Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 03:14 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't get the Boise love. I know the area is beautiful, but real estate there, has gotten very expensive, and it's a long way from a major city (i.e. isolated). The population is fairly small...population density is low...I think people might get bored, in the long-term.
I think the kinds of people who would get bored in a Boise-sized city are finding ways to live in expensive big cities, like living with roommates. Or they're just moving out to cities like that anyway, maybe to find a job or because they just had a kid and need their own place, and are indeed bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 03:38 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Small cities, tech, and government. Makes sense. Its much easier for a smaller city to turn around than a larger one.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Uh... "Boise love" has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic being discussed.
Actually, it does.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:48 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Boise and SLC do get a lot of tourism, and will be hurt by it. Check out sunset magazine as evidence, there's Boise ads everywhere. Those two spots are not going be as unscathed by this virus as a lot of boosters are hoping for. Even college towns are going to be hurt by it, I can see a lot of people putting off college until the virus problems have been slowed.
Personally, I think blue collar towns that have slow rates of infection will do best(everybody needs goods, not everybody needs new apps). Then college towns like Provo after them.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:54 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Actually, it does.
It kind of reminds me of an Idaho version of Austin. I believe that its attracting California and Washington transplants and despite it being expensive, its still much cheaper than the areas they're moving from and still offers a touche of nature so to speak.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM

130 posts, read 86,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Boise and SLC do get a lot of tourism, and will be hurt by it. Check out sunset magazine as evidence, there's Boise ads everywhere. Those two spots are not going be as unscathed by this virus as a lot of boosters are hoping for. Even college towns are going to be hurt by it, I can see a lot of people putting off college until the virus problems have been slowed.
Personally, I think blue collar towns that have slow rates of infection will do best(everybody needs goods, not everybody needs new apps). Then college towns like Provo after them.
Provo has two large universities but it’s metro is also 500k+ with some pretty large tech companies in the area such as Adobe, and Vivint.

Salt Lake and Park City’s tourism is primarily based around skiing during the winter months, it’s economy is heavily tech and finance, Goldman Sachs 2nd largest location outside of NYC is located in SLC. I’d argue it’s not all that tourism dependent and neither is Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.