Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 09:06 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston City is 28 % foreign born Chicago city is 20% foreign born
And over 227 square miles (the size of Chicago), Boston and the surrounding towns are still 28% foreign-born as a unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
And over 227 square miles (the size of Chicago), Boston and the surrounding towns are still 28% foreign-born as a unit.
Don't know how you got that number so fast but yea...many places in MA and Boston are have a much higher Foreign Born population than Boston. So i'm not surprised.

Only 12% of all CHicagoans are foreigners not from Mexico( the USA's backyard). Compared to 27% of Bostonians....Idk how 'wordly' that really is

Id guess less than 10% of Chicagoans were born some place other than the US Mexico or China.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 AM

Chicago is 91%+ Black American ADOS, White American, Chinese American and Mexican American. The most common ethnic groups in the US.

So you're pretty much dealing with the same cultures and getting the same cultural perspectives as 95% of America. The basic groups that make up the city aren't all that different from St. Louis, Kansas City, or Cleveland .

In Boston those groups are much less prominent. You're around a more unique mix of cultures that gives you a different perspective and a more worldly perspective than most cities. That's why it feels" so international as multiple posters have said.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-01-2020 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-01-2020, 11:41 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
One big advantage Boston has over Chicago is its proximity to Europe, the East Coast Metropolises and the Carribean. Its location makes groups like Cape Verdeans, Portuguese, Greek, Dominicans, Brazilians, Lebanese, Haitians and Jamaicans prominent over Mexicans and Chinese Americans. Being close to NYC and DC help too, because many migrate up and around the East Coast for jobs, school or family.. which disperses different groups of people throughout the region. Boston's location is a super advantage over Chicago's.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
One big advantage Boston has over Chicago is its proximity to Europe, the East Coast Metropolises and the Carribean. Its location makes groups like Cape Verdeans, Portuguese, Greek, Dominicans, Brazilians, Lebanese, Haitians and Jamaicans prominent over Mexicans and Chinese Americans. Being close to NYC and DC help too, because many migrate up and around the East Coast for jobs, school or family.. which disperses different groups of people throughout the region. Boston's location is a super advantage over Chicago's.
This is surprisingly common. Even as someone who was raised in it. Many of my friends and classmates growing up had spent some time or summer living in NYC or DC. Tons of people bonn in NYC DC Philly and Boston have two home cities. I know a woman who has her whole life between Providence (proper) Boston(proper) NYC with various family members. This is also on every social class form the poorest fo the poor to the ultra-wealthy. And yea the Caribbean and European connection is huge.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:15 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is surprisingly common. Even as someone who was raised in it. Many of my friends and classmates growing up had spent some time or summer living in NYC or DC. Tons of people bonn in NYC DC Philly and Boston have two home cities. I know a woman who has her whole life between Providence (proper) Boston(proper) NYC with various family members. This is also on every social class form the poorest fo the poor to the ultra-wealthy. And yea the Caribbean and European connection is huge.
Many, many people in Chicago have homes in Wisconsin and Michigan, as well. Not sure what your point on that, is. The poorest stay in the city, for the most part. The rest, go away to their summer homes on summer week-ends. So, Southies have homes in two cities?

Old 05-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Many, many people in Chicago have homes in Wisconsin and Michigan, as well. Not sure what your point on that, is. The poorest stay in the city, for the most part. The rest, go away to their summer homes on summer week-ends. So, Southies have homes in two cities?
Southies? South Boston is one place.

my point is people are moving between very diverse and world places with regularity in Boston. They’re not moving between Wisconsin and Michigan...And when I mean two homes I mean people might live have their life in Philly and then half their life in Boston.l as was the case for one of my students in Boston, he was moving after 8th grade to stay with his father in Philadelphia coming back to Boston for the summer. Or a mentor I had in HS who was a Philly native but a Boston community activist and reverend. Two hometowns

Old 05-01-2020, 12:26 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
NYC and Boston (As well as DC and Philly) are huge pots of diversity. Chicago doesnt have many nearby with that level of diversity that NYC, DC and Philly have to Boston.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:31 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
NYC and Boston (As well as DC and Philly) are huge pots of diversity. Chicago doesnt have many nearby with that level of diversity that NYC, DC and Philly have to Boston.
I wouldn't call those cities nearby....the closest isn't within 200 miles. But, what's your point? NY diversity counts for Boston? DC diversity counts for Boston, even though it's over 400 miles away? These two cities aren't a part of the thread. Philadelphia is, but it's a city that stands alone, just as all of these do. You don't get to tag team with other cities, to be sure you come out on top.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call those cities nearby....the closest isn't within 200 miles. But, what's your point? NY diversity counts for Boston? DC diversity counts for Boston, even though it's over 400 miles away? These two cities aren't a part of the thread. Philadelphia is, but it's a city that stands alone, just as all of these do. You don't get to tag team with other cities, to be sure you come out on top.
Doesn't really matter. New Haven, Hartford, Providence, Worcester, Springfield, Bridgeport, Stamford are all ultra diverse and in between Boston and NYC and I think all have a higher % of foreign born than Chicago. With greater geographic diversity of immigrants. All are at least 65% minority except Stamford and Worcester.

That's 1 metro of 1.5 million+ (Providence)
1 of 1 million + Hartford
2 of nearly 1 million (bridgeport and New have 950k and 850k)
2 of over 500k (Springfield and Worcester).

It gets lost in the sauce because of the stature of NYC and Boston but the Hartford MSA is bigger than Buffalos, the Providence MSA is bigger than New Orleans' and these directly abut Boston's MSA and CSA. Its pretty much an unbroken path of urbanity from Boston to NYC with the exception of northeast CT (still in a MSA though)

Coming from Boston you pass through all of that in 3.5 hours on your way to the Bronx...

I honestly think Chicago is more known and impactful economically internationally based off size but Boston probably would feel more international-because it is. But that's not all that makes a place worldly really...

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-01-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.