Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times

Advertisements

I did a search 20 years ago for tho most populous counties with no 4-lane link to the interstate system. The top two were Marquette and Grand Traverse, Michigan, and I think 7 of the top ten were in Michigan. San Angelo TX was the biggest city without 4-lane access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 08:00 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You're technically correct in that Alaska does have interstate highways. However, none of them are signed as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ways_in_Alaska

It's really stretching things to call these roads "interstates." Most of them aren't even expressways, just two lane roads. I believe the longest highway in Alaska that is actually built to interstate standards is the 38-mile stretch of the Glenn Highway from Anchorage to Wasilla.
I think that it means PART of A-1 is considered an Interstate and built to standards not all of it, but so I guess it still means Anchorage has interstate access. I'm NOT sure if there's a 4-lane highway connecting Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Juneau doesn't have any freeways and has no direct road link to the outside world at all. I believe the year round population is around 35,000 though there are easily many times that in the summer season since there's lots of summer jobs and cruise ship tourists.

Hawaii definitely has legit Interstates that are freeways in the Honolulu metro area, though I don't think any of the other islands have it. The most important roads on the Big Island are only two lanes except in certain limited spots and nowhere on the Big Island is there a speed limit greater than 55. The lack of freeways contributes to the charm there though.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think that it means PART of A-1 is considered an Interstate and built to standards not all of it, but so I guess it still means Anchorage has interstate access. I'm NOT sure if there's a 4-lane highway connecting Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Juneau doesn't have any freeways and has no direct road link to the outside world at all. I believe the year round population is around 35,000 though there are easily many times that in the summer season since there's lots of summer jobs and cruise ship tourists.

Hawaii definitely has legit Interstates that are freeways in the Honolulu metro area, though I don't think any of the other islands have it. The most important roads on the Big Island are only two lanes except in certain limited spots and nowhere on the Big Island is there a speed limit greater than 55. The lack of freeways contributes to the charm there though.
The linked Wikipedia article states that the entirety of what they call A-1, etc. are included in the interstate system. And this strikes me as odd, insofar as the great majority of the mileage on these roads are two-lane surface highways, not limited-access expressways. I've driven some of those roads, and there is absolutely no indication that they are officially considered part of the interstate system. Oh, and the only road connecting Anchorage with Fairbanks is State Highway 3, the Parks Highway, which is a two-lane road except for within Fairbanks and from Wasilla to Anchorage. (Technically, Highway 3 ends in Wasilla, but one can then pick up Highway 1, the Glenn Highway, the rest of the way to Anchorage.)

And you're right, no Hawaiian island other than Oahu has expressways. The Big Island has one stretch of divided highway, namely the 8-mile segment of Highway 11 from Hilo to Kea'au. There are a few other roads in Hilo and Kailua-Kona and maybe a short segment in Waimea (I can't recall for sure) that are four-lane, but not divided. Parts of the Saddle Road are three-lane (two uphill, one downhill.) But everything else is two-lane.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 652,920 times
Bryan/College Station TX is a fairly populated area without an interstate. Bryan is barely clipped by an US Highway.

Prior to I-69, Bloomington, IN was one of the largest towns that did not have a US Highway and an interstate. That changed with the construction of I-69.

Just now looking, Fresno, CA is probably the current largest area that doesn't have an interstate and a US Highway.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's because they built the loops around PHX after the federal government stopped allocating for new spurs in the 80's/ 90's. PHX has a fairly extensive freeway network between AZ101, 202, 53, 303, US-60 etc. I think it would be intellectually dishonest to consider it for part of this discussion just because they aren't technically I-spurs.

Also I-8 in Pinal County is part of PHX metro.
It has a regional freeway system, yes. But the title of the OP is "What is the largest urban area with no Interstate or Auxiliary Interstate?" The answer in Phoenix.

Interstate 8 is not an auxiliary interstate. Auxiliary interstates are characterized by 3 numbers (ex. 105, 215, 635, 485). Therefore the answer to the OP's question is Phoenix.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:17 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Someone recently had a thread on "What is the largest city with no Bypass". So, my question (to broaden and specify the subject) is: What is the largest urban area that contains no Interstate (I-*, I-**) or Auxiliary Interstate (I-***)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It has a regional freeway system, yes. But the title of the OP is "What is the largest urban area with no Interstate or Auxiliary Interstate?" The answer in Phoenix.

Interstate 8 is not an auxiliary interstate. Auxiliary interstates are characterized by 3 numbers (ex. 105, 215, 635, 485). Therefore the answer to the OP's question is Phoenix.
I believe you've misunderstood the OP's question. He was asking about cities that do not have primary or auxiliary interstates -- not cities that have primary interstates but not auxiliary ones. Also, Phoenix is not served by Interstate 8. It is served by Interstates 10 and 17.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That's because they built the loops around PHX after the federal government stopped allocating for new spurs in the 80's/ 90's. PHX has a fairly extensive freeway network between AZ101, 202, 53, 303, US-60 etc. I think it would be intellectually dishonest to consider it for part of this discussion just because they aren't technically I-spurs.

Also I-8 in Pinal County is part of PHX metro.
PHX has the BEST Highway system in a major urban area.

Other cities, University Departments of Civil Engineering, etc. all should travel to PHX to see how to build a free way system.

FULL DISCLOSURE.....I don’t like large cities and I really appreciate the efforts of PHX to speed my trip in and out of town as quickly and safely as possible.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:45 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Four state capitals are not directly served by an interstate: Dover, Jefferson City, Juneau, and Pierre. Of those, Dover has the largest MSA (I think around 185,000), followed by Jefferson City. However, Jefferson City doesn’t meet the OP’s criteria because there is an interstate within its MSA, passing through a mostly rural area.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I know I-5 technically goes through Fresno County, but I feel like the clear answer still is...Fresno.

Myrtle Beach doesnt have one either and honestly at this point, it probably never will happen. Theyve been trying since the 80s at least. It would also require cooperation from NC, who don't seem that interested right now.

Dover, DE seems like another one.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:56 AM

10 posts, read 17,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

So Fresno and Myrtle Beach are probably the largest metro areas with no Interstate highways, though Myrtle Beach does have freeways built to Interstate standards, Fresno may not.
Fresno is an hour from I-5 and Myrtle Beach is an hour and 45 minutes from I-95, but there’s a Bucees now, so that’s something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.