Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:20 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,766,208 times

Advertisements

For similar neighborhoods I’d say NY metro is generally cheaper, with a possible exception of the super expensive Manhattan neighborhoods like Billionare’s Row. I don’t think the 50 million -100 million dollar (or more) homes and condos are as common in Cali, though they do exist there.

OTOH, property taxes on even modest middle class homes in the region can be very high, as there is no equivalent of a Prop 13 around here. Maybe that ultimately makes total housing costs a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 03:43 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The only houses you’re getting for under $200K in LA County will be beat up or dated in suspect neighborhoods in places like Lancaster/Palmdale over an hour from the city with zero traffic. If you’re lucky you may find a small cabin in mountains where there’s snow to deal with, and if you’re really lucky you might find a tear down on a tiny lot in a dangerous area of the city.

I have in-laws all throughout the NYC metro outside of the city limits in both NY and CT and houses are much cheaper there for comparable neighborhoods. It’s not even fair the difference in price? Property taxes on the other hand are much more out there.
Yea, 200k in LA, SF, SEattle would be unlivable to a lot of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
keep in mind that 45 miles in the Bos-Wash corridor is like 150 miles on the west coast...
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Downtown Newark, yes. And even then the arena still hasn't made a big impact.

Housing isn't the only factor. Food, utilities, transportation, your wages, they all matter. If a house in Bridgewater cost under 200K but you have to deal with tolls, cost of an NJT rail pass, groceries, utilities, wage tax in Newark if you work there, and property taxes, are you really coming out ahead?

Also you can get a 2BR house in LA county for under 200K. Unlike Central Jersey, these aren't mobile homes. https://www.zillow.com/homes/Los-Angeles-County,-CA_rb/
for sure.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
keep in mind that 45 miles in the Bos-Wash corridor is like 150 miles on the west coast...
I have lived in both, but don't know what this means.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I have lived in both, but don't know what this means.
Meaning that you run through many more tightly packed towns with more lights etc in 45 miles on the east coast than out west

Old 05-02-2020, 05:30 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Greater NYC is cheaper than Greater Boston. I can comfortably live in CNJ, but some dumpy town an hour from Boston wants to charge me double for half the quality.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:05 PM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Greater NYC is cheaper than Greater Boston. I can comfortably live in CNJ, but some dumpy town an hour from Boston wants to charge me double for half the quality.
Agree, Greater bay area is more expensive than greater Boston, which is similar to Greater LA. All three greater area are more expensive than greater NYC metro area. Long Island are expensive, but NJ, CT, some Westchester County NY area are quite reasonably priced.

Last edited by jxzz; 05-02-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 PM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Meaning that you run through many more tightly packed towns with more lights etc in 45 miles on the east coast than out west
Don't agree with that. I would argue reverse way, 100 miles in East coast, or specifically in greater
NYC metro area is equivalent of 50 miles in greater LA or bay area.

I have traveled to CA driving up and own from San Francisco to LA and found that commuting pattern in CA is more of car society. Car driving is terribly short on distance when traffic jams are the norm in Greater NYC or Greater Boston. For example, you can ride on Metro North train and live in New Haven county of CT and work in Manhattan, 70 miles away for a day job cross state. Not saying there are many who do this, still too far away on train, but the same distance driving is not livable. Car driving is very taxing on body and stressful, not possible to work on cars that far away for 9/5 day jobs.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Don't agree with that. I would argue reverse way, 100 miles in East coast, or specifically in greater
NYC metro area is equivalent of 50 miles in greater LA or bay area.

I have traveled to CA driving up and own from San Francisco to LA and found that commuting pattern in CA is more of car society. Car driving is terribly short on distance when traffic jams are the norm in Greater NYC or Greater Boston. For example, you can ride on Metro North train and live in New Haven county of CT and work in Manhattan, 70 miles away for a day job cross state. Not saying there are many who do this, still too far away on train, but the same distance driving is not livable. Car driving is very taxing on body and stressful, not possible to work on cars that far away for 9/5 day jobs.
You missed my point of comparison. It is because NYC and Boston are more tightly packed, that the ordeal of having to commute in from 45 miles is as drudging as if you tried to commute into Downtown LA from say Barstow every day

Old 05-02-2020, 06:20 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Not sure if it counts as part of metro nyc but Piscataway has some nice looking places for under 400. That’s hard to find even in Seattle

Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
You missed my point of comparison. It is because NYC and Boston are more tightly packed, that the ordeal of having to commute in from 45 miles is as drudging as if you tried to commute into Downtown LA from say Barstow every day
But NYC and Boston aren't more tightly packed. Metro LA and SF are more tightly packed.

And you say DTLA, but DTLA is at the eastern end of the busy part of the metro. Commuting to and from Santa Monica to points East is as hard or harder than anywhere in the BosWash corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.