Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 05:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
So you're telling me you've had enough interactions with Minnesotans to hear several of these supposed people randomly use the term "The Mini Apple" in general conversation, several times? Is that so? Okay.

I've lived in Minnesota and the Twin Cities metro my entire life, and I've never once heard anyone use that term. Because no one actually does.
Lived in the Twin Cities 20+ years. Confirmed that people DO call it the "Mini-Apple". It's not a top nickname, but one does hear it from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 03:46 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Taft, CA - This ain't f**king Texas
Austin - blueberry in tomato soup.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:55 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
So you're telling me you've had enough interactions with Minnesotans to hear several of these supposed people randomly use the term "The Mini Apple" in general conversation, several times? Is that so? Okay.

I've lived in Minnesota and the Twin Cities metro my entire life, and I've never once heard anyone use that term. Because no one actually does.
I knew this guy from Iowa who loved Minneapolis. Called it the NYC of the midwest.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
the first President Bush referred to Portland as Little Beirut because of the violent protesters.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:22 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:

People I know there, have, and they've posted pictures on FB of different Mini Apple t-shirts, mugs. signs, etc., kind of mocking the term. It may not be a thing in your circles, but I've seen it referenced several times, while in the cities.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
I've started referring to Greenville SC as South Asheville given there seem to be a good number of people who like talking about Asheville on the Greenville forum and view Greenville's location over 1 hour from Asheville as a pro.

There also seems to be a lot of people who originally were looking at moving to Asheville but moved to Greenville b/c they liked the downtown better.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:31 PM

613 posts, read 327,522 times
In the early 2000s Shaquille O'Neal called Sacramento a "Cow Town". Keep in mind he was a Laker back then and they had the well known rivalry with the Kings.

DC being described as a city of "Northern Charm and Southern Efficiency".

Old 05-05-2020, 09:28 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,047 times
I went to Sydney, Australia once to conduct a training and my trainees started teasing me because I was from Boston.

"We've seen the movies. You guys are all in Irish gangs"

Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Fayetteville NC, aka "Fayettenam" because of Fort Bragg.

Greensboro, aka "Greensboring", although I think the city for its size is fine as is. I get it though.

Memphis and Jacksonville I've seen referred to as "The biggest city in Mississippi" and "The biggest city in South Georgia" respectively. Not a lot of love among their own states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
In the early 2000s Shaquille O'Neal called Sacramento a "Cow Town". Keep in mind he was a Laker back then and they had the well known rivalry with the Kings.

DC being described as a city of "Northern Charm and Southern Efficiency".
Wasn't that Phil Jackson who said that about Sacramento? Shaq I think was more known for his "Queens" and "L.A. is the real capital of California" comments.

Interestingly enough Shaq later became a minority investor in the Kings, and said he wanted to re-name the town "Shaq-ramento". Clever

Old 05-05-2020, 10:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Jim Rome used to use
Fat Antonio (after San Antonio got highlighted in the news for it's obesity problem)
Not a great pun, but it's kind of memorable.

Doesn't Phil Jackson live in a Montana ranch? Kind of rich of him to say that about Sacramento, even 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.