Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 07:26 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times

Advertisements

In Vermont, I've noticed:

-Housing prices generally reflect access to jobs, or to ski/vacation areas.

-Above average cost of living, some things are very expensive

-Extremely low crime rates

-Education is valued

-Much lower prevalence of religion, especially organized religion

-Majority seem onboard with liberal social and environmental concerns. Some examples:
* Statewide ban on items that can be recycled going in trash
* Statewide ban on food scraps in trash going into effect soon - must be composted
* Statewide ban on single use plastic bags going into effect soon
* Broad acceptance of LGBTQ
* Billboards and roadside advertising banned
* Much expanded social safety net programs
* Statewide distribution of property taxes

OTOH, there's very little gun control here. When my father passed, he had an old revolver with the serial number scratched off. I took it to the local police station and asked what I should do with it, and the police chief told me that, "well, you could give it to someone."

This is a generalization, but many here seem less materialistic, not nearly as much keeping up with the Jones going on. Lots of people doing home vegetable gardening, hunting for sustenance, tapping maple trees, keeping chickens. Lots of value on keeping old things going - old homes are typically more valuable than new ones, large secondhand market (hard to find an inexpensive bicycle, everyone wants a used bike, they're usually more than new bikes).

Generally neighbors are warm and (genuinely) friendly. Overall culture is pretty introverted. Lots of "you do you" attitude, very live and let live.

Politically, even though it's majority democrat, there's a surprising mix of democrat, republican and independents, and they tend to work very well together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:19 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Northern New England being: Maine; Vermont; New Hampshire; South Shore/Boston
Coastal South being: Virginia; North Carolina; South Carolina Don't forget Savannah and Sea Island, GA

With these two regions of the US is there a noticeable difference in way of life and culture? They're two completely different places. I absolutely love Camden, Maine, but the weather's so tough that far north in winter. I don't care for coastal NC as it's so flat and far away from other cities. But Myrtle Beach, SC has more golf courses than anywhere in the world. And many adore the Charleston, SC area. Others swear by Beaufort, SC as a great, gentile place to live. Then you have Savannah, GA. Anytime you get in the premier southern cities, you'll find a nicer, more gentile standard of living.

Where is housing and rents less in demand? When looking for the really nice communities, they will always be high demand in housing. That doesn't mean you cannot find great towns within 20 miles, however.

Are Primary and Secondary schools comparable? I know nothing about schools in these areas.

Is crime rates comparable? You'd have to research this. No idea.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Northern New England being: Maine; Vermont; New Hampshire; South Shore/Boston
Coastal South being: Virginia; North Carolina; South Carolina Don't forget Savannah and Sea Island, GA

With these two regions of the US is there a noticeable difference in way of life and culture? They're two completely different places. I absolutely love Camden, Maine, but the weather's so tough that far north in winter. I don't care for coastal NC as it's so flat and far away from other cities. But Myrtle Beach, SC has more golf courses than anywhere in the world. And many adore the Charleston, SC area. Others swear by Beaufort, SC as a great, gentile place to live. Then you have Savannah, GA. Anytime you get in the premier southern cities, you'll find a nicer, more gentile standard of living.

Where is housing and rents less in demand? When looking for the really nice communities, they will always be high demand in housing. That doesn't mean you cannot find great towns within 20 miles, however.

Are Primary and Secondary schools comparable? I know nothing about schools in these areas.

Is crime rates comparable? You'd have to research this. No idea.
You can't include Boston, and the South Shore, as part of northern New England.

On another note, I do take pride in my home state of Vermont. Great people, moderate-progressive attitudes, and some of the best scenery in the continental US...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.