Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Okay? And in Chicago we call em expressways. Not freeways.
That doesn't mean anything.
I thought they are tollways in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I-94,55,57 are not tolls.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Which cities other than Los Angeles use the word “the”? As in “The five is backed up”. I remember years ago a Seattle traffic reporter used the expression and consequently was shamed for it!

Old 08-11-2022, 06:36 PM

22 posts, read 15,097 times
Tyler, texas

Old 08-12-2022, 12:46 AM

253 posts, read 199,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The ones we pay for, yeah. But the rest are expressways which are then called my their overlapping presidential names.

The Ike, the Dan Ryan, the Stevenson, The Kennedy, etc

Old 08-12-2022, 10:00 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
In NYC and surroundings it's the FDR, the West Side Hwy, the Cross Bronx, the Hutch, the Belt, the Deegan, so on and so on.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:30 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Myrtle Beach indeed is another one, and as I remember I-73 was supposed(if fully upgraded to interstate standards) to one day be extended south and east from north of Rockingham to Myrtle Beach? And yes it is THAT same Rockingham town I said, known for having a NASCAR racetrack.

And now that I looked one more time at NC, Greenville(NC) is pretty sizable to not have a interstate system designated expressway connecting it to I-95. Although US 264(which is limited access and had exits, but maybe it's slightly short of meeting interstate standards a la California 99) connects Greenville, to I-95. There is an I-795 spur west of there, but it primarily serves Wilson and Goldsboro.

Jacksonville(NC, and a military town) might be the 2nd biggest city east of I-95 and I-40, to not have a designated interstate. And unlike Greenville, doesn't have a limited access highway with exits connecting it to it's closest interstate(I-40). NC Hwy 24 has been upgraded to 4 lanes(and connects to I-40), but it doesn't have any exits or limited access parts.
Updating this post to note the following changes:
  • I-73 should be completed as a interstate around Rockingham, North Carolina by the fall of 2025. All that's left on the North Carolina portion of the interstate is to have about 5 miles go south into South Carolina, albeit a few miles east of Rockingham. The problem is that South Carolina has been dragging on building any part of the interstate between the North Carolina border and Myrtle Beach, and given a multitude of challenges involved for that effort ranging from environmental lawsuits to lack of money for construction the road in the state, I seriously doubt it will be built in South Carolina in any of our lifetimes.
  • Greenville, North Carolina, now does have an officially designated interstate highway connection. I-587 connects the city to the I-795 spur coming off I-95 near Wilson.
  • There's little appetite that I've heard by North Carolina officials to get an interstate to Jacksonville, even though the state is high on highways right now. The problem is other competing major projects in the state, including I-73 and I-74, take precedence and Jacksonville hasn't got the political clout to fight for an interstate, if indeed city leaders want to do that. Given that it's about an hour drive midway between Wilimington (terminus of I-40) and Morehead City (planned terminus for the proposed I-42), I don't see a spur from either direction coming its way anytime soon, even if it involved upgrading NC 24.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:32 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
What are some of the largest urban areas with no freeways at all?

Wenatchee, WA (116k) and Lewiston, ID (63k) are a couple small MSAs without freeways that come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.