Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM

379 posts, read 468,357 times

Advertisements

All - I am currently stuck in Manhattan - looking to get away this summer for some R&R. Both VA and NH are about equadistant (White Mountains and Shenandoah area). What do you all feel are the more impressive mountains area? More prominent, vertical, wow factor inducing?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 01:35 PM

506 posts, read 476,983 times
I like both areas. I like Vermont better than both if you'd like to consider visiting there instead.

Personally I find the mountains of NH more impressive. The granite look makes a difference. But I find the Shenandoah Valley more visually appealing with the open views. There's more open spaces there. Driving Skyline Drive is an unparalleled experience.

The Shenandoah is much larger. I also find it less touristy than the NH mountains area. VA also has better roads for access. In the summer, the White Mountains can actually be pretty busy and the roads can be a little crowded.

You'll probably find a better variety of small inns and b and bs in NH than VA.

Both areas have nice towns. Overall, Shenandoah has larger towns to visit while NH has mostly smaller villages.

The culture and history in both areas is very different. I enjoy the cultural and historical sites of the Shenandoah more than NH.

To sum it up, if you want mountains, pick NH. If you want forest and woods, pick NH. If you want open views, open valleys, and mountains, pick VA. If you want to relax in a small town or small city, pick VA. If you want to experience historical and cultural sites, pick VA.

If you want all of the above, pick Vermont.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I traveled the Virginia mountains for work, and the Shenendoah Valley is absolutely beautiful. I also like the history around there with 3 presidents' homes a close drive.

Virginia

Old 05-13-2020, 01:44 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would recommend VA's Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley. It's truly beautiful and find the mountain vistas/rolling landscape around the valley unbeatable for scenery on the east coast. There's also some great towns for walkabouts, shopping and restaurants such as Staunton or Lexington. If inclined to enjoy wineries Virginia's selection and quality meets or exceeds every other state in the US save California. Check out the vineyards, tasting rooms and views at wineries such as Linden, Quiveremont, Horton, Afton Mountain, Rappahannock, Pearmund and dozens more. It's also a great destination for foodies with restaurants like the legendary Inn at Little Washington, The Blue Door, Three Blacksmiths, Red Fox Inn, The Ashby Inn and others. The Charlottesville area is also a great hub for wineries and history with Thomas Jefferson's home (Monticello) and fellow POTUS James Monroe's home (Highland). Charlottesville has a very nice downtown with pedestrian mall that's a worthy visit with some great restaurants as well. Check out The C&O!

Old 05-13-2020, 01:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
I like both areas. I like Vermont better than both if you'd like to consider visiting there instead.

Personally I find the mountains of NH more impressive. The granite look makes a difference. But I find the Shenandoah Valley more visually appealing with the open views. There's more open spaces there. Driving Skyline Drive is an unparalleled experience.

The Shenandoah is much larger. I also find it less touristy than the NH mountains area. VA also has better roads for access. In the summer, the White Mountains can actually be pretty busy and the roads can be a little crowded.

You'll probably find a better variety of small inns and b and bs in NH than VA.

Both areas have nice towns. Overall, Shenandoah has larger towns to visit while NH has mostly smaller villages.

The culture and history in both areas is very different. I enjoy the cultural and historical sites of the Shenandoah more than NH.

To sum it up, if you want mountains, pick NH. If you want forest and woods, pick NH. If you want open views, open valleys, and mountains, pick VA. If you want to relax in a small town or small city, pick VA. If you want to experience historical and cultural sites, pick VA.

If you want all of the above, pick Vermont.
NH has better views as it has like 30 peaks above the timberline you can see to the ocean from the top of Mt Washington.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:58 PM

506 posts, read 476,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NH has better views as it has like 30 peaks above the timberline you can see to the ocean from the top of Mt Washington.
The views are farther in NH, true, but I feel the views in VA are more varied and pleasant, with open valleys and rivers.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:04 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
The views are farther in NH, true, but I feel the views in VA are more varied and pleasant, with open valleys and rivers.
I would agree than NH is less Ridge and Valley than places from PA south but I think the vastness of the vistas are cooler in NH.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:13 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
NH are my favorite mountains on the east coast

Old 05-14-2020, 12:52 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
For how many days?

New Hampshire's mountains are more unique, impressive and difficult for hiking.

But Virginia has a MUCH larger mountainous terrain. The Appalachian Trail is 25% in Virginia (550 miles). Trekkers through Virginia even have a term called Virginia Blues because the mountains go on forever and you can spend up to two months just traversing the Commonwealth (with the average being closer to 40 days).

And the sites are incredibly varied. In the Shenandoah Valley and Western Piedmont you have:
Blue Ridge Parkway
Charlottesville and Monticello
Grayson Highlands (ponies!)
Hot Springs and the Homestead Resort (very old and famous resort)
Luray Caverns (largest East Coast cave system)
McAfee Knob
Monticello Wine Trail
Mount Rogers
Natural Bridge
Old Rag Mountain
Shenandoah National Park
Smith Mountain Lake
Staunton
Triple Crown (a very tough hike near Roanoke with great views)

If I had a week or more, Virginia would be my preference. New Hampshire for <3 days. The size difference is huge.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:06 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
If I had a week or more, Virginia would be my preference. New Hampshire for <3 days. The size difference is huge.
Yeah but state lines don't mean much. White Mountains continue from New Hampshire on into Maine where you have the Rangeley Lakes, Moosehead and eventually Mt Katahdin. Or cross over into Vermont where the Green Mtns are their own chain. White Mtns in New Hampshire take the wow factor prize for hikers; the beauty there is rugged, exhilarating with open rocky ridges and summits. The New Hampshire-Maine forest is northern hardwoods plus hemlock, spruce, fir-- gorgeous woods. The beauty in Va is pastoral beauty. It's lovely for driving -- pastures and fields, gentle mountains, southern hardwood forests. You don't have to hike at all in Virginia to enjoy it-- pretend you're a boomer and cruise the Skyline Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.