Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'm partial to NYC, being a native and not a huge LA fan. Even so, there's a number of areas in LA that are more interesting than Hollywood. Hollywood is actually kinda lame, IMO.

radraja brings up a good point about NYC's summer humidity - it can get pretty bad. However, many people flee town during those months and the peak tourists seasons are actually spring/fall (appropriately), so you can take in the sights in New York during the summer with smaller crowds. There's also a lot of cool events, like Shakespeare in the Park or Coney Island's Siren Festival.

Basically, do you prefer urban living or beach living? There's your answer.
That's your answer if you can afford to live on the beach. If not it's just one urban area against another. I'd go with New York because there is so much more to do and see. After you've done the amusement parks and Grauman's Chinese Theatre and Venice Beach youre pretty much done with LA. If you're going to get a car and see other parts of the state then you might have a horserace. But if you're just going LA versus NY, then NY by a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
definantly New York! Endless,endless,endless possibilities of things to do! The city's amazing, that would be the first city on earth i would spend a summer in if i could

Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 PM

Location: A right angle directly south of Sac and east of the bay area
120 posts, read 385,713 times
hollywierd

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 PM

145 posts, read 508,881 times
L.A easily

manhattan is humid during the summer

i just dont get what there is to "do" in manhattan that makes it so fun. take a subway? you could do that in L.A...

theatre? maybe if thats your cup of tea...

but what else?

L.A all the way

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post
L.A easily

i just dont get what there is to "do" in manhattan that makes it so fun. take a subway? you could do that in L.A...

but what else?

L.A all the way
You're right. There's nothing to do in NEW YORK CITY...

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
Quote:
L.A easily

but what else?

L.A all the way
Have you actually been to New York?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,988 times
Default I have to say NYC

Quote:
i just dont get what there is to "do" in manhattan that makes it so fun.
Well you must have never been to NY. NEw York has SO much to do I cant even list it all. LA is very limited if you do not have a car. & pretty much anything you can do in LA you can do in NY as well. I am a person who loves LA. In fact I plan to move there but am also a NYC native so if I had a chance to do one city over the other it would be NYC by a mile. LA is a nice place & all but you really do need a car to do most of the stuff. NY on the other hand has great public transit with so much to do. There are museums, theatre, summer movies in Bryant park, Fine dining, cheap eats (with better food than LA except In & Out & Roscos) Central Park where you can rent boats, rent horses or just hang out. Theres also Chelsea Piers. You can go to the beach as well, You can get to Six flags or Atlantic City via port authority, You can go to Coney Island (watch your back if you go at night) The city is very walkable & each area has its own uniqueness. Hang out in the Village or the LES (my 2 favs) & see street performers in Washington Square. NYC has a fabulous nightlife that is much larger than just going to the hot spots of the moment.Great comedy clubs, Madison Square Garden historical sights & great tourist attactions like the Statue of Liberty & Empire State building. the one thing I can say is it does get humid but I find it somewhat lessens after 4pm.If its a really humid day ride the Staten Island ferry & sit outside. It free & the breeze feels nice.

Last edited by Calibound-Yorkiemom; 04-27-2008 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
NYC hands down and then some, it has the edge in every possible way! If you want to see what the Hollywood version of NYC is though, just head to Bed Stuy in Brooklyn (gangs, homeless, intervenous drug users, crime trannies etc!) without that gay sign on the hill!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:

Except the subways in Manhattan actually encompass more than three square blocks

Old 04-28-2008, 12:20 AM

253 posts, read 1,106,988 times
Thumbs down It looks like your texas was showing in that response

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
NYC hands down and then some, it has the edge in every possible way! If you want to see what the Hollywood version of NYC is though, just head to Bed Stuy in Brooklyn (gangs, homeless, intervenous drug users, crime trannies etc!) without that gay sign on the hill!
Are you referring ot Bed Stuy in the 80s? 90s?I have to disagree with you there Bed stuy is hardly that. there are druggies homeless & gangs but it is no longer overrun with them & the same thing can be said about place like LES. & as far as Trannies??? What part of Bed Stuy are you referring to? Most of the trannies I knew tend to hang out in Manhattan. I knew a lot of them that hung out in areas like Greenwich Village meat packing district & Chelsea. these happen to be some of the most expensive & happening parts of the city. I don mt know what wrong with Trannies anyway. Most of them wont bother you if you dont mess with them. I would hope if someone is looking to make a decison between Hollywood & NYC they would be open minded enough to not care whether folks are trannie or not. Diversity is something that is prevalant in both cities. You comments sound bias it looks like your Texas is showing you might want to conceal that. Its ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.