals said it hadn't happened like that in 80 years. Coming from Virginia, where it's hot and humid or cold and humid or just humid with oncoming precip of some kind or other - I'll take Sedona's heat and leave you the humidity.
I looked and felt so much better that I almost didn't come home.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times
Depends on what the OP considers "mild" winters. Most of the West Coast has relatively mild winters. Seattle is at 47N latitude; no other major American city is that far north. But Seattle has a much milder winter than Chicago, New York, Washington DC, etc. But it is quite rainy. Naturally, winter weather becomes warmer as one travels south and Los Angeles has a warmer winter than any major city outside Florida & Hawaii.

Low humidity is common throughout the Western states but much of the area has very hot summer temps except right on the immediately coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.