Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 01:19 PM

130 posts, read 86,527 times

Advertisements

For mountain outdoor recreation and tech jobs nothing really comes close to SLC and Denver. SLC is much closer the the mountains than Denver, you can live downtown and be just minutes away from all the outdoor recreation.

Before coronavirus SLC had the lowest unemployment of larger metro areas. https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...city-achieves/

It is also ranked to be one of the best cities to recover from the crisis along with Denver and Boise.
Boise is sorta like a smaller SLC with lower wages and less tech jobs, it doesn’t have nearly the tech boom that SLC and Denver have. Boise’s cost of living is quickly catching up to SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 03:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
Asheville is also cool, but I've heard its a tourist trap and more expensive. I visited Roanoke last month and it was nice. I prefer mountains over the beach. Hiking, kayaking, mtb, camping, etc. At the moment I look for a presence of tech jobs, but at some point if I freelance or work remotely for a company that may not matter.
You need to visit Asheville and decide for yourself versus taking some random person's summary. It hasn't become one of the most loved cities in the US on the back of being a "tourist trap". It also isn't as expensive as some make it out to be and you may have noticed an overall pattern where more desirable cities with limited space for expansion aren't exactly cheap. Such is Asheville's case but bear in mind the average nicer one bedroom apartment rents for just over $1000 a month and the average home price is just above 300K, hardly back-breaking if you consider there's a lot of desirable homes available around 200K-250K. Asheville has been named by multiple sources as one of the few top "outdoor cities" in the US and is set among spectacular scenery. Lesser known but a nice surprise is the food scene which rivals or often exceeds cities 15 to 20 times it's size with every concept imaginable from BBQ to fine dining. What makes it expensive is the lack of jobs that can afford even those numbers so if you have the option to freelance or work remotely there which many do, you're all set.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:35 PM

75 posts, read 63,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You need to visit Asheville and decide for yourself versus taking some random person's summary
Thanks for the insight! I'll have to go visit. I had a remote job with a decent wage it would be one of my top choices.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:14 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
It isn’t west but Fayetteville Arkansas offers affordability with jobs and excellent outdoors. Of western metros, I’d say Boise Idaho although it has become expensive.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 PM

75 posts, read 63,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
For mountain outdoor recreation and tech jobs nothing really comes close to SLC and Denver.
I honestly keep looking at Denver. It would be nice to live closer to my brother. However I keep looking at rent and its too high. My rent in Raleigh is 600 (with roommate). It is not hard to find a 2 bedroom for around $1200. Denver is more like 2k for a 2 bedroom. That is flat out not within my current budget. My brother got very lucky with a $600 renting situation. However he lives in the basement of like a 100 year old house. $600 is almost unheard of. Rent will only continue to rise. No thankyou. Maybe later when I am making more money.

SLC on the other hand is tempting. I've thought a lot about SLC tbh.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:38 PM

130 posts, read 86,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
I honestly keep looking at Denver. It would be nice to live closer to my brother. However I keep looking at rent and its too high. My rent in Raleigh is 600 (with roommate). It is not hard to find a 2 bedroom for around $1200. Denver is more like 2k for a 2 bedroom. That is flat out not within my current budget. My brother got very lucky with a $600 renting situation. However he lives in the basement of like a 100 year old house. $600 is almost unheard of. Rent will only continue to rise. No thankyou. Maybe later when I am making more money.

SLC on the other hand is tempting. I've thought a lot about SLC tbh.
I currently live in SLC and rent is definitely on the rise here as well. You can absolutely find 1200 two bedroom apartments but they might be a little older. I live is a studio for $1100 in a newer building. There are some websites where you can compare the cost of living in different cities.

If you put some time into finding a deal on rent in Denver I’m sure they are out there, it might be more difficult to find since you aren’t actually there yet. Jobs will also pay more in Denver, places where people want to live usually have a higher cost of living and both these cities are growing like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.