Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM

636 posts, read 611,087 times

Advertisements

A program like UNC's is a national brand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 09:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
^true, but not international like the nba

Old 04-23-2020, 09:22 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Maybe...I’m on the fence with this one and/or might put UNC just a whisker below the following: USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, Alabama, Penn State and—dare I say—Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
A program like UNC's is a national brand...

Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Maybe...I’m on the fence with this one and/or might put UNC just a whisker below the following: USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, Alabama, Penn State and—dare I say—Duke.
Check the # of national titles and UNC is a good head and shoulder above most of those teams and a "whisker" above Duke.

Only UCLA and Kentucky have more titles.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:37 AM

636 posts, read 611,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Check the # of national titles and UNC is a good head and shoulder above most of those teams and a "whisker" above Duke.

Only UCLA and Indiana have more titles.
Agreed. Wooden's run was almost 50 years ago now so they may have even surpassed UCLA.

I could see Duke being a little bigger though. They always have well known "hateable" players...and let's be honest, there are people out there that get off on them having white players as well.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:42 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Agreed. Wooden's run was almost 50 years ago now so they may have even surpassed UCLA.

I could see Duke being a little bigger though. They always have well known "hateable" players...and let's be honest, there are people out there that get off on them having white players as well.
The Duke/UNC rivalry is largely considered the most significant rivalry in college sports and one of the most significant in US sports in general; mostly based on the fact that they are so close geographically and on play-level and brand recognition.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I wasn’t just talking about basketball, but UNC is right up there (behind a few others I named and ahead of others named).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/champs...ok/Overall.pdf

But ask someone in CA, AZ, WA, IL, FL or NY which comes to mind first, Notre Dame or Alabama or Michigan or UNC...not sure UNC comes to mind first, regardless of title count. How many knew Stanford has the most Division 1 titles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Only UCLA and Kentucky have more titles.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-23-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 10:03 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Hijacking the thread, people. It's not about individual teams, and how they're rated.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Would not pick Tarkenton for Minnesota, others more legendary (in no particular order) include...

Kirby Puckett
Harmon Killebrew
Joe Mauer
Calvin Griffith
Tom Kelly
Dave Winfield
Bill Musselman
Kevin McHale
Flip Saunders
Neal Broten
Herb Brooks
John Mayasich
Willard Ikola
Lou Nanne
Alan Page
Bud Grant
Gary Cuozzo
Patrick “Ace” Ntsoelengo
Tino Lettieri
Patty Berg
Tom Lehman

For Wisconsin, the obvious pick would be Dick Trickle

Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I think many sports fans know that he's from Wisconsin, especially college sports fans.

I'm gonna have to differ from your opinion on an athlete shouldn't be associated from the state they were from though. Michael Jordan is just as much associated with North Carolina as Illinois. Magic Johnson is still very popular in Michigan and this gets mentioned during the tourney when he roots for MSU. Barry Sanders and Kansas. Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench with Oklahoma. Roberto Clemente and Puerto Rico. Brett Farve and Mississippi. The list goes on with athletes who are associated with were they grew up.
Define many? No one except Wisconsin residents and JJ Watt fans would know he’s from there. I don’t even remember where he went to school, I had to look it up? Maybe some fans of the Big Ten remember him playing at Wisconsin over a decade ago, but most everyone else won’t.

Sorry, but Michael Jordan isn’t equally associated with UNC, not even remotely. But this has been beaten to death lately. Ditto for Magic and Michigan. Him rooting for MSU in the tournament means zero to everyone besides fans of that program. I know many Michigan natives (I went to school there) that don’t like him because of the Piston/Laker rivalry. He’s a LA Laker to everyone around the world.

I knew Mickey Mantle was from Oklahoma from reading his autobiography as a kid in the 80’s, but do you think anyone my age or younger knows this? Barry Sanders is a Detroit Lion. And while many may know Brett Favre is from the south, I doubt most know its Mississippi except for his fans. The further you move away from someone’s playing career the more where they went to school is forgotten. In this case his home state.

You have something with Roberto Clemente though. Despite being a HOFer in Pittsburgh, he’s associated with Puerto Rico more so than most athletes are with any city, state, territory, country, etc. Especially considering the circumstances around his death. It’s safe to say he’s more than a sports legend there, and all of Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.