Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite desert in the US?
Mojave Desert (parts of southern CA, southern NV, northwest AZ, extreme SE Utah) 12 21.05%
Sonoran Desert (parts of southern CA, central/southern AZ) 14 24.56%
Chihuahuan Desert (south/central NM, extreme west TX) 13 22.81%
Colorado Plateau (the "four corners" area of CO, UT, NM, AZ) 14 24.56%
Great Basin (parts of CA, most of NV, western UT, parts of OR) 3 5.26%
Other (write in) 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

i voted the 4 corner area, the place is magic! love the area, but I also love bryce canyon and arches, would those be included in the 4 corners area or somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i voted the 4 corner area, the place is magic! love the area, but I also love bryce canyon and arches, would those be included in the 4 corners area or somewhere else?
Yeah, the technical name for that whole piece of land (which includes Arches, and Bryce, pretty much all of southern Utah, northern/northeastern AZ, northwest NM, and extreme west CO) is the Colorado Plateau. I voted that as my favorite desert region (although technically it's probably more like "semi-arid" than full blown desert). Come to think of it, I change my vote-- not to take anything away from Arizona, but I think Utah has the best desert scenery in the nation.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM

221 posts, read 519,635 times
Sonoran Desert for me.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,333 times
I love the Sonoran desert. The cactus and red rocks are amazing.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
I love the Sonoran desert. The cactus and red rocks are amazing.
Not many red rocks in the Sonoran at all.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
I'll always love the Chihuahuan.

Despite getting cut up by one to many lechuguillas

Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not many red rocks in the Sonoran at all.
Well technically, there are some-- right in the Phoenix area you have Camelback Mountain, Papago Park, and Red Mountain which all have a reddish tinge, but generally, you are right, steve-o. One thing I find hillarious is when cartoonish versions of Arizona, such as the new "live the golden rule" AZ license plate, mix and match the red buttes of Monument Valley and the Colorado plateau of northern AZ and southern UT with the saguaro cactus of the Sonoran desert of southern AZ (which is always portrayed in a stereotypical shape with a perfectly straight body, one small "hump" and then a large "hump" on the opposite end below-- even though most saguaros do not look exactly like that shape), even though those two environments represent completely different climates and geologies. The Colorado Plateau is a "cold" desert where it gets below freezing in the winter with snow; saguaro cactuses cannot survive those kinds of winter conditions. The fact that the state of AZ with their new designer "live the golden rule" license plate is promoting this cartoonish myth is pretty sad, IMO.

Here is a link with an image of what the plate looks like. I have nothing to do with the site-- it just happens to be the only place I found when I googled the license plate. It shows a green saguaro sitting in front of the Grand Canyon. Saguaros do not grow anywhere in or around the Grand Canyon.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Default Viva Chihuahuan!!

A vote for the Chihuahuan Desert.

The Albuquerque-through-Las Cruces-through El Paso region is my favorite region in the nation.

To me, outside of coastal (southern) California, this is the best weather in the US, plus still manageable population levels, costs of living, and the sights are incredible.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
I'd give a serious vouch for the Chihuahuan desert. There's just something magical when you mix deserts and mountains together. It's the one closest to my house.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Well technically, there are some-- right in the Phoenix area you have Camelback Mountain, Papago Park, and Red Mountain which all have a reddish tinge, but generally, you are right, steve-o. One thing I find hillarious is when cartoonish versions of Arizona, such as the new "live the golden rule" AZ license plate, mix and match the red buttes of Monument Valley and the Colorado plateau of northern AZ and southern UT with the saguaro cactus of the Sonoran desert of southern AZ (which is always portrayed in a stereotypical shape with a perfectly straight body, one small "hump" and then a large "hump" on the opposite end below-- even though most saguaros do not look exactly like that shape), even though those two environments represent completely different climates and geologies. The Colorado Plateau is a "cold" desert where it gets below freezing in the winter with snow; saguaro cactuses cannot survive those kinds of winter conditions. The fact that the state of AZ with their new designer "live the golden rule" license plate is promoting this cartoonish myth is pretty sad, IMO.

Here is a link with an image of what the plate looks like. I have nothing to do with the site-- it just happens to be the only place I found when I googled the license plate. It shows a green saguaro sitting in front of the Grand Canyon. Saguaros do not grow anywhere in or around the Grand Canyon.
Absolutely. That new plate is hideous, I really hope thats just an option. Looks like a Warner Brothers-ish Grand Canyon drawing with a saguaro thrown in the mix. Nast! And that slogan is retarded too.

And youre correct, no saguaro cacti will survive the 4 corners region, or even New Mexico for that matter, its too cold. The best red rock country is southern Utah and western New Mexico. There are parts of northern AZ (ie Page area) that have beautiful red rocks, but there are hardly any in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.