Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah it varies. If I had to guess though, I would guess that the former is more common.
I disagree with that just because the plurality of suburban white kids and kids of all races have Jordan's and are into hip-hop. Travis and Don Tolliver define white suburban Houston more than any other two artists, same with Football and Basketball entertainment wise.

A Hispanic kid could still be fully in suburban white culture and wear Jordan's and listen to Hip Hop. Your going to need to be a lot deeper than that imho if your arguing that Hispanics lean more into Black culture than White culture. I don't disagree with that statement but I don't think it's a valid argument to count Jordan's and Hip Hop, the "whitest" suburban kid you'll ever meet if they were anything from "normal" to "popular" in HS almost definitely listens to Hip Hop since that's mainstream music in suburban High Schools at least in Texas.

Jordan's especially is renown in Hypebeast culture which is an extremely suburban and "white" subculture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 07:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I disagree with that just because the plurality of suburban white kids and kids of all races have Jordan's and are into hip-hop. Travis and Don Tolliver define white suburban Houston more than any other two artists, same with Football and Basketball entertainment wise.

A Hispanic kid could still be fully in suburban white culture and wear Jordan's and listen to Hip Hop. Your going to need to be a lot deeper than that imho if your arguing that Hispanics lean more into Black culture than White culture. I don't disagree with that statement but I don't think it's a valid argument to count Jordan's and Hip Hop, the "whitest" suburban kid you'll ever meet if they were anything from "normal" to "popular" in HS almost definitely listens to Hip Hop since that's mainstream music in suburban High Schools at least in Texas.

Jordan's especially is renown in Hypebeast culture which is an extremely suburban and "white" subculture.
You're right that hip hop alone is not enough. However, I don't know any white people who exclusively listen to hip hop. Most of us listen to rock and pop too even if we follow hip hop.

The only white kids I've known to wear lots of Jordans are wangsters. Meanwhile I see Hispanics wearing Jordans all the time, even females. That's a pretty big difference because I can count the number of times I've seen white girls wearing Jordans on one hand. I disagree about hypebeast culture being white, if anything it's more Asian. Like the Fung Bros for instance. The SoHo hypebeast crowd I've seen is multiracial but majority nonwhite.

The haircuts are a pretty big thing too. White guys rarely get lineups unless they're like Paul Wall, meanwhile that is the norm for Hispanics. You go into any Hispanic barbershop, and you're going to see a bunch of dudes getting AA inspired haircuts. This used to be more of a Puerto Rican/Dominican think but in recentish years it has spread to Mexicans. It's called the "Edgar" cut.

I find that it's way more likely for Hispanics to use AAVE than whites. Yes white kids will use some slang they heard in hip hop (thot for instance), but I rarely come across white people who speak full blown AAVE. It would not even be socially acceptable for a white person to do that.

And younger Hispanic women seem to be way more into black guys than white guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.