Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 06:49 PM

89 posts, read 185,199 times

Advertisements

This is one of those daffy discussions. There is no arguing about taste.

We recently looked at a house in Albuquerque Around $420k. Perched high over the Rio Grande, lovely, high-square-footage, with jaw-dropping views of the river and Sandia mountain. We stepped out of the car and were blasted by the noise from the Interstate bridge. To us, a big no as a place to live, even if it were free. But somebody else might not mind.

As MtnSurfer observed, these choices are what real estate is all about. Choosing a home is different from choosing a house. If all we were comparing is structures, we could have a computer algorithm select for us.

A few months ago, we saw this gorgeous Victorian on the web in Woodland. Good size, well-preserved, beautiful yard, for about $495k.

When we did a drive-by, we pulled up to the curb and parked, and across the street was a huge cargo transfer station with about 30 semi-trucks pulling in and out. Amazingly, neither Zillow not Redfin had photos of what was directly across the street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 06:55 PM

89 posts, read 185,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think I found Gaylord's forever home. My brother-in-law used to live on Gaylord St.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M17334-39672

Derek
Well, very nice, but I'd buy this one instead (still on the market):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...81972854_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...81972854_zpid/

Way cheaper and really great!

Old 05-03-2020, 10:49 PM

8,176 posts, read 16,573,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
This is one of those daffy discussions. There is no arguing about taste.

We recently looked at a house in Albuquerque Around $420k. Perched high over the Rio Grande, lovely, high-square-footage, with jaw-dropping views of the river and Sandia mountain. We stepped out of the car and were blasted by the noise from the Interstate bridge. To us, a big no as a place to live, even if it were free. But somebody else might not mind.

As MtnSurfer observed, these choices are what real estate is all about. Choosing a home is different from choosing a house. If all we were comparing is structures, we could have a computer algorithm select for us.

A few months ago, we saw this gorgeous Victorian on the web in Woodland. Good size, well-preserved, beautiful yard, for about $495k.

When we did a drive-by, we pulled up to the curb and parked, and across the street was a huge cargo transfer station with about 30 semi-trucks pulling in and out. Amazingly, neither Zillow not Redfin had photos of what was directly across the street...
Yes, as they say beauty is the eye of the beholder. Your Albuquerque example is a great illustration of that.

I have a coworker who lives in mansion in Ohio and he's perfectly happy there with his wife and 9 children! Other coworkers who work remotely live in CO, ID, FL, NM, TX, CA and NY. They all seem to have found their little piece of paradise or at least somewhere that works best for their families. Who can argue with that if they like it? And if its cheaper than the west coast, then that's great!

That's a funny comment on the computer algorithm selecting the perfect house. Yes, just plug in the size, age, cost, bedroom count, lot size along with other preferences and out pops the best deal in the country.

Derek

Old 05-04-2020, 01:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,505,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
under 400k, in a top 50 metro:

...."https://www.redfin.com/GA/Alpharetta....

Are you kidding? (I sure hope so...)
Wrong Forum.
ALL real estate is local. (Always has been, always will be)

I (WA based) have family in GA. I haven't seen them in decades, nor do I intend to ever go there.

BTW, I found a nice condition 24,000sf public school on 2.2 acres For Sale in a GREAT Kansas prairie town. $130k. The gymnasium floor was worth more than that for scrap value. Then add the theater, bleachers, commercial kitchen, auto and welding shop (with overhead cranes). And underground tornado shelter capable of housing the entire community .

That Georgia home would look very out of place in WA.

Wrong Forum.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:01 AM

220 posts, read 151,249 times
lol

Old 05-05-2020, 04:33 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,370,423 times
You guys crack me up lol. Wrong forum

Old 05-05-2020, 07:50 PM

206 posts, read 184,212 times
There's a reason the mantra is location location location, and not simply house house house.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:52 PM

8,176 posts, read 16,573,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
There's a reason the mantra is location location location, and not simply house house house.
Yep, it goes back to the game of Monopoly and Park Place. Real Estate 101 was ingrained into our brains even while still kids. Putting a house or hotel (same structures) on that side of the board was big $$$.

Derek

Old 05-05-2020, 09:43 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,445,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Are you kidding? (I sure hope so...)
Wrong Forum.
ALL real estate is local. (Always has been, always will be)

I (WA based) have family in GA. I haven't seen them in decades, nor do I intend to ever go there.

BTW, I found a nice condition 24,000sf public school on 2.2 acres For Sale in a GREAT Kansas prairie town. $130k. The gymnasium floor was worth more than that for scrap value. Then add the theater, bleachers, commercial kitchen, auto and welding shop (with overhead cranes). And underground tornado shelter capable of housing the entire community .

That Georgia home would look very out of place in WA.

Wrong Forum.
Stealth: I did a cursory search for abandoned school buildings for sale. I hit upon a Missouri. Beautiful historic schools that are being repurposed for apartments. I love historic buildings so I was glad to see that these were not demolished. Thanks for the nudge to research these.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,505,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Stealth: I did a cursory search for abandoned school buildings for sale. I hit upon a Missouri. Beautiful historic schools that are being repurposed for apartments. I love historic buildings so I was glad to see that these were not demolished. Thanks for the nudge to research these.
RE is a PT hobby (~40 properties)

I have done many in WA, including one adjacent to the "Only-Sense-of-Reason on the entirety I-5" (Hamilton Farms 'Uncle Sam Sign at exit 72). They are a very interesting family that 'survive a lot of death and violence threats' for freedom of expressing a conservative viewpoint in the diversified (?) left coast.

ALL RE is local, I get taught that everyday in practice.

My kids (Who designed and built their own rural view homes in jr hi) enlighten me to the 'Local' RE truth as well. One has had to do the Seattle home investment thing since age 18. (I bought my first home at age 19 so my parents would have a place to live).

My mom 'repurposed a school house' after she retired (as well as 9 other homes throughout western USA).

I would really like to repurpose some schools to 'senior cooperative owned housing' functioning as cross generational community service / mentoring centers with activities for community interest (Much like NZ does through their Ministry of Health).

There is no way you can snatch an example of a home value in bo-dunk USA and apply it to another region.

Examples abound. Even when I was in WY, One yr homes were sky-high and in tight demand... then came the 1974 Oil Embargo. Some of those homes sat VACANT for over 10 yrs. Unable to sell to anyone. Entire towns dried up. WY is very nice place to live and work and have the BEST neighbors and superb schools and $3k / yr FT college tuition! WY is State Income tax free, and adjacent to MT (Sales tax free).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.