Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 09:03 AM

6,219 posts, read 3,538,326 times

Advertisements

I'm from New York where every rider is required to wear one.

But when I go to Pennsylvania (where helmet use is not mandatory), I see like 90+% of bikers not wearing them! Very brave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 10:01 AM

451 posts, read 359,475 times
Surprisingly, Missouri has a helmet law but Illinois does not. I'd say a large majority of Harley riders in IL do not wear helmets.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Surprisingly, Missouri has a helmet law but Illinois does not. I'd say a large majority of Harley riders in IL do not wear helmets.
That is quite surprising. MO is considered to be one of the most libertarian states in the country, while IL is not.

So would you say that Harley riders tend to not wear them, while sport bike riders tend to wear them?

Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
When I used to drive into New Hampshire I never saw them wearing helmets because they aren’t required to.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
When I used to drive into New Hampshire I never saw them wearing helmets because they aren’t required to.
I saw a lot of that in CT the last time I drove through it

NH is also the only state that has no seatbelt laws.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Hate to be stereotypical, but most cruiser riders do not wear helmets. And Most other type riders(Adventure bikes, dirt bikes, sport bikes,etc.) Do wear helmets.

If a cruiser dude does wear a helmet it's usually the least protective helmet(Half helmet)

I ride both. My motto is "You do you" I don't care and force it upon others. They know the risk. We all take a risk just riding a bike. And everyone always has to remind us how motorcycles are dangerous.(That's so annoying)

anyway. Helmet wearing has become politicized. I learned from being on various moto forums.
People feel that helmet laws infringe on their freedom. That it is the beginning of government telling you what to do on a personal level. At what point does the government stop telling you what to do....
Kind of the whole corona virus situation going on right now. With people protesting and politicizing a disease.

Funny fact, during the whole sturgis even, you will find a bunch of abandoned helmets on the "Welcome to Nebraska" state sign to show their disdain of helmets after they leave.

I wrote a lot but there's finally a motorcycle related topic on city data. And it's basically my life.

P.S. I wear my full face helmet on both my naked sport bike and on my Harley.

I agree that this type of thing (freedom vs authoritarianism) is highly politicized, and yes that also applies to the covid thing.

But IL and CT are not known as being libertarian states, and they don't require helmets.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:07 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,546,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I ride both. My motto is "You do you" I don't care and force it upon others. They know the risk. We all take a risk just riding a bike. And everyone always has to remind us how motorcycles are dangerous.(That's so annoying)
What about the people that have to pay higher insurance premiums because areas without helmet requirements are considered higher risk? If I as an automobile driver have to pay higher insurance because more bikers are not wearing helmets, then that's not really fair to me.

Someone has to pay actual cash for the risk that bikers take and that shouldn't come from non-bike drivers.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
What about the people that have to pay higher insurance premiums because areas without helmet requirements are considered higher risk? If I as an automobile driver have to pay higher insurance because more bikers are not wearing helmets, then that's not really fair to me.

Someone has to pay actual cash for the risk that bikers take and that shouldn't come from non-bike drivers.

I don't think there are enough of these people to make a difference. Also, if someone crashes and dies instantly, there would not be any money spent on their care.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:48 PM

15,194 posts, read 8,794,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That is quite surprising. MO is considered to be one of the most libertarian states in the country, while IL is not.

So would you say that Harley riders tend to not wear them, while sport bike riders tend to wear them?
It has nothing to do with how liberal a state is. It has to do with how many motorcycle clubs there are in the state and how hard they lobby to get privileges, like not wearing helmets.

It's the same for bicycle groups, that lobby for laws that defy common sense, such as the rights of bicycle riders to run stop signs.

If you are organized and willing to spend enough money, you can get any laws you want, no matter how dumb they are.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It has nothing to do with how liberal a state is. It has to do with how many motorcycle clubs there are in the state and how hard they lobby to get privileges, like not wearing helmets.

It's the same for bicycle groups, that lobby for laws that defy common sense, such as the rights of bicycle riders to run stop signs.

If you are organized and willing to spend enough money, you can get any laws you want, no matter how dumb they are.
Interesting. I'm sure a lot of those Southern states and Nevada have a high concentration of bikers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.