Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:44 AM

95 posts, read 79,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Other than itty bitty examples such as Hurricane Katrina and 27 others since the year 2000.
Haha, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:28 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
You could look at Long Island NY.

It’s not as mild as previous places ppl mentioned ... schools are some of the best in the nation ... less hurricanes than places in the South ... big boat culture. I’m in my late 30’s & we’ve really only had one devastating natural disaster since i’ve been here (Hurricane Sandy) & many places in the middle of the island further away from water were not that effected

It’s an island lol & everywhere is less than 2hrs to water ... downside: expensive

Old 06-08-2020, 01:11 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,913,949 times
The Chesapeake and Delaware Bay region (DE/MD/VA) should also check off most of your boxes. LOTS of rivers in addition to the two bays to explore, and hurricanes are rarely a problem. Just be wary about living in a flood zone since that tends to be the greatest dangers regarding severe weather, but if you live away from a flood plain, you should be fine. Winters are chilly but usually not too snowy and not too long, spring/fall are usually nice, and summertime is great too of the water, just watch out for thunderstorms. Live near a city (Hampton Roads/Williamsburg, Annapolis, suburban Baltimore, Richmond, DC, New Castle County DE) for the greatest amenities, job opportunities, and best education, though you will have to pay a bit more to live than on the less expensive Delmarva peninsula or necks of Virginia.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,691,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprushiek View Post
I’m looking for a place to live in the US that’s near/on water. These are the things I’m looking for:

-Near a lake or the ocean (or large river)
-Near the either coast (within a 2 hour drive to the ocean)
-A warmer/mild climate
-Boating (my husband likes to fish too)
-Not too bad of natural disasters
-Good Schools
-Near amenities/good hospitals

I would love to be near the ocean somewhere that I can have a speed boat (like an inlet area), but I want to be near stuff too!

Anyone have any places they can think of?! Thank you sooo much!!!!

Katy
You've been looking for almost a year now. Still haven't found anything interesting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.